The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Had it been 3 outfield players we'd have coped. Keepers are different though. Would a Celtic v Rangers game have gone ahead if either had lost 3 keepers the day before a game? I think we all know the answer to that. 

Well, the precedent is now set. 

There should be absolutely no reason for the cancellation of any games going forward unless the full squad is waylayed.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

We are the first club to suffer from this kind of farce but we certainly won’t be the last.

Least Aberdeen and Celtic got to postpone their game when their players broke the rules.

One rule for them etc.

Its absolutely bizarre they punish St Mirren to play without a goalkeeper, despite no rules being broken, yet Aberdeen get allowed to avoid playing while 8 players down.

The authorities have somehow made the punishment worse for abiding by the rules.

Absolute clusterfuck. You'll now have OF teams who face a game without key players due to infection actively getting players to break quarantine rules so the games postponed, as all that happens is they'll get 14 days to prepare.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its absolutely bizarre they punish St Mirren to play without a goalkeeper, despite no rules being broken, yet Aberdeen get allowed to avoid playing while 8 players down.

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_0bf759e4-f3f4-11e8-8c84-29b2667b0b46.jpg.0f2d2ade170a4e29483fe4596f7be5aa.jpg

We were quite prepared to play games 8 men down if I recall and would have had to if it were not for the covid cluster in Aberdeen at the time.

.. Aberdeen's game against Hamilton at Pittodrie tomorrow has also been called off after discussions this morning with Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing, Joe Fitzpatrick. The move comes as a result of ongoing coronavirus restrictions in Aberdeen 

9 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_0bf759e4-f3f4-11e8-8c84-29b2667b0b46.jpg.0f2d2ade170a4e29483fe4596f7be5aa.jpg

We were quite prepared to play games 8 men down if I recall and would have had to if it were not for the covid cluster in Aberdeen at the time.

I've not claimed Aberdeen have orchestrated a grand conspiracy m8, simply that the authorities have made it more appealing to break rules than not.

Guest 8GamesToGo
1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Had it been 3 outfield players we'd have coped. Keepers are different though. Would a Celtic v Rangers game have gone ahead if either had lost 3 keepers the day before a game? I think we all know the answer to that. 

Would the league have been called if Celtic were 4 pts behind Rangers with 8 to play? Yes, it's just so unfair isn't. Take your medicine. Boo hoo. Get doon. I think that's the correct response.

4 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Would the league have been called if Celtic were 4 pts behind Rangers with 8 to play? Yes, it's just so unfair isn't. Take your medicine. Boo hoo. Get doon. I think that's the correct response.

Looks like we are all taking it quite well so far. It’s only games against Hibs and Celtic which we’d have chucked anyway as you know and it sets a clear precedent for the rest of the season.

Stay safe - it’s a long season. For us anyway.

7 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Last time I saw a game where an emergency keeper came in at the last minute was against Clydebank in 99/2000, Shuggie scored by balancing the ball on his nose. 

From memory, Ian McCaldon and Gordon Marshall have both played on loan for us as emergencies.

15 minutes ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Stay doon.:lol:

15 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Last time I saw a game where an emergency keeper came in at the last minute was against Clydebank in 99/2000, Shuggie scored by balancing the ball on his nose. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Or Ben Plevey.:rolleyes:

Ahem.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The authorities have somehow made the punishment worse for abiding by the rules.

Absolute clusterfuck. You'll now have OF teams who face a game without key players due to infection actively getting players to break quarantine rules so the games postponed, as all that happens is they'll get 14 days to prepare.

I take it by “the authorities” you are referring to the Scottish Government. Aberdeen, St Johnstone, the SPFL and the JRG were all happy for the game to go ahead until the Government said it had to be called off.

29 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

We brought an emergency keeper in about 2004 for a trip to Dingwall. 

Scott Strang joined us on a one game deal from Renfrew Juniors and had a nightmare first and only senior appearance, we got skelped 4-0.