The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just checked on bet365. The odds on St Mirren’s strikeforce being Sanfranko & May are the same as me being picked for the next European Ryder Cup team, and getting a call from Kylie Minogue saying she’s coming over to my place tonight wearing the outfit she sported at the Glesga’ Commonwealth Games.

9AF7CBC0-D6FF-46F6-B0F2-29B247BAC06B.jpeg

Correct. Safranko and Isma odds though? Now you're talking. :lol:

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. Safranko and Isma odds though? Now you're talking. :lol:

If Kylie descended on my place tonight wearing that, frankly, our strikeforce could be Laurel & Hardy for all I’d care. 😃

55 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

He’ll still sign for St Johnstone, they’re most likely be playing Rowan Vine publicly to get the wages down. 

Yeah, I reckon Rowan Vine chipping at Goodwin was to try to get Saints to actually make the offer that he'd told St Johnstone they'd received. Shat himself when they called his bluff.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Looks like we’ve been played by another agent in order to get his client a better deal with another club. 

Seems to be the way of it. Pretty unsavoury stuff, but I suppose that is how they get their cut.

As for May, he should be more focused on reviving his flagging career. Again, though, it has to be remembered that Roy of the Rovers was a cartoon strip.

15 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Seems to be the way of it. Pretty unsavoury stuff, but I suppose that is how they get their cut.

As for May, he should be more focused on reviving his flagging career. Again, though, it has to be remembered that Roy of the Rovers was a cartoon strip.

It certainly won’t help the mood of our fans on twitter, who continue their nasty and relentless pursuit of Gus and Fitzy and now a club director with some quite horrible tweets.

its only fitba ffs, some need a complete reality check, and a bit of perspective.

Edited by glenburn bud

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It certainly won’t help the mood of our fans on twitter, who continue their nasty and relentless pursuit of Gus and Fitzy and now a club director with some quite horrible tweets.

its only fitba ffs, some need a complete reality check, and a bit of perspective.

I dont have a problem with Gus when he came in I thought due to last pre-season it was a good idea to have someone of his stature to watch games to find players which is a big part of his duty. You do have to ask on that front has it worked. Next it could be another player in the squad with his wage. I for one am worried at the lack of signings with 10 players out and two in with eight days till the first league game is very worrying.  Dont need names does anyone know if we are close to signings. 

28 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I've missed most of that, fortunately.

People are getting restless, and that's not surprising, but there is nothing to be achieved by having digs at club officials on social media when few, if any, of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

The man I feel most sympathy for is Jim Goodwin. What a shitstorm he has walked into. We really could do with a couple of decent signings very soon to give everyone a lift.

Everyone connected with the club - board, players, staff, fans - all know we need an overhaul in a massive sense. Everyone knows we are behind where

Yet nothing from the club....not a peep and in a strange way, that's actually very reassuring to me. 

We'd have almost certainly shit the bed by now and just panic bought if things were so desperately bad. We've seen it happen too many times in the past.

I'm wholly relaxed that there is plenty going on behind the scenes and we'll be in a lot better place by the end of the window.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Everyone connected with the club - board, players, staff, fans - all know we need an overhaul in a massive sense. Everyone knows we are behind where

Yet nothing from the club....not a peep and in a strange way, that's actually very reassuring to me. 

We'd have almost certainly shit the bed by now and just panic bought if things were so desperately bad. We've seen it happen too many times in the past.

I'm wholly relaxed that there is plenty going on behind the scenes and we'll be in a lot better place by the end of the window.

The only concern there being the window closing in September we dont get enough bodies in before hand. Cant see us picking up any points in our first three games if we lose heavily it wont take much for the crowd to turn. That will effect the players confidence . 

Mays off to Dundee.

We agreed a wage on Tuesday night, Dundee were told the amount and offered more Tuesday night.

Vine was likely telling Goodwin what Dundee had offered on Wednesday night.

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

The only concern there being the window closing in September we dont get enough bodies in before hand. Cant see us picking up any points in our first three games if we lose heavily it wont take much for the crowd to turn. That will effect the players confidence . 

Why worry? We will get bodies in FFS. That is a given. I'd rather we get the correct bodies in.

We could have signed everyone we wanted in June and July, stoated into the first 3 games and lose all three convincingly anyway. 3 very, very hard games to start the season with.

Might be a bit Comical Ali here, but there is no need to panic.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

At the risk of  being accorded arch pedant status, I would suggest that one cannot assume that there is no need to panic, only that there is absolutely no point to it🙂

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mays off to Dundee.

We agreed a wage on Tuesday night, Dundee were told the amount and offered more Tuesday night.

May would have been a good signing for us and would probably have been worth us pushing the boat out a bit for but not to the extent Dundee apparently are. They're heading for another administration given their losses even before relegation and how much they appear cash they appear to be chucking about this summer.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mays off to Dundee.

Absolute scenes in the Championship/Dundee this season. One of them is going to end up in the playoffs, too. Seems like an unnecessarily big gamble.

50 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Why worry? We will get bodies in FFS. That is a given. I'd rather we get the correct bodies in.

We could have signed everyone we wanted in June and July, stoated into the first 3 games and lose all three convincingly anyway. 3 very, very hard games to start the season with.

Not panicking and have never booed the team in my life.  I reckon there will will be two or three players in before the Hibs game. Still well short. If we have a bad start and you dont think a good portion of the crowd wont turn then I'm surprised. East Kilbride, Albion Rovers booos  have started already..