The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Scottish football only has a poor reputation abroad in the eyes of Scottish football fans and the small English contingent whose nanas could apparently score 15 a season in the league. 

Everyone else in Europe, literally everyone, gives not a toss about Scottish football. It doesn't have a poor reputation, it just doesn't have a reputation. 

It's like asking your average Joe here their opinion on the Danish, Polish or Austrian league. Few, if any will offer any opinion as few, if any give a f**k. 

If PSV don't send him here, it will have heehaw to do with how the league is perceived. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, the guy is 21, doesn't seem to have been near the Ajax first team, and scored something like 3 goals in 20 games for Sparta Rotterdam last season. While he might have other offers, I really don't see this as the impossible dream.

Stop start last season for Rotterdam, had a good record the year before for PSV reserves in the 2nd division though. Looking at his stats from 18/19, he was getting 1 goal in every 3 games and 1 assist in every 4 so certainly reads like the sort who is a very busy forward. 

Edited by djchapsticks

47 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've not been this excited about an arrival at St Mirren Park since Guti became our manager.

With hindsight,  I'd have taken Guti's dog as opposed to the dumpling we did give the job to.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Stop start last season for Rotterdam, had a good record the year before for PSV reserves in the 2nd division though. Looking at his stats from 18/19, he was getting 1 goal in every 3 games and 1 assist in every 4 so certainly reads like the sort who is a very busy forward. 

Yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good signing, it's this idea that he is way beyond us and it couldn't ever happen that I don't get.

Hearing this may actually happen

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

You go to Ibrox or Parkhead with a view Saints will come away with nothing. It's not impossible to pick up points but rare.  I for one was shocked at how bad we were at ibrox  though St Johnstone's stats were simlour to St Mirren. Your hopes are always high at the start of the season with new players in the squad. Maybe I was expecting too much from the Rangers game. St Mirren play Hamilton this Saturday that should give us a better idea where we are. There is a striker to come in while two key midfielder players have to come back from injury by September.  

That makes sense, and as a fan you should be optimistic at the start of every year. 
Hell, being a Royals fan from 86–2012 was awful, but every April I’d some how talk myself into believing we had a shot at the playoffs 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good signing, it's this idea that he is way beyond us and it couldn't ever happen that I don't get.

Think our failure to land Verheydt last season and Beltrame the year before (on loan in Holland, he was actually a Juventus player) has put the air of unattainable about players from the Dutch leagues for us.

Holland isn't somewhere we've been extensive with in our dealings down the years, I can only remember Tesselaar, Haddad (who was very brief) and Renfurm ever coming from there.

Holland isn't somewhere we've been extensive with in our dealings down the years, I can only remember Tesselaar, Haddad (who was very brief) and Renfurm ever coming from there.

And whatever was smoked prior to the top 4 statement [emoji85]

Goodwin on a interview Not The Old Firm. Talking about English strikers we have on a list. Saying English lower leagues have now capped wages the Saints can now compete with League 1 in England for wages. No mention of Edam cheese or a striker for that matter. 

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Think our failure to land Verheydt last season and Beltrame the year before (on loan in Holland, he was actually a Juventus player) has put the air of unattainable about players from the Dutch leagues for us.

Nigel Hasselbaink, too. 

This one probably has next to no chance of coming off considering the interest from bigger clubs, but would I be right in saying I haven't bothered watching his YouTube highlight reel? Absolutely not.

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Saying English lower leagues have now capped wages the Saints can now compete with League 1 in England for wages. 

I never thought of that, but it's basically outstanding news. There is a grace period for existing contracts, so it'll be a few seasons before we really see the benefit. Here's hoping the cap stays in place.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I never thought of that, but it's basically outstanding news.

League 1 clubs will have salary levels capped at £50k per week for the entire squad. Around £2k per week on average.

League 2 will be £30k per week for the squad or just over £1.2k per week.

It more or less leaves it open season up here.

League 1 clubs will have salary levels capped at £50k per week for the entire squad. Around £2k per week on average.

I'd be astounded if clubs down there didn't just hand out hefty signing on fees/bonuses to get around it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Under-21s are exempt from the total, aren't they? And the clubs have got a little while to bring their affairs in order. It will be insane, though. I live less than a mile from the Sunderland training ground so take a vague interest in what's going on there... they're going to be utterly fucked. Will they use this as the platform to get their financial affairs in order? Almost certainly not.