The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, jm1 said:
46 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:
Apparently you're looking to bring Brandon Mason on loan from Coventry City to play at LB.

Is he pish?

Idk, I just mentioned what I saw on the transfer deadline update page. Apparently played a couple games on loan for United, so best chance is asking them.

Edit: Oh, his one league appearance for United was in the 6-1 loss to Falkirk. Ha ha, hahaha.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Have to say I'm not sure Finlayson is Premiership level yet. Not sure how he got on at Orange County, but Lewis Mayo was thought to be a better prospect and he's playing in the Championship this season.

That's not to say he won't work out for St Mirren, but it's a bit of a weird one.

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Have to say I'm not sure Finlayson is Premiership level yet. Not sure how he got on at Orange County, but Lewis Mayo was thought to be a better prospect and he's playing in the Championship this season.

That's not to say he won't work out for St Mirren, but it's a bit of a weird one.

He'll primarily be cover for McCarthy and Shaughnessy.

Although given our luck with injuries and our apparent propensity for red cards this season, he might get his debut sooner than expected.

22 minutes ago, G51 said:

Presumably why there's an option to buy him built into the deal. If he was really rated at Ibrox, they'd just be loaning him to us.

As you say, that's not to say he's not good enough for us, and we desperately need cover.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Presumably why there's an option to buy him built into the deal. If he was really rated at Ibrox, they'd just be loaning him to us.

As you say, that's not to say he's not good enough for us, and we desperately need cover.

Aye. Been plenty of young players that have come through the Rangers Academy without really being rated and gone on to have good Premiership careers - Craig Halkett being the most recent one.

Wait, is this the statement everybody's ranting about?

KYLE MAGENNIS LEAVES TO JOIN HIBERNIAN

SMFC Webteam Saints News 05 October 2020

St Mirren Football Club firmly believes in carrying out business in the correct manner and keeping fans accurately informed, as such the club can confirm that it has today reluctantly agreed a deal with Hibernian Football Club for the transfer of Kyle Magennis.

The club had been working for over a year on a new deal for Kyle and offered him a new four-year deal on improved terms, however, it became increasingly clear that Kyle saw his future away from St Mirren.

After the initial approaches from Hibernian were rejected, Kyle made it clear to the club his desire to move. With this in mind the club made the difficult decision to accept an improved offer and allow Kyle to make the move.

The club shares the disappointment that the fans and all connected with St Mirren will be feeling with this news.

The club would like to place on record its thanks to Kyle for all the contributions he made in his time at St Mirren and wish him the very best for his future.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with that, and I cannot see why it wouldn't be true. As others have said, what player wouldn't reject a new contract when they have the opportunity to play for a bigger, more successful club at the other end of the table, and almost certainly for more money?

It's clear that the club are annoyed with Magennis. Maybe not the best statement but I get it: we've looked after him through his injury, the club are in poor form and much has been made of his return.

He could have stayed for 9 months to help the club who have got him to where he is. Kyle decided "nah, I'd like to go now please." His prerogative but there's quite a strong whiff of shitebag. I'm with the club on this.