The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair I'm pretty sure Broadfoot was that desperate to leave he stumped up a few grand of his money to buy out his own contract emoji23.png and then proceeded to gloat about that on Killie tv as if they should have forgiven him for trash talking the previous manager down in the papers.

Yeah, but we still let him. We could have forced him to play or let him rot in the reserves just to make a point.

7 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

According to Daily Record headline John Hughes is trying to get Foley. Page won’t open to post link.

Yeah, was going to post that. Guessing the quotes aren't meant to be out until tomorrow/Saturday and someone accidentally published the article but they've now taken it offline.

Foley hasn't played since the end of November (hadn't realised it was that long) so no surprise if he wants a move for first team football, especially at his age. Would be surprised if we let him go to County but they could just do what we've done with Brophy - announce him on a PCA and try to push it through this month.

Goodwin saying Brophy was out the picture at Killie as "Alex Dyer likes to play a 6ft 3in target man". Wonder if he has one in mind for him...

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

According to Daily Record headline John Hughes is trying to get Foley. Page won’t open to post link.

Sam has been excellent and never let us down however his performances this season have been way down on those of last season.

I know that's mainly due to him being affected by injury but, as always, if his departure allows us to bring in a replacement then so be it.

I honestly never thought it'd get to this January and I'd feel ambivalent about Foley leaving, but the fact is he simply hasn't been as influential and I don't think he can put his mark on a game in the way our style of play requires.

I posted a few pages back that I could see us going for another CM. I guess if Foley leaves it leaves us possibly needing CH cover as well.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I honestly never thought it'd get to this January and I'd feel ambivalent about Foley leaving, but the fact is he simply hasn't been as influential and I don't think he can put his mark on a game in the way our style of play requires.

I posted a few pages back that I could see us going for another CM. I guess if Foley leaves it leaves us possibly needing CH cover as well.

Indeed.

There's no way that we could cope with Foley leaving, without replacements coming in.

I'm sure Foley's family still live in England. Would he want to move up to North to live amongst the Highland savages (c) The Captain? 

Foley is exactly the sort of player I can imagine Hughes going for. Solid, dependable, experienced, can play both mid and def who had fallen out of a team and is looking to get game time. I can't see us playing hard ball with County, although I sort of feel we should as I think he'd be an asset to them. Remember Foley is the club captain. If he goes, who do you reckon would take over that role. Shaughnessy? He's been wearing the armband on the field.

Edit: if Foley goes, that'll be use "losing" two captains within a 6 month period. Surely a record for us.

Edited by Ric

30 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

What’s the process for a player moving club in terms of changing Covid bubbles? Would Brophy (or anyone else) have to isolate for a period of time first?

Assuming some sort of parity with England, this is what UTD said about their new signing...........Diallo will fly to England once it is approved and will not have to quarantine as he was part of Atalanta's 'bubble'.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

There are no bubbles. The players live at home and are allowed to go out as normal, that wouldn't change just because they've moved clubs

Understood. I would’ve just imagined it would’ve been an issue for Brophy to be sitting in his group of 6/8 in our changing room today and then potentially tomorrow sitting in another teams changing room with a different 6 guys.

Interesting that Alex Dyer is saying Kilmarnock 'can't compete budget wise' with St. Mirren.
We have the 3rd or 4th smallest budget in the league.

I'm always puzzled as to how folk can make comments like this. Nobody knows exactly what the player wage budgets are at every Premiership club.

I suspect ours is higher than St Mirren's as a whole, but Saints were willing to pay Brophy a lot more than we were. I do have a feeling a move to St Mirren wasn't quite what he had in mind when he turned down our offer last year though.