The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Livi rinsed by a convicted drug dealer masquerading as an assistant manager. 

And still finished above you, yikes :D An assistant manager with literally no footballing history guiding us to 12 points extra and cigars oot before the split. 

Your only excuse was Stubbs, who lasted just about as long as we had Kenny Miller, so even that doesn't pass for much

Edited by ATLIS

I thought Kearney wanted to have a crack at full time management because if he didn’t, he might well go through life thinking ‘what if’.... well, he had a crack at it, and his stock had certainly risen in the brief time he was here. The perception was that this unknown bloke had come into the deep end and performed something of a miracle from where we were. He had the chance to get a proper pre-season in, get his own stamp completely on our team, and have a crack at full time management properly - not merely fighting Stubbs-fuelled fires.

One more season. If he did well, took us forward, who knows what sort of club could come looking for him? Jack Ross did OK for himself, so could Kearney. Which brings me to my point - if Kearney wanted a crack at full time management to avoid thinking ‘what if’, then his career path, if successful, would surely require a move from Northern Ireland at some point. If he’d been sniffed out by another, bigger, English club who could pay him serious wedge, like a Sunderland, would he be commuting back and forth to them? I doubt it. So why not breathe deeply and strap himself in for this coming season? This was his crack at it. It’s what he wanted. 

Frankly, I don’t know why he applied for our job. I don’t know why he accepted it the second time. One must assume he wanted to be a success, to make full time management a life changer for him and his family, so where did he think it would take him?

48 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I thought Kearney wanted to have a crack at full time management because if he didn’t, he might well go through life thinking ‘what if’.... well, he had a crack at it, and his stock had certainly risen in the brief time he was here. The perception was that this unknown bloke had come into the deep end and performed something of a miracle from where we were. He had the chance to get a proper pre-season in, get his own stamp completely on our team, and have a crack at full time management properly - not merely fighting Stubbs-fuelled fires.

One more season. If he did well, took us forward, who knows what sort of club could come looking for him? Jack Ross did OK for himself, so could Kearney. Which brings me to my point - if Kearney wanted a crack at full time management to avoid thinking ‘what if’, then his career path, if successful, would surely require a move from Northern Ireland at some point. If he’d been sniffed out by another, bigger, English club who could pay him serious wedge, like a Sunderland, would he be commuting back and forth to them? I doubt it. So why not breathe deeply and strap himself in for this coming season? This was his crack at it. It’s what he wanted. 

Frankly, I don’t know why he applied for our job. I don’t know why he accepted it the second time. One must assume he wanted to be a success, to make full time management a life changer for him and his family, so where did he think it would take him?

Fair points. I suppose you never know until you give it a go. Maybe he thought he could make it work, maybe his wife/kids thought they might like to move to Scotland then changed their minds.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Having spent the weekend booking a trip to Belgrade i can assure you it's certainly not boring!

Jeeze, that's a long time to book flights and a hotel.

Try the internet - it can really speed such things up.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Pished breeks confirmed if Killie now fail in Wales.

I'm not one to make silly predictions (like those on here who had St Mirren miles ahead of Killie pre season) but there is zero chance of us losing over two legs to that mob!

41 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'd like to be the first to congratulate and wish Kenny Miller all the best in his player manager role at St Mirren. 

Could do worse, Neil McCann and Jim McIntyre spring to mind.

11 hours ago, ATLIS said:

And still finished above you, yikes :D An assistant manager with literally no footballing history guiding us to 12 points extra and cigars oot before the split. 

Your only excuse was Stubbs, who lasted just about as long as we had Kenny Miller, so even that doesn't pass for much

Did someone rain on your inferiority complex ? I couldn’t give two fucks about Livingston and where you finished last season. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

European trips take a bit of planning, especially during peak holiday times.

Not that you'd know lads.

Aye it's not as if any of us have booked a European trip during peak holiday times.:lol: