The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

A bargain at £10k a week. I believe all other managers of Premiership sides will be in the press next week to complain more about the financial power of St Mirren Football Club.

£6k a week I heard.
Will we split it at the middle and call it 8k a week?

The final third of the pitch has been our weakness, Jim has went out to rectify this. Hopefully this pays off.

Amazing to see business done like this, especially with other clubs sitting with their hands tied.

That looks like a Obika replacement from an outsider looking in?

Good signings by St Mirren, type of guy we could have used that's for sure. Bit of an unknown to how he actually will stack up, but has the history to suggest he'll manage fine. Again Brophy is another solid signing, knows the league and will score goals, albeit I can't say personally I'm too bothered about him signing for St Mirren as he's never really impressed against us. 

10 minutes ago, Widge said:

That looks like a Obika replacement from an outsider looking in?

Good signings by St Mirren, type of guy we could have used that's for sure. Bit of an unknown to how he actually will stack up, but has the history to suggest he'll manage fine. Again Brophy is another solid signing, knows the league and will score goals, albeit I can't say personally I'm too bothered about him signing for St Mirren as he's never really impressed against us. 

Not sure.

I'm a bit wary of the fact that he's an EU based player and although we can get away with not having to worry about a work permit in this window, a 6 month deal means he's surely not a possibility to extend in the Summer.

It would be a bit strange to offload Obika to Killie for Brophy in return, only for his replacement to only be given a 6 month deal. Had he been on 18 months or more, I'd have been inclined to agree that Jon was likely the man on his way.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure.

I'm a bit wary of the fact that he's an EU based player and although we can get away with not having to worry about a work permit in this window, a 6 month deal means he's surely not a possibility to extend in the Summer.

It would be a bit strange to offload Obika to Killie for Brophy in return, only for his replacement to only be given a 6 month deal. Had he been on 18 months or more, I'd have been inclined to agree that Jon was likely the man on his way.

I have absolutely no idea how the EU rules work now (qualifying me perfectly to discuss the matter on Sportsound) but is there a possible loophole given his last signed club was in England, even though he's been training in Germany for the last few months?

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure.

The guy has been in the UK for a while. Not sure how it works, but I suppose he may have settled status, so might not need a work permit. I suspect the six month deal is his idea rather than ours. 

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have absolutely no idea how the EU rules work now (qualifying me perfectly to discuss the matter on Sportsound) but is there a possible loophole given his last signed club was in England, even though he's been training in Germany for the last few months?

Me neither but I'd read in a few places that it had essentially cut off European footballers as a potential market for all but the biggest clubs in the UK after this window closes.

Any contract extensions would also need to be subject to a work permit and the money that has to be offered to guarantee a WP would be way over what we can afford unless you choose to believe RandomGuy. :lol: 

I read in the Guardian the other week the likes of Pukki & various other quality players in the Championship wouldn’t get a work permit with the rules. It’s nigh on guaranteed if you are an international player in the top ranked FIFA nations or participate in a Champions League game. A market you would assume we would struggle to compete in.
We’ll just have to take advantage of the loopholes while we can. It read to me like it would rule out any chance of Durmus getting an extension although I’m not sure if being a resident already would change that.
I presume this international clearance will take longer to come through for Quaner and he will have to have some sort of isolation period if he’s been training in Germany with Schalke most recently.

If nothing else, we'll be able to afford his wages with all the new supporters we've gained from Yorkshire.
Think Huddersfield are running a few buses when everything reopens. [emoji38] 
Yeah they seem quite fond of him [emoji1787]

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Me neither but I'd read in a few places that it had essentially cut off European footballers as a potential market for all but the biggest clubs in the UK after this window closes.

Any contract extensions would also need to be subject to a work permit and the money that has to be offered to guarantee a WP would be way over what we can afford unless you choose to believe RandomGuy. :lol: 

I might be wrong here but surely any player already employed in the U.K. should be fine, so Durmus should be able to get a work permit, as well as any player currently playing for any other U.K. club.

Some random German with a name that sounds vaguely like a pun on something, has FlareyBob been informed?

All in all he sounds an interesting addition. Makes you wonder where this leaves Erwin and I'd assume that puts the kybosch on any idea of Brophy coming to us in Jan (which, actually might work slightly in our favour)

Edited by Ric

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I believe you're paying as large a wage for him as anyone will be spending in the window, in Scotland.

Almost no club is increasing their wage spend for next season due to Covid, apart from St Mirren.

Anybody needing a hole dug in their back garden?:lol:

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

By the way, worth pointing out that Brophy will be eligible to play in the League Cup semi (and final?) - for this season only players who played in the group stage for one club can still play in the knockouts for another club.

Good to know: sadly we're playing the world's 22nd most in-form team in the semi. 

Spoiler

image.png.2ebf565bf4fb332416fd30ede586ef13.png

CC: @ATLIS, @LIVIFOREVER - having done the research, might as well show it to some relevant people.

Edited by Coventry Saint

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

By the way, worth pointing out that Brophy will be eligible to play in the League Cup semi (and final?) - for this season only players who played in the group stage for one club can still play in the knockouts for another club.

Quite surprised if true but it would make sense if this is one of the reasons behind Goodwin pushing to get Brophy in right away.