The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

49 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Would like to see us have an attack minded coach on the staff, don’t think we have that at the moment at any level.  

I would bring in Billy Dodds, he might be a wee fud but he made a massive difference to McIntyre at County. 

Edited by Torfason

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

It doesn't help when you've an absolute balloon of a man above him going on about being a top 4 club and getting into Europe. 

These things take time and a lot more money than is being given out. 

Only Celtic, The Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs will have a significantly bigger wage budget than us this season.

We are massively underperforming both on and off the pitch.

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

My frustration is that we are set up to sit in and absorb pressure. To frustrate the opposition and then hope to snatch a goal. Like a part time side in a full time league..........like Alloa. 
The  real worry is that Jim doesn’t know any other way to set up a team and in the top league sides are simply too strong to make that an option.

Flaw in this argument is that he didn't set up like that at Alloa. He inherited the team Jack Ross built that was a terrific attacking side. There was no significant change in style in League 1. On promotion to the Championship where we were the only part-time side Jim was frequently quoted as saying that he wouldn't abandon his principles and that Alloa would keep passing the ball and trying to attack. And despite the error of agreeing to reduce the park dimensions, we did keep attacking home and away regardless of the opposition. 

Jim was a long way from the finished article at Alloa. Inheriting that Ross squad was massive for him, some absolutely terrific part-time players and brilliant pros. That nucleus is still hugely influential at Alloa. I wondered a bit about St Mirren given his recruitment at Alloa was mixed and his success in the end was largely built upon recognising that he had a great foundation and adding the best young loans he could get around them. Going to St Mirren where he wasn't inheriting a great squad, and still learning as a manager, was always going to be a test. What he always has in his favour is that players like and respect him and that it seems that he learns from mistakes. Those are good core attributes. 

3 hours ago, greenock saint said:

Would like to see us have an attack minded coach on the staff, don’t think we have that at the moment at any level.  

St Johnstone fans have spent about a decade saying this, yet when we finally do it with Steven MacLean, we end up scoring less 😂

Was obvious early on we were in trouble yesterday. For the first five minute the only time we seemed to touch the ball was to get it clear, rather than make a pass of our own choosing. Guys like McGrath, Morias and Durmus get criticism but in fairness to them how often did they get the ball in a position where they could do something creative with it yesterday? Far too often we knock it about at the back and take the easy option - then hoof it to Erwin and hope to win the knockdown. 

It was a shite game of football and obvious with 20 minutes left Killie were going to win as we were putting them under feck all pressure. Alnwick winning man of the match was amusing as he had about three shots to deal with all day, one of which was the goal (not that I'm blaming him).

We are dreadful at defending crosses and at the moment we're not much better at taking them - maybe we can't defend them because we can't produce a decent one in training. We failed to clear the first man with corners then went to the other extreme and started beating everyone.

The good start to the season seems a long time ago now. Beginning to wonder if that was just because we were playing poorer teams rather than anything special we were doing.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Only Celtic, The Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs will have a significantly bigger wage budget than us this season.

Are you? Like Dundee you're a yoyo club. Are you spending a fortune or were you always destined to be scrambling at the bottom? 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Where do you get this info from?

surely Ross County, Motherwell and Killie will have larger budgets?

Absolutely fucking mental. Genuinely bewildering. 

Tell me why? At 5 ft 7 he made a very good career (547 appearances with 192 goals) out of good movement as a striker without pace or physique. I get Dundee fans don’t like him but as a strikers coach, who else could St Mirren get who has a background in coaching with a successful playing career at a level higher than ours and is available? 
He might be a fud but I’m not going for a pint with him, I just want him to teach some very average strikers how to put the ball in the net occasionally.

Are you? Like Dundee you're a yoyo club. Are you spending a fortune or were you always destined to be scrambling at the bottom? 

Correct. As I wrote in the thread about established Premiership clubs, we're in a group of clubs that will usually struggle to sustain Premiership football and will yoyo between the two top divisions. To be fair, Motherwell and Killie have somehow managed to establish themselves with similar resources, but I always think we will be struggling in the top flight.

15 minutes ago, flood said:

According to the details published last season, in the Scotsman IIRC, only one or possibly two clubs were spending less money than us -  certainly Hamilton were. So I have no idea why we would suddenly be presumed to be big spenders.

1 hour ago, flood said:

In Bowie's interview with Spiers in The Times last weekend, he said they had reviewed and cut this seasons buget in March as lockdown hit...... by how much, he didn't say.

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

It doesn't help when you've an absolute balloon of a man above him going on about being a top 4 club and getting into Europe. 

These things take time and a lot more money than is being given out. 

Can understand punters outside the club saying he is a balloon.  Saints fans know to well the hot air blown by Tony Fitzpatrick none of us take his comments seriously.  

16 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

In Bowie's interview with Spiers in The Times last weekend, he said they had reviewed and cut this seasons buget in March as lockdown hit...... by how much, he didn't say.

We also went public in May saying that our budget was to be significantly reduced. Indeed that was part of how Tait ended up at St Mirren as there was the whole revised contract affair (which Robinson actually hinted at below).

"Boys we have offered contracts to we are still hoping to fulfil them. It may be at a lower rate of pay," he said.

"I haven't got the budget yet as all this only happened yesterday. But it's going to make an impact, make no mistake. Every club in the country will be exactly the same, not just us.

"We are in a decent position in terms of where we finished and European football, but there will be a big impact on budget and the club, staff and Scottish football as a whole.

"We have boys contracted. We will try to fulfil the contracts to the younger boys we have offered contracts to, as that is who the club is going to be built around.

"This will become clearer this week when Jim [McMahon, chairman], Alan [Burrows, chief executive] and the board sit down on Zoom and thrash out what we are able to give. There will be a worst-case scenario which is right now when we don't know when crowds are coming in, the next when it starts opening up a little bit and possibly back to normally."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

Correct. As I wrote in the thread about established Premiership clubs, we're in a group of clubs that will usually struggle to sustain Premiership football and will yoyo between the two top divisions. To be fair, Motherwell and Killie have somehow managed to establish themselves with similar resources, but I always think we will be struggling in the top flight.

According to the details published last season, in the Scotsman IIRC, only one or possibly two clubs were spending less money than us -  certainly Hamilton were. So I have no idea why we would suddenly be presumed to be big spenders.

Hamilton and Livie pay less than Saints it's not by much though. 

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Tell me why? At 5 ft 7 he made a very good career (547 appearances with 192 goals) out of good movement as a striker without pace or physique. I get Dundee fans don’t like him but as a strikers coach, who else could St Mirren get who has a background in coaching with a successful playing career at a level higher than ours and is available? 
He might be a fud but I’m not going for a pint with him, I just want him to teach some very average strikers how to put the ball in the net occasionally.

Theres a reason he's working part time in secondary schools.