The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 22/06/2019 at 17:41, Demented Zebra said:

Trust me I do.. What makes the world go round ? If Oran goes there wont be a hope in hell Goodwin will take the job under current circumstances. Normally I know nothing other than what is posted by those in the know. This morning I recieved a text from  someone I trust 500%. Money is in short supply believe that or not. 

On 22/06/2019 at 23:40, Demented Zebra said:

That's what I heard also. Also heard we are Iin financial melt down so why would Goodwin accept  ,?. Scott is I n trouble this will back fire we are financially  fucked from what I'm hearing . 

Whilst you didn't say the words 'no budget', 'financial meltdown' and 'financially fucked' are as close as it gets to 'no money'.

It's apparently so bad that there was no hope of Goodwin taking the job in current circumstances and yet here we are.

So I mean, yes, I concede this has likely been a very costly exercise but I continue to point blank refuse to believe any claims of financial meltdown as I can guarantee this would be more widely reported than one person texting another.

You don't have to show me text messages, I don't at all doubt the existence of the texts and I don't think you're making up what you were told. I do, however, doubt the accuracy/sincerity of the actual messages you're being sent.

Edited by djchapsticks

Kearney snaked us. I can't believe people still can't see that. He'll be at Coleraine, which he planned all along, by next week, unless we've managed to shaft him back and stick him on Gardening leave.

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

Kearney snaked us. I can't believe people still can't see that. He'll be at Coleraine, which he planned all along, by next week, unless we've managed to shaft him back and stick him on Gardening leave.

Personally, for me, what absolute lovely banter that would be. 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Personally, for me, what absolute lovely banter that would be. 

I would love it, but I expect it would be too expensive. Probably better to just cut our losses on the snake.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Whilst you didn't say the words 'no budget', 'financial meltdown' and 'financially fucked' are as close as it gets to 'no money'.

It's apparently so bad that there was no hope of Goodwin taking the job in current circumstances and yet here we are.

So I mean, yes, I concede this has likely been a very costly exercise but I continue to point blank refuse to believe any claims of financial meltdown as I can guarantee this would be more widely reported than one person texting another.

You don't have to show me text messages, I don't at all doubt the existence of the texts and I don't think you're making up what you were told. I do, however, doubt the accuracy/sincerity of the actual messages you're being sent.

Funnily enough Irish League insider has touched on it this week on twitter so ether Oran was fed bull or there is something in it. 

The words I have are cuts to be made through out the club and a much lower player budget. Anyway time will tell as long as we have a good season. 

4 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

IMO the club needs a buy out what is the score with the ownership of the club who and what shares do people own

Gordon Scott is the largest share holder. He purchased the club for the fans. SMISA has around 1,200 fans paying  £12 a month over ten years to buy out Gordon Scott so St Mirren will become a fan owned club with 51% shares.

20 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

So what asset's does the club have

There is no way assets will need to be sold not that we have much. The club has always been run well especially under the old board with no debt. Would be surprised if we have any debt now. More a case of cutting your cloth acordingly 

Ah the old ‘end is nigh’ chat. Been a couple of years since heard it last right enough.

Our budget won’t be the biggest in the league next year but it won’t be the smallest either.

Jim Goodwin will have the resources to bring in his own players and build a squad capable of competing at this level. If he didn’t he wouldn’t have came.

Personally I’m much more optimistic about this season now than I was a couple of weeks ago. The PE teacher is going back to school and we finally have a proper manager in place.

Roll on the new season to stop all the rumours and made up stuff. Jim Goodwin's appointment is a step forward in the right direction after an uncertain period. I'm not sure who was to blame for OK debacle and i'm pretty sure 99% of the "ITK fans" aren't either. I don't really give a toss either way because we've got who we wanted so it's onwards and upwards!

On 27/06/2019 at 13:02, whereismillar said:

I hope jim does well with you guys he deserves time and will be given more slack for who he is hopefully , 

for our next manager (and your future one ) who would you recommend ?

Stephen McGinn but not yet. But you'll have to find someone else in the meantime.

My lasting memory of Goodwin is him with his arms in the air celebrating after nutmegging David Villa against New York City in Manchester. 

(No, I haven't had anything today, yet)

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Wonderful to get Goodwin in so quickly and move on. The right man. 

Kearney's tag line of 'a week is a long time in football' is quite apt as it felt like games lasted a bloody week with his negative tactics. 

Kearney was pretty negative, he also played players out of position, and sent out some strange looking starting XIs... and I don’t mean strange looking in a Davie Dodds way.

However, the bloke had one remit - stop the bleeding, save the patient from doing a Falkirk...

He achieved that. Plus, he did it in a manner that also re-built a broken relationship between fans and club. Doesn’t really matter that it was a Gus-esque shitfest (at times). At times it was also pretty exciting, especially during the last ten or twelve games. The guy did a more than decent job. I started looking forward to coming along to games again, it wasn’t like the days of Gus’ sides completely boring the shite out of us with 0-0 draws against Accies.