The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

My lasting memory of Goodwin is him with his arms in the air celebrating after nutmegging David Villa against New York City in Manchester. 

(No, I haven't had anything today, yet)

Have a greenie for reminding me I'd still to buy the latest edition of Nutmeg, which has an article about that incident in it.

Goodwin's nutmeg was the most bizarre moment of what was a rather surreal night, which ended with Villa having the honour of shaking my hand.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have a greenie for reminding me I'd still to buy the latest edition of Nutmeg, which has an article about that incident in it.

Goodwin's nutmeg was the most bizarre moment of what was a rather surreal night, which ended with Villa having the honour of shaking my hand.

That was the game where you got me a team-sheet, as there was no match programme, and it was NYC FCs first ever 90 minute game, wasn’t it? Unless the memory is playing tricks, to that point, as a new club, they had only played shorter ‘training exercise’ type matches?

That was the game where you got me a team-sheet, as there was no match programme, and it was NYC FCs first ever 90 minute game, wasn’t it? Unless the memory is playing tricks, to that point, as a new club, they had only played shorter ‘training exercise’ type matches?
New club or company [emoji12].

Did we not end up with that friendly because they are affiliated to Man City and we took Drury and Plummer on loan in an attempt to seduce City? That worked out well.

18 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yup that was the game. Also notable for Alan Gow making his first, but sadly not last, Saints appearance.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

All part of the service. 

I didn't realise it had gone down in the annals of Scottish football history. It was certainly worth a chuckle at the time and recounting over pre-match beers in the future but surprised it's worth writing articles about tbh.

6 hours ago, Lex said:

Jim Goodwin will have the resources to bring in his own players and build a squad capable of competing at this level. If he didn’t he wouldn’t have came.

He's still not proved himself in that aspect of management. His signing record with Alloa was average at best with a large number of squad fillers. The current team is still 2/3rd's the great Jack Ross ' s signings. Wish him all the best, but nowhere near as good as Ross and Hendrie when you pinched them from us. 

51 minutes ago, Tamhain said:

He's still not proved himself in that aspect of management. His signing record with Alloa was average at best with a large number of squad fillers. The current team is still 2/3rd's the great Jack Ross ' s signings. Wish him all the best, but nowhere near as good as Ross and Hendrie when you pinched them from us. 

He'll have more support in that area now, mind.

Theres yer Fitzpatrick piling pressure on Goodwin with comments that'll be brought up for the entire season by the media now, and if it's a poor start, will see Goodwin under media pressure because hes expected to make the top half.

Clueless why nobody at your club tells him to stay quiet 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres yer Fitzpatrick piling pressure on Goodwin with comments that'll be brought up for the entire season by the media now, and if it's a poor start, will see Goodwin under media pressure because hes expected to make the top half.

He had bigger gems than a top 6 finish tbf:

"Why not try and win [the league] - it's there to be won. It might seem impossible, but I look at Leicester City a few years ago and everybody said it was impossible for them to win the league."

"There's teams who have been in the top six like Dundee, Partick Thistle, Ross County, Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I think St Mirren are a far bigger club than any of them. So we should be striving for that."

😆

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fitzy got on really well with previous managers despite "piling pressure" on the likes of Jack Ross and Oran Kearney. JR still speaks to him on a regular basis and Kearney continually thanked him throughout his time here (and again on his leaving statement this week). 

Tony speaks the truth, there is absolutely no reason why we should not be aiming as high as we can when fellow diddies have punched above their weight for years. 

I don't think Fitzpatrick's comments will put any more pressure on Goodwin to be honest. People know that if they ask Fitzpatrick what he thinks St Mirren should aim for then he'll say something that's probably unrealistic. I can't believe it still gets column inches really, and I can't believe fans of other clubs actually care.

Goodwin's targets would have been discussed behind closed doors.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think Fitzpatrick's comments will put any more pressure on Goodwin to be honest. People know that if they ask Fitzpatrick what he thinks St Mirren should aim for then he'll say something that's probably unrealistic. I can't believe it still gets column inches really, and I can't believe fans of other clubs actually care.

Goodwin's targets would have been discussed behind closed doors.

It’s typical media shite, they’ve jumped on him basically saying that the long term goal would be a top six finish.  He should know better than to give them the ammunition to twist his words. But that’s Fitzy.

