The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Sorry if the below seems like stating the obvious to St Mirren fans who’ve been speculating about this since the Coleraine job became available again, but for those of us looking in from the outside.

Would a fair guess at what’s happened here be that Kearney has known for a while he wants back to Coleraine, he has deliberately made unrealistic demands of Scott or otherwise made his position untenable to ensure St Mirren don’t want to keep him, and the reason it’s dragged out for this long is that St Mirren don’t want to pay him off for sacking him while Coleraine don’t want to pay compensation for poaching him so they’ve both just waited for other club to blink first?

Edited by Dunning1874

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Sorry if the below seems like stating the obvious to St Mirren fans who’ve been speculating about this since the Coleraine job became available again, but for those of us looking in from the outside.

Would a fair guess at what’s happened here be that Kearney has known for a while he wants back to Coleraine, he has deliberately made unrealistic demands of Scott or otherwise made his position untenable to ensure St Mirren don’t want to keep him, and the reason it’s dragged out for this long is that St Mirren don’t want to pay him off for sacking him while Coleraine don’t want to pay compensation for poaching him so they’ve both just waited for other club to blink first?

Maybees aye, maybees naw.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Seems like a fair assumption.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yep, seems to be the sensible conclusion.

Bizarre that Popescu is back for despite not actually signing yet, even if his loan contract "expires at the end of the month". I'd imagine if that is the case, the likes of Nazon, Lyons, McAllister, Corbu etc would also be back for a week.

Would be some signing if it goes ahead.

Edited by RossC93

I do like Kearney and you can’t underestimate the job he did turning it around this season and the good feeling he’s created around the club.

Saying that, I do think he’s tactically very negative and he put out very odd teams in almost every important game. Just as examples, he persisted with Erhahon for far too long at left back, favoured the absolutely shite Nazon over Cooke and was always too keen to hook Danny Mullen. Our lack of shape in midfield has been terrible all though the season and never got any better even when we got a few results.

His main strength has been in signing some excellent players in difficult circumstances but I’d be curious to know how much of that’s been down to the backroom team. I’m more annoyed about the shambolic timing than actually losing Kearney tbh.

3 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I do like Kearney and you can’t underestimate the job he did turning it around this season and the good feeling he’s created around the club.

Saying that, I do think he’s tactically very negative and he put out very odd teams in almost every important game. Just as examples, he persisted with Erhahon for far too long at left back, favoured the absolutely shite Nazon over Cooke and was always too keen to hook Danny Mullen. Our lack of shape in midfield has been terrible all though the season and never got any better even when we got a few results.

His main strength has been in signing some excellent players in difficult circumstances but I’d be curious to know how much of that’s been down to the backroom team. I’m more annoyed about the shambolic timing than actually losing Kearney tbh.

Yeah, my thoughts too. I like him a lot and I did want him to stay as he felt like a good fit, but I don't feel like I did last summer when Ross went. 

Thanks OK for stepping in, mopping up Stubbs’ mess, and performing a minor miracle in keeping us up. Having been overlooked in favour of Stubbs the first time, OK never seemed to hold a grudge, or simply tell St Mirren to do one.

That’s me said my piece, so here’s my next piece. I was totally gutted when Sir Grumpy Nuts left us after I grew up watching Fergie’s Furies. I was disappointed when Jack Ross left us. I don’t feel too bothered about you leaving, but I am equally not bothered if it is your fault, Gordon Scott’s fault, Tony Fitzpatrick’s fault, or Paisley Panda’s fault.

I’ve been here since 1976, have seen a ton of managers come and go, some good, some bad, some meh, and one great. Many fans have been here a lot longer than me. We’ll all be here long after the next guy (who will be appointed soon) has gone too.

So, thanks for your very short stint here, bye, bye.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

It's Welease Woddewick.

Stop quoting Python wrong!!!

Cut me some slack. I’m in mourning. We lost our manager.... hold on, we lose them every close season....

Weeeeleaseeee Wodddewickkkk!

Edited by pozbaird

What an absolute clusterfuck this has turned into. If Kearney wanted back to being a part time manager and PE teacher then his heart was obviously never in it in the first place. Was never that impressed anyway truth be told. Few decent January signings saved our ass this year - not Kearney.