The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Doubt if the game will be called off unless a whole lot more players test positive.

I may be wrong but believe that fewer subs are now permitted on the bench for a game to go ahead. Only if we don't have a first 11 and something like 2 or 3 on the bench can we call off a game.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Club statement out saying 2nd Saints player confirmed with CV-19.  FUXSAKEMAN...!  

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3763-club-statement-7

Well at least they can't catch it twice. We should have all the players mingle, so they all get infected and get it over with IMHO.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I would think next two games will be off now.

They should be.

Couldn't we just claim that a number of our players have brazenly flouted social distancing rules, like Aberdeen and Celtic did, and have our game postponed? 

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There are genuinely Hearts fans on Twitter gloating that we have two players testing positive for this horrible disease. I despair at these people who are clearly the absolute dregs of society.

Hahaha! That's funny because to be that bitter they must have been apoplectic when Hearts got relegated. Hopefully the players are asymptomatic, too. 

5 hours ago, billyg said:

I thought you , of all people , would know who it was , maybe you've even seen him playing. Anyway , over 400 appearances in all competitions in England !

Sounds like a pretty senior player and not some junior lad.

Edited by Torfason

9 hours ago, elvis said:

I would think next two games will be off now.

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

They absolutely should be.

This season in danger of being a farce, though.

If two players get injured in training do you postpone games?

They'll be two batches of testing done on others (presumably testing after your GK got it has now caught another).

The season isn't long enough to be postponing games when a small number of players are put.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They'll be two batches of testing done on others (presumably testing after your GK got it has now caught another).

The season isn't long enough to be postponing games when a small number of players are put.

Agree with pretty much all of that. If we keep calling off games when one or two players test positive then we'll never get the season finished. If it's just a couple, and the rest of the squad hasn't been in close contact with them, then we just have to crack on. It would be interesting to know if there is a number that need to be positive before a game is called off - still amazed the Czechs had to play on Monday.

That being said, it's a bit unfair if we have to play Celtic without players who have tested positive given the only reason we're playing them on Wednesday is because one of their players was an irresponsible, selfish p***k and fucked off to Spain.

I thought the reason that games are likely to be called off when cases occur is that the squad is supposed to be a bubble. The players that have tested positive have been in close contact with the rest of the squad who are then going to be in contact with opponents if matches are played. It's not really similar to having a few injuries.

12 hours ago, billyg said:

I thought you , of all people , would know who it was , maybe you've even seen him playing. Anyway , over 400 appearances in all competitions in England !

Wild guess at Danny Fox? Ex-Coventry & out the picture at Wigan. He's more a full back than a wing back though IIRC. 

ETA: Junior Brown?

Edited by RossC93

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry, I do actually agree with that but it was late (for me) and I didn't type my post/thoughts out in full. I was kinda getting at the fact that some clubs had games postponed as 'punishment' when they were also missing players, but yes, I didn't actually write that. Kinda what @Stu has elaborated on.

But yeah, we can't keep postponing games.

24 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

ETA: Junior Brown?

That'd fit the clues I've heard. JB initials, five letters in surname...

Staggering, btw, how many players we seem to get who are in some way linked with Fleetwood. They're a team that has barely ever registered with me in the past but I feel like they get mentioned all the time now.

Also, three people at the club called Junior... is this a record?

Edited by Coventry Saint

I don't think the game should be cancelled either. I think, providing St Mirren and the players have followed the correct procedures, then this is something that's going to happen to most teams. It's a bit annoying we will be without players, especially the Celtic game which is only being played then because of the poor behaviour of a Celtic player, but that's life.

The main worry is the health of the players involved now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sounded from Goodwin's interview on the BBC that Alnwick might actually be sick, rather than asymptomatic. 

19 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The problem is if all squad members have been exposed, then Hibs players and officials are at risk of exposure too. I feel the game should be postponed until it is clear no others have picked it up

The extra testing will expose any further cases. I would imagine the last results from the lab will be delivered today. No more cases game goes ahead. Any more Infections game cancelled.  

The extra testing will expose any further cases. I would imagine the last results from the lab will be delivered today. No more cases game goes ahead. Any more Infections game cancelled.  

Yes you’re probably correct. I suspect that when English Leagues are up and running the chances are, unfortunately, major problems will surface throughout their leagues as well. 92 clubs plus the pyramid leagues, travelling all over England and Wales, an outbreak is all but inevitable