The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, glenburn bud said:

Quite surprised if true but it would make sense if this is one of the reasons behind Goodwin pushing to get Brophy in right away.

Euan Deveney and Innes Cameron both played for us against Dunfermline when we had to field half a youth team, and both subsequently played in the last 16 for Falkirk and Ayr respectively after being loaned out.

Good to know: sadly we're playing the world's 22nd most in-form team in the semi. 
Spoiler

image.png.2ebf565bf4fb332416fd30ede586ef13.png

CC: [mention=68603]ATLIS[/mention], [mention=16057]LIVIFOREVER[/mention] - having done the research, might as well show it to some relevant people.

Who the hell are CPC? 37 goals in 5 games??

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Euan Deveney and Innes Cameron both played for us against Dunfermline when we had to field half a youth team, and both subsequently played in the last 16 for Falkirk and Ayr respectively after being loaned out.

That’s interesting, I was about to go and read through section 8 of the relevant ruling. But I’m already falling asleep at my desk in work.🤣

23 minutes ago, Biscuits said:
36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
Good to know: sadly we're playing the world's 22nd most in-form team in the semi. 
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

CC: [mention=68603]ATLIS[/mention], [mention=16057]LIVIFOREVER[/mention] - having done the research, might as well show it to some relevant people.

Runaway leaders in the Taiwanese league, by the looks of it.

Edited by Coventry Saint

24 minutes ago, Biscuits said:
37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

@Chicken Wing @DA Baracus good work lads

29 minutes ago, Biscuits said:
42 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Might be more than 37, that's just their GD over 5 games, we've scored 11 but conceded 2, so have a +9 on that chart.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Might pave the way for Durmus to be the make weight in the Brophy deal. Presumably the new guy has dual nationality with his father being Ghanian which might be the way round a work permit as opposed to being from the EU.

I had wondered about Durmus; he's the only other player that crossed my mind as being desirable enough to Killie, that we would also probably be happy to part with. If we switch to 4-4-2 he's probably going to be behind McGrath and Mason* in the pecking order.

* whether people agree with that or not.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hide contents

CC: @ATLIS, @LIVIFOREVER - having done the research, might as well show it to some relevant people.

We’ve got Celtic twice, Ross County and Aberdeen between now and then so we might be at the other end of the table by that time 

So here's the thing, with all this chat of swap/loan deals I really don't think we should be looking to offload anyone other than Erwin and seeing as he's still got 18 months to run I can't see that being overly useful to us.

I'm not in favour of Durmus leaving in this window because he is still a very useful player for us. Sure Mason has sneaked in front of him, but any injury to him (or Tait, meaning Mason goes to LB) then who will fill that gap? Connolly and McAllister are our only other options and seeing as one is already in the starting lineup and the other can't seem to manage 90 minutes it's leaving us short when we don't need to be. What's more Durmus is very likely to be at least a moderate success wherever he goes so the idea of shifting him to Killie (if they'd want him) seems counter productive.

Foley I wouldn't like to see moved on either. He is still our captain, and still offers the team something whether that is in midfield or defence. Sure it's a bit of a luxury to have both him and Flynn not getting games but these two guys while maybe not first team picks at present will be needed for the run in and the inevitable injuries and suspensions we pick up (esp Erhahon if only because he seems to be guaranteed a booking each game).

I know us St Mirren fans are used to very lean squads, but we're also used to struggling to retain our league position. It's no coincidence (imo, anyway) that we have some depth to the squad and we are currently mid table (granted only by a few points but it's still the case).

Come Summer you can look at where Durmus, Foley and the rest sit, but as it is and if they are still willing to contribute (and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise) then they are still an asset.

Edited by Ric

Can't see us offloading Ilkay. He is by far the best left winger we have. Mason can do a good defensive job on the left but isn't great playing as a winger - passes inside too often for a start instead of taking on the full back on the outside. McGrath would be a total waste playing out left. The guy is at his best picking the ball up in the middle and charging forward. There is no adequate replacement for Ilkay and we have looked better balanced when he returned to the team after his health issues.

