The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Goodwin did say he hoped to have two signings in by the weekend PDE. We have plenty experience of disappointments. Fingers crossed it happens but your up against agents playing one club against another. 

Article in today's Sunday Mail about Kyle McAllister. (Not yet online).

A fair bit about his injury trials and tribulations, but it seems that our latest physio has spotted what was causing his back problems last season, which has allowed his injury to be fixed and that he's in the best shape he's ever been in.

Fingers crossed that his injury woes are behind him. We could do with a big season from him.

32 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Article in today's Sunday Mail about Kyle McAllister. (Not yet online).

A fair bit about his injury trials and tribulations, but it seems that our latest physio has spotted what was causing his back problems last season, which has allowed his injury to be fixed and that he's in the best shape he's ever been in.

Fingers crossed that his injury woes are behind him. We could do with a big season from him.

I hope so too in terms of his back. I can't see him ever being totally free of injury worries though.

I remember reading that he has a chronic groin issue that we've always known about and will just have to continue to manage as much as we can. If we can get 25 games a season out of him when he's performing to his abilities, that would be good enough for me. 

Last season was awfully disappointing. He looked like a shell of a player. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I hope so too in terms of his back. I can't see him ever being totally free of injury worries though.

I remember reading that he has a chronic groin issue that we've always known about and will just have to continue to manage as much as we can. If we can get 25 games a season out of him when he's performing to his abilities, that would be good enough for me. 

Last season was awfully disappointing. He looked like a shell of a player. 

He says that the back problem, where his back wasn't moving in synch with the rest of his body, was putting pressure on his groin and his hamstrings. So hopefully that was what was causing the groin issue, that we've known about.

Unfortunately chronic injuries like that affect you both physically and mentally.

As you say, hopefully the worst is behind him.

McAllister had the groin problem when he was with us the first time but it was manageable. it seems when he went to Derby they felt an operation would solve it and that seems to have been what fecked up his time there. If they'd let him manage it with the stretches etc he was doing here he'd have got on a lot better.

I'm sure McAllister has said before he isn't feeling pain, fittest he's felt etc and it hasn't worked out well. Hopefully this time is different.

Goodwin saying Baird and Erhahon back in contention and three boys promoted from the academy: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jim-goodwin-opens-door-jack-22297319

You could see by the way he was running last season that he wasn't at all comfortable. Fingers crossed, for him and for us.

Good news about Erhahon and Baird, too. That might reflect a lowering of standards on our part, but if you've got to bring young squad/fringe players in, it might as well be ones with as many first team appearances as they have.

You could see by the way he was running last season that he wasn't at all comfortable. Fingers crossed, for him and for us.
Good news about Erhahon and Baird, too. That might reflect a lowering of standards on our part, but if you've got to bring young squad/fringe players in, it might as well be ones with as many first team appearances as they have.
Erhahon is still a huge prospect imo. Definitely not at left back though.

Baird has a few years on him, been covered on here before about his ability. If our budget is cut, this pandemic could potentially have saved his career at Saints. Don't think he is good enough to start every week but as a back up to cover injuries and suspensions for 10 or so games I think he is adequate. A player at his age needs to be playing every week though. Will he have learned anything at Morton to improve him as a player that he wouldn't have been taught with us? Doubtful.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Erhahon is still a huge prospect imo. Definitely not at left back though.

Baird has a few years on him, been covered on here before about his ability. If our budget is cut, this pandemic could potentially have saved his career at Saints. Don't think he is good enough to start every week but as a back up to cover injuries and suspensions for 10 or so games I think he is adequate. A player at his age needs to be playing every week though. Will he have learned anything at Morton to improve him as a player that he wouldn't have been taught with us? Doubtful.

In the current financial climate, clubs like us will have to rely on the likes of Baird and Erhahon and our youth players, in order to bolster our squad and take a more active part in matchday squads.

13 players were released, or sent back to their parent clubs. I think we'll be lucky to bring in four or five players, in addition to the two we've already signed. I would love to be wrong though.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

In the current financial climate, clubs like us will have to rely on the likes of Baird and Erhahon and our youth players, in order to bolster our squad and take a more active part in matchday squads.

13 players were released, or sent back to their parent clubs. I think we'll be lucky to bring in four or five players, in addition to the two we've already signed. I would love to be wrong though.

Yeah. I guessed before pre season that we'd bring in 6-8 new players. Nothing I've seen has changed that. We currently have a first team squad of 15 (including Erhahon and Baird) so another 5 in plus the 3 young lads that Goodwin mentioned should be enough to go with. 

Guys like Baird are fine to supplement the squad for now. My feeling is that we'll go with 4 centre halves. Baird and Mccarthy are currently there just now. So we'll almost certainly bring another 2 on board. 

I know Goodwin has mentioned Jamieson, Jack and Henderson getting promoted to the first team squad as youngsters but what about Cammy Breadner and Nick McAllister? Are they still with us? Just as neither were announced as released and had a few brief first team opportunities in the last year or two. 

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

The three young guys promoted are all midfeild/forward types aren't they? Did Breadner stay or has he gone? 

Jamieson is a winger, Jack a centre forward and Henderson an attacking mid/forward I think. 

Looking at the official site, Breadner is listed in the first team section so it appears he's here and going to be involved too. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jamieson is a winger, Jack a centre forward and Henderson an attacking mid/forward I think. 

Looking at the official site, Breadner is listed in the first team section so it appears he's here and going to be involved too. 

Did he not play left winger v Wrexham?

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Did he not play left winger v Wrexham?

Not sure, I thought I'd read reports that had him being an attacking mid but I've admittedly not saw too much of him or Josh Jack and I know little about them. 

I do like what I've seen of Breadner and Jamieson though. Hopefully one or two (preferably all four) of these lads will be able to make the step up.

20 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Is Scott Glover still at the club?

He was one of the players put on furlough until they were officially released.

This provision (furlough scheme before leaving the club) will also be extended to the following academy players Conor McBrearty, Scott Glover, David Wilson, Matthew Grant, Kyle Girvan and Dominic Lavelle. 

Should we read anything into the delay to Shaughnessy and/or Jakubiak announcements? From the way Goodwin was speaking it sounded like it was happening fairly soon, certainly the way the Record was spinning Shaughnessy anyway.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Should we read anything into the delay to Shaughnessy and/or Jakubiak announcements? From the way Goodwin was speaking it sounded like it was happening fairly soon, certainly the way the Record was spinning Shaughnessy anyway.

Along with the reassuring words about Jack Baird coming into contention and young players being promoted? Yeah, possibly.

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Probably his agent trying to get a better deal we know what goes on. That might not be out there so fingers crossed.  

You would think that all parties would rather deals done sooner rather later in the current circumstances, including the perennial blockers - agents. There will be a distinct lack of trial opportunities for players due to the restrictions in training regimes and insurance purposes. I would’ve thought if a player was set on a move then this summer then they would want to ensure it was done as soon as possible. We’ve plenty of time to sign players since friendlies aren’t permitted yet.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Along with the reassuring words about Jack Baird coming into contention and young players being promoted? Yeah, possibly.

Got a feeling Baird was always going to be given a chance, but Goodwin certainly seemed to be quite complimentary. Might be his style, build his confidence up and say, "you want to play, prove it" and it could work. We'll still need at least one other body in there though.

Jamieson played as a striker (iirc) when he got some game time, was that really last season or the season before, it's gone a bit hazy tbh. So perhaps a 'replacement' for Cooke?