The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Absolutely. But what you fail to deal with is the fact that the "Great Escape" squad was widely tipped by fans everywhere to be play off place challengers at that start of that season. Instead the club went till mid December without a league win and finished in the clubs lowest position in over 40 years. Whilst last season the CEO was telling everyone, including prospective managers who ran a mile at his nonsense, that St Mirren's squad was good enough to finish top 4 to top 6! 

There are positives as I outlined but the negatives are just as clear and just as plentiful. 

4 hours ago, TQM said:

At no point did he say that the St Mirren squad was good enough to finish top 4 or 6.

4 hours ago, Malky3 said:

In 2016 he said St Mirren would be Scottish Champions by 2019. Last year he said, and repeated often, that St Mirren were a "top 4 - top 6" club. This season he's repeated it again although this time he tempered it saying it would take some time to get there. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45476353

From the link you put on...

"I'm a St Mirren fanatic and I believe this club should be in the top six, top four of Scottish football."

As I said, he did not say that the St Mirren squad would finish top 6.

Read the quotes instead of just the headline. They both tell a different story.

9 hours ago, TQM said:

At no point did he say that the St Mirren squad was good enough to finish top 4 or 6.

Did Nelson not say the clubs budget did not match its expectations.  That's a comment said quite a lot that we had unrealistic expectations from pundits.  We all want the best for our club clearly we are struggling to bring in new players at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Did Nelson not say the clubs budget did not match its expectations.  That's a comment said quite a lot that we had unrealistic expectations from pundits.  We all want the best for our club clearly we are struggling to bring in new players at the moment. 

Neilson went in a huff because there were other interviews taking place. He felt he should be the only choice. 

3 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Neilson went in a huff because there were other interviews taking place. He felt he should be the only choice. 

I think he felt his stock was high at the time too and that he was bigger than the job. Couldn't even win promotion with the biggest budget in the championship last season, so probably dodged a bullet there.

11 minutes ago, Silvio said:

After seeing him fail to saunter that league with that budget, and then witnessing some of his truly clueless tactical decision-making - not to mention his celebrations at getting to extra time/penalties - in the playoffs, I think we dodged a bullet.

Edit: or, what @smellthepaw said 😂 started to type the post and left it open in my browser. Great minds, etc.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Gordon Scott is a business man and a huge fan of the club, always has been and continues to do what’s best for the club.

So f**k if it’s his way or the highway, it’s his club to do as he wishes until the fan buyout is completed. Without him there might not have been a club to support given the calibre of potential buyers looking to get their hands on the club when the previous board wanted out.

Is it too much to ask that as a fanbase we unite behind the club and show some support instead of always looking for ways to find fault and lay blame.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Gordon Scott is a business man and a huge fan of the club, always has been and continues to do what’s best for the club.

So f**k if it’s his way or the highway, it’s his club to do as he wishes until the fan buyout is completed. Without him there might not have been a club to support given the calibre of potential buyers looking to get their hands on the club when the previous board wanted out.

Is it too much to ask that as a fanbase we unite behind the club and show some support instead of always looking for ways to find fault and lay blame.

Agreed.

We are two weeks behind where we should given the managerial situation. Unfortunate, but I’m sure Goody and the team are busting a gut to rectify. 

Seems to have picked up pace given the Dutch striker knocking us back. I could be wrong, but he scored 12 or so goals in the second division, over 30 plus games. People need to note that NBM scored 7 in 23 in the league above...

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm sure we all understand Gordon Scott or nothing else at the moment.  We also know he is a St Mirren fan . Surly that does not mean we can not  be critical  ? Everyone makes mistakes three managers in one year dont think I have ever heard of that no matter the circumstances.  The turnover of players in the last two years is astounding = a lot of spunked cash. I'm a member of SMISA fan ownership is not going to be easy given all the different opinions.  

Edited by Demented Zebra

7 hours ago, Malky3 said:

As for the old board they also had their positives and negatives. I believe their deal to sell Love Street was one of the finest bits of business ever done at the club. The timing was impeccable and I think they extracted all the money they could have done out of the deal. Where they perhaps should have done better is in that having got an empty piece of land and a large blank piece of paper they failed to build in the kind of facilities that could be used by the local community to boost income into the club, but then I'm led to believe Gordon Scott was heavily involved in the development of the new stadium so perhaps it too was one of his failings.

Gordon Scott was indeed heavily involved in the development of the new stadium (I think the BoD agreed to this on account of his experience in the construction industry, which makes perfect sense), but the bottom line was that all Tesco had agreed to fund was a basic, SPL compliant stadium. I also understand that it was their choice to opt for BARR as the construction firm.

When a few of us met with Gordon during the latter stages of construction for a tour of the stadium, it was clear that he had put a great deal of his own time and effort into the project. He was, however, frustrated at having his hands tied in terms of pursuing ways of personalising the stadium and developing it more creatively. I think he had hoped that the BoD would have freed up some additional funds for this purpose. In that respect, I would be inclined to hold him least responsible for the somewhat soulless collection of 4 shoe boxes we were presented with when the stadium initially opened.

Edited by Drooper
Typo

I think he had hoped that the BoD would have freed up some additional funds for this purpose. In that respect, I would be inclined to hold him least responsible for the somewhat soulless collection of 4 shoe boxes we were presented with when the stadium initially opened.

Not sure why he would be the least responsible, he was part of the board as well at the point, he would have been aware what was and wasn’t agreed with Tesco

18 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Not sure why he would be the least responsible, he was part of the board as well at the point, he would have been aware what was and wasn’t agreed with Tesco

You do know how these things work, I take it?

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:
33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
I don't expect us to be done there.

Kellermann?

That was my thoughts. Could Tansey be another.  To be honest looking at what we have you could cull most of the squad. 

Just now, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

What was the story with this boy ????£75'000 and 2 games

We got conned by Stubbs who claimed that this guy who had never played full-time professional football was the next big thing. Signed him from the Vardy Academy for the Premiership.

Would’ve liked to have seen Tansey with another chance this season, but it looks like there’s something going on behind the scenes there that looks like it will negate any chance of us seeing him again.

Edited by RossC93