The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Dean Lyness any good? Local journo reporting he is about to sign for us.

I had assumed the goalkeeper we signed would be back up to Robbie Thomson but I thought Lyness was decent for you? Can’t imagine him signing to be back up in League 1.

3 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Dean Lyness any good? Local journo reporting he is about to sign for us.

I had assumed the goalkeeper we signed would be back up to Robbie Thomson but I thought Lyness was decent for you? Can’t imagine him signing to be back up in League 1.

If Lyness signed he will be your no. 1. I would say he was good enough for the Premiership and looked better than Danny Rogers

4 minutes ago, Make Saints Great Again said:

If Lyness signed he will be your no. 1. I would say he was good enough for the Premiership and looked better than Danny Rogers

Would half agree.

He’s better than Rogers but don’t think he’s top league quality. Probably backed up by the fact Hearts, Aberdeen and the Jonnies all had him on trial and passed.

I reckon Championship is his level.

Just now, grumswall said:

Rogers always looked a good 'keeper when he was at Falkirk so if Lyness is rated better than him by yourselves I'm happy to have him signing. Why has he not been kept though?

I suppose Kearney thought he could bring someone better in. Time will tell if Hladky is better.

Lyness only played a few games for us but he looked pretty competent in all of them. He'd be a good signing for Raith.

I suppose Kearney thought he could bring someone better in. Time will tell if Hladky is better.
Lyness only played a few games for us but he looked pretty competent in all of them. He'd be a good signing for Raith.
Fingers crossed it works out for all party's.

26 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Rogers always looked a good 'keeper when he was at Falkirk so if Lyness is rated better than him by yourselves I'm happy to have him signing. Why has he not been kept though?

I don’t know what has happened between his time at Falkirk where he looked good and being with us where he was as poor a keeper as I’ve seen for a long time. 

When he was fit both Samson and Lyness were getting picked ahead of him. 

Lyness looked ok for us unless Hladky is good I’m disappointed to lose him. Story’s doing the rounds that we haven’t been able to send Rogers back otherwise we would have. 

53 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I don’t know what has happened between his time at Falkirk where he looked good and being with us where he was as poor a keeper as I’ve seen for a long time. 

When he was fit both Samson and Lyness were getting picked ahead of him. 

Lyness looked ok for us unless Hladky is good I’m disappointed to lose him. Story’s doing the rounds that we haven’t been able to send Rogers back otherwise we would have. 

There was a story in the paper about a year ago that Rogers had some condition affecting his eyes.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stubbs signed a goalie who couldn't see very well.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

We approached Hladky when Samson left and Rogers was playing. Unfortunately Rogers is not very good and Lyness got a game where he was excellent. Problem was we by then offered Hlladky a contract and Aberdeen wouldn't take Rogers back. And since we dont need 3 keepers unfortunately Lyness is the one that had to go. Excellent keeper - you have won a watch.

What do we still need then? A striker, a winger and a leftback are an absolute must. Ideally I'd like two strikers and wingers but I'm greedy.

Also, don't know if anyone has noticed but in his unveiling pics our new signing is wearing glasses. That's hilarious! Perhaps those folk who still get excited when a female physio runs onto the park should focus their razor sharp wit on him?

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

What do we still need then? A striker, a winger and a leftback are an absolute must. Ideally I'd like two strikers and wingers but I'm greedy.

Also, don't know if anyone has noticed but in his unveiling pics our new signing is wearing glasses. That's hilarious! Perhaps those folk who still get excited when a female physio runs onto the park should focus their razor sharp wit on him?

Conor McGregor wears glasses too I bet that's dangerous when he gets punched in the face can't believe UFC allows it rofl!

Bb90WkB.jpg

22 hours ago, Hendo said:

There was a story in the paper about a year ago that Rogers had some condition affecting his eyes.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stubbs signed a goalie who couldn't see very well.

The same condition Stubbs had when scouting for players, probably the optician will get a cut in the deal

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cardiff striker Ibrahim Meite on trial according to The Sun.

I struggle to put into word how underwhelming that sounds.

22 years old, been on loan at League two level and not scored goals. Fucking hell, why are we wasting our time with this level of jobber?