The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So we have Aberdeen away, then Motherwell and Hamilton both at home in the next 3 league games. Partick and Queens in the league cup in the middle which is a bit of a unnecessary distraction for us just now.

Might as well cut to the question. Does the manager have 3 games to save his job? For me it's a tad too early to talk of the sack, we are all hoping for major improvement though. I think 4-5 points in the league games would be acceptable along with improved performances. Less than 3 points and a bad result in the league cup and a lot of fans will turn.

Worst team in the league  ?  So far I would say so our first two wins we were pressured deep for long parts in the game that had my alarm bells ringing.  I have stopped watching away games now. That time is now spent going out long walks with the wife I have found more enjoyable.  Walk then beer garden. Love Goodwin want him to succeed  but for ffs what's going on ? . Please tell me it's not another manager.  St Mirren grrrrrrt ! 

The results are merely part of the problem albeit a big one. 

I can honestly say that for the second half yesterday, I noticed myself doing something that I've been doing a lot more when watching these games on the telly. I switched off. 

Not physically, as the game remained on til the end but I found myself browsing my phone, drifting away onto another subject whilst the hopeless commentator mumbled a lot of stupid platitudes in the background and I realised, I wasn't fucking interested. 

Anyone who knows me from off of here, understands and knows that when I'm at a match, I'm usually one of those folk that the commentator is apologising on behalf of for the language. I attack every ball mentally, I live on the edge of my seat for the full 90 mins... always has been the case... even way back in mid 90s as a ball boy when I got 'booked' post match in the tunnel for calling the ref a 'fucking joke' under my breath as we trudged past him following a controversial loss. 😂

Point being, at the end, if we win, it's a boost mentally but if we lose, when I leave I make sure I never let it affect me personally or my mood outwith the immediate hour or two in the aftermath of the result.

But as I sat yesterday, I realised, we're so mind numbing that I had my face in my phone for the full second half, I didn't care to mentally will the team forward or even get frustrated at them for misplaced passes etc, as the team, frankly are fucking boring.

Not just shite. We've seen shite in the past, more times than I care to remember, but absoultely devoid of any ability in the opposition half, a basic competence of getting the ball into area where we potentially might score. When we do get into the final third, we seem to have stumbled into it rather than carved out a chance. My main criticism of Goodwin teams is that there is no attacking intent or finesse, it's a horribly panicked mantra of  'get the ball forward 50 times, one or two of those are bound to have a lucky bounce and let us in for a shot' and it's absolutely painful to watch. 

I'm not in the Goodwin out camp. Not yet anyway, but he's about 3 or 4 weeks away from being untenable. Even if the results do turn, the football served will still be the gash were subject to. I don't mind a team hunkering in and grinding out a result when the pressure is on but we should not be performing that way against teams around us. It's an eyesore and a total turnoff. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Have to agree with you DJ.

the thing that strikes me is that we don’t have a ‘style’. We can’t sit here and say we’re a team that plays quickly on the break, or we are direct, the full backs overlap, etc. There’s absolutely nothing other than we drop so fucking deep when the opposition has the ball. Our one thing is that we defend, but we don’t even do that well enough given the goals we are conceding.

Yesterday was embarrassing given we had circa 65 minutes to get back into the game and offered nothing other than a fresh air swipe by Junior in injury time. It’s worrying times, especially given we are at Aberdeen next weekend and we are usually hopeless up there. 

I’m not shouting for the managers head and I doubt the club we seriously consider anything until we reach November. We have three League games in October along with two league cup games, and we need a minimum of three wins and a draw from those five games to ease some of the pressure otherwise there will be questions.

If we don't have the players to mix it with the likes of the Dundee Utd., or Killie then the likelihood is a dogfight with Accies for 11th spot, we'd better toughen up cos Accies tenure in the top flight has been characterised by pulling out big results when least expected -  35 points seems a long way away.

When I saw the fixtures, I thought the cup games would be a welcome break: a chance to play a settled team in a couple of free-hit games. Maybe a chance for Flynn/Magennis to get some minutes on the park.

But now think we're so shite I'm worried about failing to lay a glove on League One's Patrick Thistle.

We still have enough decent players to make a game of it but playing deep in a 4-5-1 at home is not making a game of it. We no longer pass forward just to the side and back. Anything forward is a long hoof when we are already a goal down. And when a raft of players cannot deliver a ball into the opposition box from a set play then we have no chance of scoring.

Goody has to stop fielding players who have proved they are not good enough and try playing a passing game in a more attacking formation. And right now we need a leader on the park as we do not have one in Foley.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Goody has to stop fielding players who have proved they are not good enough and try playing a passing game in a more attacking formation. 

