The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

If our club captain and top prospect (in the eyes of some) wanted a a 4 year deal the club would’ve thrown it at him immediately. 
Magennis tied down for 4 years would be fantastic business from a boardroom point of view. His value due to contract length would increase double maybe more. Why wouldn’t the board agree to that? 
Kyle was never signing a new deal. Simple as that. 

I’m not going to pretend I know the ins and outs, again playing devils advocate here, the last “long term”‘contract we handed out was Kyle mcallister (which I’m sure 99% of saints fans were delighted with that the time - me included) . However, I’m sure he would have been away in the summer if we could have, instead we are stuck with him for another 2 seasons as it’s unlikely he’ll ever be fit enough again to compliment his ability.

Personally I would have given given Magennis a 4 year contract, but maybe he was wanting a high wage / no relegation clause etc we don’t know. Maybe the club have doubts over his fitness? He was in a position of power to negotiate so who knows what he was asking for within that 4 year deal.

I think he's requested a four year deal knowing fine well he's not getting it. Or... He knows more about his injuries than he's letting on. 

Look, I wish him well. Hibs are a big club and he's played with half their first team before. He's hardly leaving as a legend: his contributions have been too sporadic. I actually thought making him captain was an odd move. We don't even need to replace him. Let's take the cash and move on.

It's shit but none of us know the details to start throwing blame about. The only thing we do know is that Jim is unhappy with the BOD. However maybe the BOD had little choice in the matter. We just do not know.

What we do know is that Ethan and Cammy were excellent last light so we have another two Academy midfielders who are showing great attributes. And jay Henderson is getting good reviews on loan to Clyde. Get them on long term deals.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think he's requested a four year deal knowing fine well he's not getting it. Or... He knows more about his injuries than he's letting on. 

Look, I wish him well. Hibs are a big club and he's played with half their first team before. He's hardly leaving as a legend: his contributions have been too sporadic. I actually thought making him captain was an odd move. We don't even need to replace him. Let's take the cash and move on.

This is spot on . 

I can’t think of one game where I’ve left and thought  Kyle Magennis was a stand out in it. He’s been good , but he’s never influenced a game in the way that John McGinn , Stevie Mallan or Lewis Morgan did . 

His first season in the team was probably his best . Good player but certainly not irreplaceable. 

1 hour ago, Saint Shug said:

This is spot on . 

I can’t think of one game where I’ve left and thought  Kyle Magennis was a stand out in it. He’s been good , but he’s never influenced a game in the way that John McGinn , Stevie Mallan or Lewis Morgan did . 

His first season in the team was probably his best . Good player but certainly not irreplaceable. 

I was going to say - the boy Magennis is half decent but I’m not sure if he is worth the head trauma he seems to be generating amongst your support. 

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Found any reports yet?

20201003_142140.thumb.jpg.cece3985d6422744ecb1a005e559490c.jpg

Best one is from a Sky journalist, who is now reporting its just £170k.

Better hope you've got a decent sell on clause. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

20201003_142140.thumb.jpg.cece3985d6422744ecb1a005e559490c.jpg

Best one is from a Sky journalist, who is now reporting its just £170k.

Better hope you've got a decent sell on clause. 

He reported the Crewe player one, not the Magennis one.

15 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

What do people realistically think Magennis is worth with less than a year to go on his contract?

Apparently we would be due a development fee of £200K.

So £200 - 250K plus significant sell on clauses is probably what he's worth, given that Hibs appear to be the only club interested in him.

Just now, Stan Bo said:

Graeme MacPherson has said the £100k figure is nonsense and it’s closer to £250k plus a sell on

Just now, FTOF said:

Apparently we would be due a development fee of £200K.

So £200 - 250K plus significant sell on clauses is probably what he's worth, given that Hibs appear to be the only club interested in him.

:rolleyes:

We're not impervious to the economics of Covid. This fee could help keep the club ticking over until a vaccination is available (they're now saying the Oxford vaccine should get approval before January, with a roll-out in March ish.) I honestly can't see fans getting back in the grounds before then.

As mentioned above, £250k ish for an injury prone player is great business. I personally don't think the sell-on will come to anything - this isn't John McGinn - but it's worth adding on anyway just in case, I guess.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you able to read?

Yup. The quote from Downie’s Twitter relates to the Crewe deal. In a separate paragraph it mentions Magennis. Downie doesn’t mention anything about Magennis on his Twitter page. 

It’s a bit like saying:

According to Sky journo, hibs have bid £200k for a Crewe midfielder. 
Random Guy is a Willy Warmer.

It’s in the same story, doesn’t relate to what Downie said. Or does it?