The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I suppose the other issue is that anyone who is a half decent striker at youth level is even more likely to get pinched by a bigger club than a half decent midfielder, defender etc. It's a pity - I think Steven McGarry would be the last youth team striker to make an impact in our first team and that was 20 years ago. Since then I think the only home grown forwards to score have been Thomas Reilly and David McKenna. And Barry Lavety but he was late 20s by then 😅

Jon McShane too

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jon McShane too

I don't think he ever scored for us. Seem to remember we had a cup game against some lower league side, Thompson was injured and Lennon felt the best way to go was starting Hasselbaink and McGowan up front rather than giving him a chance.

It's interesting to see where Goodwin has handed out his praise. The new signings will always get a bit of good press, after all no manager is going to say that they've bought a plum, but I noticed he singled out Morais, McAllister and Baird for attention. All players that, for whatever reason, need a bit of a boost.

In regard the Thorvaldsson, I don't want to sound negative because from the videos he certainly looks like he has pace and tricks up his sleeve, I just worry that he'll struggle to make an impact. I hope I'm wrong, and it's not like he'll be first team, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Ric

Lavety made his 1st team debut nearly 30 years ago. There have been plenty of other clubs who have brought through home grown strikers in that time e.g. Steven Naismith, David Goodwillie, Johnny Russell, Leigh Griffiths, Mark McNulty, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Greg Stewart, Ross Stewart etc.

During that same time we've been brilliant at bringing through midfielders and reasonable with defenders but why we haven't brought through a striker is a bit of a mystery.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Lavety made his 1st team debut nearly 30 years ago. There have been plenty of other clubs who have brought through home grown strikers in that time e.g. Steven Naismith, David Goodwillie, Johnny Russell, Leigh Griffiths, Mark McNulty, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Greg Stewart, Ross Stewart etc.

During that same time we've been brilliant at bringing through midfielders and reasonable with defenders but why we haven't brought through a striker is a bit of a mystery.

I think that mystery is easily solved when you look at the National team over the last 30 years, and especially now- plenty of good quality midfielders and defenders but with a severe lack of forwards in comparison. 

I think Gordon Strachan had a good point with regards to size and physicality of players (especially forwards).

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I think that mystery is easily solved when you look at the National team over the last 30 years, and especially now- plenty of good quality midfielders and defenders but with a severe lack of forwards in comparison. 

I think Gordon Strachan had a good point with regards to size and physicality of players (especially forwards).

Lack of good centre forwards in Scotland is nothing new at international level.

No Scottish player has scored over 20 goals for the national team since Kenny Dalglish chucked it in the mid 80s.

Only 4 players in the history of our game have scored over 20 goals for Scotland. It's a pretty awful statistic.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No Scottish player has scored over 20 goals for the national team since Kenny Dalglish chucked it in the mid 80s.

Only 4 players in the history of our game have scored over 20 goals for Scotland. It's a pretty awful statistic.

Exactly.  I mind when Duncan Ferguson was going to be our great hope for the national team but injuries and a jail term quickly ended that hope.

The simple fact is we dont/cant produce physical centre forwards that are needed more than ever in the modern day game. 

Scotland fans and more worryingly some Scotland managers have had a fetish for our striker being able to cover every blade of grass on his own up front rather than someone who is a goal scoring penalty box poacher.

Hoofing the ball towards the corner flag for Kenny Miller to chase doesn't construe international football.

I don't think he ever scored for us. Seem to remember we had a cup game against some lower league side, Thompson was injured and Lennon felt the best way to go was starting Hasselbaink and McGowan up front rather than giving him a chance.

Which given subsequent careers proved to be absolutely correct. Jon McShane last seen in Scotland being released by Stenhousemuir and is currently playing in the regional leagues in Australia.

Scotland fans and more worryingly some Scotland managers have had a fetish for our striker being able to cover every blade of grass on his own up front rather than someone who is a goal scoring penalty box poacher.

Hoofing the ball towards the corner flag for Kenny Miller to chase doesn't construe international football.

That is so true, if Lineker was Scottish we would have dropped him for being a lazy bar steward..............Aye he might score goals but we need someone to shut down their full backs..........

58 minutes ago, Torfason said:

That is so true, if Lineker was Scottish we would have dropped him for being a lazy bar steward..............Aye he might score goals but we need someone to shut down their full backs..........

Yeah, totally agree. I don’t know if McBurnie is a player or not, but the abuse he got the last game at home was uncalled for. 

Lost enthusiasm for Scotland games because of the support. Used to be a crowd of boys that I grew up with and we all took the da’s, but everyone had drifted away from it. Full of teuchters that know f**k all about fitba, pissed up and using it as an excuse to get away from the mrs.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Although it would be magic, we don't need 15 a season. Obika was on target to get comfortably into double figures despite a slow start.

We need another who can chip in with 8-12 a season as beyond Obika, we didn't have anyone who looked like they could.

Last season I felt this is where the club relied on guys like Andreu, who had a very decent record, to chip in with a similar figure. Unfortunately it never worked out. We seemed to have quite a few attacking options from midfield who could potentially deputise as a deep supporting forward, though nothing seemed to click that converted to goals.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Theres an added pressure playing in the top league, to get results almost immediately or turn to the transfer market. 

Basher and McGarry are the only two in my time, who have made an impact. Ross Stewart could have possibly been given a better opportunity if Stubbs had not came in the door, though seemed to be used quite a bit out wide. Ross County played to his strengths and he gave  decent return in goals.

Our unders squad seem to produce quite a few goals between a regular pick of players. Hopefully one or two will get the chance to impress this season.

Edited by smellthepaw

Exactly.  I mind when Duncan Ferguson was going to be our great hope for the national team but injuries and a jail term quickly ended that hope.
The simple fact is we dont/cant produce physical centre forwards that are needed more than ever in the modern day game. 
And the fact that every time we lumped the ball up towards him every ref penalised his every challenge. Ferguson just encouraged the archetypal shite long ball dross that we are stereotyped for.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 hours ago, Munoz said:

And the fact that every time we lumped the ball up towards him every ref penalised his every challenge. Ferguson just encouraged the archetypal shite long ball dross that we are stereotyped for.

Just because you have a striker with physical presence doesn't mean you have to play "long ball dross".