2 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

Surely we wont let Foley go anywhere this month, he would definitely strengthen any of our rivals. Is the reason he's struggled a bit earlier in the season because he rushed back from a hernia op? 

Hughes has gone off and bought a bunch of midfielders (heh, Hughes, bunch of random midfielders? Surely not..) so I feel Foley was just one of many he would have happily brought to the club.

I think Foley's problem is that the 3 we use just now, JDH, Erhahon and McGrath doesn't really give him much option to get back into the team, even more so as MacPherson is probably ahead of him in the list too. That said, while he might not be the player he was last season I cannot see any benefit in shipping him out now especially as you say he'd possibly strengthen our rivals if he went there.

So here's the thing, with all this chat of swap/loan deals I really don't think we should be looking to offload anyone other than Erwin and seeing as he's still got 18 months to run I can't see that being overly useful to us.
I'm not in favour of Durmus leaving in this window because he is still a very useful player for us. Sure Mason has sneaked in front of him, but any injury to him (or Tait, meaning Mason goes to LB) then who will fill that gap? Connolly and McAllister are our only other options and seeing as one is already in the starting lineup and the other can't seem to manage 90 minutes it's leaving us short when we don't need to be. What's more Durmus is very likely to be at least a moderate success wherever he goes so the idea of shifting him to Killie (if they'd want him) seems counter productive.
Foley I wouldn't like to see moved on either. He is still our captain, and still offers the team something whether that is in midfield or defence. Sure it's a bit of a luxury to have both him and Flynn not getting games but these two guys while maybe not first team picks at present will be needed for the run in and the inevitable injuries and suspensions we pick up (esp Erhahon if only because he seems to be guaranteed a booking each game).
I know us St Mirren fans are used to very lean squads, but we're also used to struggling to retain our league position. It's no coincidence (imo, anyway) that we have some depth to the squad and we are currently mid table (granted only by a few points but it's still the case).
Come Summer you can look at where Durmus, Foley and the rest sit, but as it is and if they are still willing to contribute (and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise) then they are still an asset.

Surely the point is that if you want to get Brophy this month then you're going to have to stump up a bit of money or alternatively send a player our way. Obviously if it's the latter we're not going to accept a chump like Ryan Flynn or Kristian Dennis, so it needs to be someone with a decent enough pedigree. At that point you're looking at guys in a similar position to where Brophy is with us, a player who has been highly rated at one point but is struggling to get a game.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Surely the point is that if you want to get Brophy this month then you're going to have to stump up a bit of money or alternatively send a player our way. Obviously if it's the latter we're not going to accept a chump like Ryan Flynn or Kristian Dennis, so it needs to be someone with a decent enough pedigree. At that point you're looking at guys in a similar position to where Brophy is with us, a player who has been highly rated at one point but is struggling to get a game.

You'll take what you're given or you are stuck a man down in the squad, it's as simple as that. Dyer has painted himself into a corner on this one.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

You'll take what you're given or you are stuck a man down in the squad, it's as simple as that. Dyer has painted himself into a corner on this one.

Killie will get about £10-20k. The Killie fans will claim it's £500k. I expect now we've got Quaner in till the end of the season we will be far happier to wait till the summer if we need to.

Edited by GAD

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Killie will get about £10-20k. The Killie fans will claim it's £500k. I expect now we've got Quaner in till the end of the season we will be far happier to wait till the summer if we need to.

We don't need Brophy at present and Killie need to get him off their books.

If Dyer was clever he would have put his arm round Brophy and man managed it. Instead he's shot himself in the foot. Don't get me wrong, I like Dyer, but a more experienced manager would have played this differently.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I mean all of this is on the basis that we'll bring no-one else in.

I can legitimately see us going for another defender and another midfielder, even if on loan and that may require one or two guys that Goodwin knows will be going in the summer, making way a bit early.

I'm actually pretty surprised that Sheron is still on the wage bill and is only surely because Fleetwood got shot of Barton recently.