The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Absolutely no need to panick, granted the majority of trialists last night didn’t look good enough but at least they’re not our players. Last season Stubbs filled the squad with guys of that standard. We’ve had a look at them, they’re not up to it so will hopefully be told to look elsewhere. I did think Djorkaeff & the number 22 looked decent.

We’re a bit behind with recruitment at this stage but I’d rather wait for the right players instead of getting bodies in for the sake of it.

There was a team of French out of contract players over training and staying at the University of Stirling last week and they played a series of bounce games, one of which was against Alloa and was being watched by many professional teams.  I might be wrong but I think they beat Alloa 3-1.

I'm guessing the trialists were picked up from there with the obvious exception of Longrdige and Djorkaeff.   If they showed up well in those bounce games then they were worth a look in amongst the squad.  By all accounts none of them were good enough so we move on, nothing to worry about.

28 minutes ago, Hawn said:

There was a team of French out of contract players over training and staying at the University of Stirling last week and they played a series of bounce games, one of which was against Alloa and was being watched by many professional teams.  I might be wrong but I think they beat Alloa 3-1.

I'm guessing the trialists were picked up from there with the obvious exception of Longrdige and Djorkaeff.   If they showed up well in those bounce games then they were worth a look in amongst the squad.  By all accounts none of them were good enough so we move on, nothing to worry about.

Seems reasonable if this is the case. 

Certainly more palatable that, than the thought of us scouring l'equippe for Amiens reserves and FC Dijon's retained lists and thinking 'nice name, fancy a kick about?' before bringing them all over in the oner. 

1 hour ago, Stevie88 said:

We’re a bit behind with recruitment at this stage but I’d rather wait for the right players instead of getting bodies in for the sake of it.

Wasn't the appointment of a DoF supposed to prevent this?

Maybe they held off signing anyone because they knew OK was offski and wanted to let the new manager pick his own signings instead?

Are we that far behind anyway? What team around us has made a signing that we are envious of? We are at the lower end of the food chain, we need to wait for the bigger clubs to wheel and deal before we can get the scraps, but there is a few teams in the same boat.

Absolutely, but we had the unwanted uncertainty of Oran’s future to deal with.

Gus & co identity the players which suit the profile then as mentioned in GS interview yesterday, They knew for a while that it looked possible that OK was leaving hence the fast appointment of Goodwin. Leaving the final decision to Jim on the players who meet our profile.

I’m pretty sure a lot of work has been done with regards to recruiting players & I think it makes sense to make sure Goodwin likes them before offering them contracts.

18 hours ago, Lex said:

Got a source for that?

Are the bad players cause of him and the good ones nothing to do with him?

Some ‘head of recruitment’ if we signed two players that ‘he wanted nothing to do with’ 🤣

Isn't that the same deal as Danny Lennon's?

Edited by Insaintee

1 hour ago, Stevie88 said:

Absolutely, but we had the unwanted uncertainty of Oran’s future to deal with.

Gus & co identity the players which suit the profile then as mentioned in GS interview yesterday, They knew for a while that it looked possible that OK was leaving hence the fast appointment of Goodwin. Leaving the final decision to Jim on the players who meet our profile.

I’m pretty sure a lot of work has been done with regards to recruiting players & I think it makes sense to make sure Goodwin likes them before offering them contracts.

That sounds more like a Chief Scout to me, when GM was announced as DoF the club statement was.

Chairman Gordon Scott said the new structure was introduced because "we have learned lessons" in recent months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45564078

I think Gus was appointed so that things don’t stand still if there’s a bit of turmoil going on, which has been happening more often than not the last few seasons. He is busy identifying players & then puts them to the manager who has the final say.

IMO, it would be daft to sign players without consulting with the new manager, which is why I think we’re slightly behind with recruitment.

I'm sure I read in one of the reports of the press conference Gordon Scott saying something like "I probably shouldn't say anything as I'll land myself in trouble" - then he ploughed on 😂

Regardless of who is right or wrong, I think some people at the club could do with some proper training on how to talk to the media, preferably from a Malcolm Tucker type. I await that being included in the next SMISA monthly spend e-mail, which must be due soon.

Edited by Stu

Forgetting all this war of words nonsense I think St Mirren have really dodged a bullet getting Kearney away.  I know he kept you up but I felt he was like a rabbit in the headlights last year, I don't think he appreciated how big a club St Mirren were or probably how big Scottish football was in general in terms of the interest.

If it was my own club I would take Goodwin over Kearney every day of the week.  Hopefully St Mirren can stay up for a few seasons as its easy points for my lot.

2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Forgetting all this war of words nonsense I think St Mirren have really dodged a bullet getting Kearney away.  I know he kept you up but I felt he was like a rabbit in the headlights last year, I don't think he appreciated how big a club St Mirren were or probably how big Scottish football was in general in terms of the interest.

If it was my own club I would take Goodwin over Kearney every day of the week.  Hopefully St Mirren can stay up for a few seasons as its easy points for my lot.

Can't disagree with this. Never really understood St Mirren's fans being steadfast in their belief that he was transforming the club. Thought he done a horrific job and was woefully out of his depth. He was massively fortunate that Dundee had the worst manager we've statistically ever had in our 126 year history.

I don't know if Goodwin will keep St Mirren up this year but I do reckon he'll give a better fist of it than Kearney would have done this season IMO.

15 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

That was heading for a greenie until the last seven words.

ETA, f**k it, have one.

Edited by Arch Stanton

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm sure I read in one of the reports of the press conference Gordon Scott saying something like "I probably shouldn't say anything as I'll land myself in trouble" - then he ploughed on 😂

Regardless of who is right or wrong, I think some people at the club could do with some proper training on how to talk to the media, preferably from a Malcolm Tucker type. I await that being included in the next SMISA monthly spend e-mail, which must be due soon.

I've done a fair bit of media training... I might get a pitch in.