You're right about the way we're set up. As much as the commentary team was awful, there were some interesting elements to what Tait was saying. He was talking about being happy to let Killie have possession: there was one moment when they kept it for a bit and then blootered a shit long ball forwards that ran for a goal kick. He implied that justified the 'no possession' approach.

Then there was a Killie free kick on the edge of the box, and the awful commentator kept talking about the fact we'd left Durmus forward to hit them on the break. As if we've seen that happen even once this season.

Killie weren't amazing, but they were a damn sight better than us when it came to attacking in numbers and moving it around in the final third.

I hate to say it, as I think there's talent there, but McGrath isn't working at the minute either. Though perhaps it's because he's got absolutely no options around him when he does get the ball.

The one thing that really surprises me is the lack of tenacity and fight this team seems to have, given who we have in charge. As a player, Goodwin could grab games by the scruff of the neck and get the team going, even if we were a bit up against it. We've had two red cards this season but not because we're nasty b*****ds, those have been down to poorly timed challenges/frustration.

I don't know what Goodwin is like behind the scenes, but he comes across as too nice in public. In every interview he previews "another difficult match" or words to that effect. It is always about trying to get a "positive result" rather than winning. He gives other teams too much respect and I think that comes across in how we play too.

I don't think our squad, on paper, is that bad. We have some talented and experienced players in there, and not the Gus Macpherson journeyman kind - these are mainly guys who are either at the peak of their careers or on the way up (or at least should be). But for whatever reason they are underperforming, even when compared to last season.

Goodwin clearly talks a good game - every signing we've made this season has spoken of how he convinced them to make the move - and he seems to be well-liked. But he needs to start walking the walk, and showing he has the credentials to do this job. For me it is balancing on a knife edge at the moment and the next few weeks are huge for him, and us.

As a final point, I should also say that the players are not totally blameless here, but when we're constantly changing the line-up and system, and playing guys out of position, it isn't surprising to see them struggling.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

You're right about the way we're set up. As much as the commentary team was awful, there were some interesting elements to what Tait was saying. He was talking about being happy to let Killie have possession: there was one moment when they kept it for a bit and then blootered a shit long ball forwards that ran for a goal kick. He implied that justified the 'no possession' approach.

Then there was a Killie free kick on the edge of the box, and the awful commentator kept talking about the fact we'd left Durmus forward to hit them on the break. As if we've seen that happen even once this season.

Killie weren't amazing, but they were a damn sight better than us when it came to attacking in numbers and moving it around in the final third.

I hate to say it, as I think there's talent there, but McGrath isn't working at the minute either. Though perhaps it's because he's got absolutely no options around him when he does get the ball.

I think there’s a player in McGrath, but we never play on the front foot to benefit him. He’s the one that does try to find the right pass.

My frustration is that we are set up to sit in and absorb pressure. To frustrate the opposition and then hope to snatch a goal. Like a part time side in a full time league..........like Alloa. 
The  real worry is that Jim doesn’t know any other way to set up a team and in the top league sides are simply too strong to make that an option.

I want to play more attacking football, run at defences, shoot from outside the box and generally be more aggressive. I'd rather play like that and see us relegated, than constantly try to grind out results whilst consumed in a relegation battle. I expect I'm in a minority, however.

17 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I want to play more attacking football, run at defences, shoot from outside the box and generally be more aggressive. I'd rather play like that and see us relegated, than constantly try to grind out results whilst consumed in a relegation battle. I expect I'm in a minority, however.

Same.  I'd rather go down slugging and scrapping for every point, every 50/50, every single ball.  I thought we started the season with a bit of passion and heart.  As that's left us, so have the points. It's the lack of passion and heart that's frustrating as I think we have a really strong first 11.  

As I've said before, playing well against Celtic is all well and good, but we've shown nowhere close to the intensity or dig against the traditional bottom 6 teams.  

Losing is shite, but losing meekly is even shitter.  

Need to get the stench of despair off of us, that'll only happen by picking up some points.

Really rate Goodwin, but I'd hope for some consistency in setting up and him to rewatch the interview when he said he regretted setting to too defensively last season.  

7 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Really rate Goodwin, but I'd hope for some consistency in setting up and him to rewatch the interview when he said he regretted setting to too defensively last season.  

When we sit in with one up against a team that had only won one of their last 16 away before yesterday , you know he hasn't learned his lesson. 

Edited by billyg

4 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm not for sacking Goodwin never have been. We seem to be a club incapable of progressing in the top league no matter who the manager is. 

It doesn't help when you've an absolute balloon of a man above him going on about being a top 4 club and getting into Europe. 

These things take time and a lot more money than is being given out.