I really don't get the deal about the top 6 utopia anyway.

Maybe when we had a decent team in the early 80's we could have been considered one of the best in the country but we are so far off the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and obviously the gruesome twosome. When they are all in decent shape thats 5 out of 6 positions sewn up before a ball has been kicked.

StJohnstone and Motherwell both failed to get in it last season, does that mean Wright and Robinson failed and are under pressure?

Look at Thistle, they done brilliant to finish in the top 6 then 18 months later were fighting for their lives to stay in the Championship.

We need to get another good run of seasons in the top flight, get a bit of stability behind the scenes and on the pitch. It isn't arrogant to say we should be looking to finish above Livi, Accies, County, then the season after build again and try to catch the likes of the Saintees and Well who are in turn trying to catch Killie.

Might seem negative or unambitious but I'd gladly take 9th/10th with the odd cup run for a good few seasons, the top 6 doesn't even mean anything, especially if you take a pumping off the 5 teams after the split.

31 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

"Why not try and win [the league] - it's there to be won. It might seem impossible, but I look at Leicester City a few years ago and everybody said it was impossible for them to win the league."

"There's teams who have been in the top six like Dundee, Partick Thistle, Ross County, Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I think St Mirren are a far bigger club than any of them. So we should be striving for that."

😆

Fitzy was in the top six regular as a St Mirren player that's where it comes from. Granted he should know times have a changed since his day. Goodwin keep us in top flight will do me then build on it. 

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I really don't get the deal about the top 6 utopia anyway.

Maybe when we had a decent team in the early 80's we could have been considered one of the best in the country but we are so far off the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and obviously the gruesome twosome. When they are all in decent shape thats 5 out of 6 positions sewn up before a ball has been kicked.

StJohnstone and Motherwell both failed to get in it last season, does that mean Wright and Robinson failed and are under pressure?

Look at Thistle, they done brilliant to finish in the top 6 then 18 months later were fighting for their lives to stay in the Championship.

We need to get another good run of seasons in the top flight, get a bit of stability behind the scenes and on the pitch. It isn't arrogant to say we should be looking to finish above Livi, Accies, County, then the season after build again and try to catch the likes of the Saintees and Well who are in turn trying to catch Killie.

Might seem negative or unambitious but I'd gladly take 9th/10th with the odd cup run for a good few seasons, the top 6 doesn't even mean anything, especially if you take a pumping off the 5 teams after the split.

Finishing top 6 would mean a fair bit financially for St Mirren. Aside from the obvious - which is top 6 would be a great achievement rather than shitting our pants at the bottom, it would see visiting fans in bigger numbers than three men and a dug’ on a piece of string meandering through from Hamilton or Livingston.

We would need to add at least 6 players that are all of better quality than what we had last season. Whether we have the finances for that I very much doubt. Coupled with that , we would need to find consistency over the course of a full season. 

There's nothing wrong with having ambition,  but presently we should be concentrating on avoiding the bottom 2 places. 

Finishing top 6 would mean a fair bit financially for St Mirren. Aside from the obvious - which is top 6 would be a great achievement rather than shitting our pants at the bottom, it would see visiting fans in bigger numbers than three men and a dug’ on a piece of string meandering through from Hamilton or Livingston.
We would need to add at least 6 players that are all of better quality than what we had last season. Whether we have the finances for that I very much doubt. Coupled with that , we would need to find consistency over the course of a full season. 
There's nothing wrong with having ambition,  but presently we should be concentrating on avoiding the bottom 2 places. 
Yeah, financially it would be incredible but as Munoz said we would need to speculate to accumulate. Take it bit by bit, the longer we are in this league we can start to build, invest more in the youth academy then afford to push the boat out a bit

28 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Fitzy was in the top six regular as a St Mirren player... 

First spell, 73-79, 0 top six finishes.

Second spell, 81-89, 4 top six finishes.

So, in his 14 years there, you finished top six 4 times. The last time you done it was in that spell, in 1985.

Theres no excuse for his constant prattling on about how St Mirren should be a top six side, it's just moronic and sets everyone up for a fall before the seasons even begun. Literally mo benefit to him speaking out at all.

[emoji38]
The man is a clown .you set your targets within your dressing room to give out those comments the day after JG arrives is crazy . but as I said on a previous message JG is no fool