The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

My next point of anxiety is the fact that Obika's contract runs out next summer. But he seems settled, and clearly loves the support he's getting from fans, he loves his song, so maybe we can get an extension in nice and early this year.

That would be the biggest side-benefit of the promised land of mid-table obscurity: being able to plan properly for a subsequent season without shitting ourselves over which league we're actually going to be in.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

My next point of anxiety is the fact that Obika's contract runs out next summer. But he seems settled, and clearly loves the support he's getting from fans, he loves his song, so maybe we can get an extension in nice and early this year.

That would be the biggest side-benefit of the promised land of mid-table obscurity: being able to plan properly for a subsequent season without shitting ourselves over which league we're actually going to be in.

We need to tie him down and do so in the next couple of months. There's not going to be much chance of losing him to league 1 anymore given their wage restrictions but there are a few clubs up here who could pinch him off us and he'd do a brilliant job.

If he was 5-6 years younger, I'd be casting eyes at the money Livi are getting for Dykes and say there would be no reason for us not to hold out for the same with Obika. They have remarkably similar scoring records. Dykes has 14 in 36 games for Livi, Obika 13 in 37 games for us.

The fact that he's pushing 30 though means we're unlikely to see big money for him and in the absence of big money, I'd rather keep a guy as good as he is, who loves scoring goals in big matches for another 2 or 3 years.

Edited by djchapsticks

Slightly off piste but is the salary cap in leagues one and two come into effect immediately?

Are some execs and PFA not challenging it and therefore Might not come in for a season or two?

Regardless, there is no doubt this will massively help our recruitment in the long term!

24 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Slightly off piste but is the salary cap in leagues one and two come into effect immediately?

Are some execs and PFA not challenging it and therefore Might not come in for a season or two?

Regardless, there is no doubt this will massively help our recruitment in the long term!

Think clubs have a grace period (ie - length of players contracts) to get the salary down below the cap. 

However, the flip side of this is that they can't sign anyone to add to their squad as long as they are above the cap so it's in their best interests to try and clear out whoever they can.

I reckon following a new centre forward coming in this week, we won't be done yet. 

Jack Baird couldn't even get the nod on Saturday as 3rd choice centre half in a squad with 3 natural centre halves. His time at St. Mirren is indesputably finished and I can see him going back to the championship. If Jim doesn't rate him and that is crystal clear for all to see, he should move on in this window and let us get a chance of replacing him. 

Baird can't be on that high a wage, and if he's off on loan then it only frees up part of that.

I think you have a point though. If Goodwin isn't going to play him, then it's probably in both parties best interest that he move on. It's a shame, I feel for the lad, as I it's not through lack of effort that he's found himself in this position. He needs regular games and just isn't going to get them with who is ahead of him in the pecking order, including those who aren't natural centre backs.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Baird can't be on that high a wage, and if he's off on loan then it only frees up part of that.

I think you have a point though. If Goodwin isn't going to play him, then it's probably in both parties best interest that he move on. It's a shame, I feel for the lad, as I it's not through lack of effort that he's found himself in this position. He needs regular games and just isn't going to get them with who is ahead of him in the pecking order, including those who aren't natural centre backs.

I feel for the big lad he works hard and tries.  We now have an experienced back line so going out on loan the last year of his contract makes sense. Morton would take him back I'm sure. 

11 hours ago, Ric said:

Same here. I realise things like this happen sometimes, but I really thought he was a future Saints captain, a few years ago. I guess he just doesn't quite have the quality Jim's looking for, because surely his commitment and attitude are fine. I guess the Champ is about his level; Morton fans weren't exactly effusive in their praise of him.

I think he'll get mutually consented towards the back end of the window, perhaps when the Championship teams are finalising their squads.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Same here. I realise things like this happen sometimes, but I really thought he was a future Saints captain, a few years ago. I guess he just doesn't quite have the quality Jim's looking for, because surely his commitment and attitude are fine. I guess the Champ is about his level; Morton fans weren't exactly effusive in their praise of him.

I think he'll get mutually consented towards the back end of the window, perhaps when the Championship teams are finalising their squads.

I've got a feeling he'll drop a level, get a run of games than re-appear back in the premiership a better player for it.

I doubt he'll ever be a top defender but, for me, it's his decision making and positioning that lets him down rather than his tackling or distribution, and those two things will improve with experience. He won't get that sitting on the bench.

Jack's played 150 first team games for us , he's 24 years old. Over the years guys like McQueen , Reid and Mark Fulton were instantly identified as players who would play successfully at a high level.  Jack ,  for me,  has only ever been a stop gap centre back when we haven't had anyone else to play there. 

Jack has done us a good turn over the years and has looked far better when paired with an experienced partner.

Will always stick in my mind that Ian Murray felt Jack and Sean Kelly could be a defensive partnership for us, even staying at the Q&A that they would ‘surprise a lot of people’