The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

There are always surprises with players that can or can't step up a level. I remember when we were promoted, Saints had a wee bit of a job getting Gary Irvine to sign on again amid interest from England and he only signed for a year, with the expectation being he'd be down south after a year in the SPL. 

To the surprise of most, he just never looked up to the standard required. We had other good players from the title-winning squad in the same boat, yet others like Liam Craig and Chris Millar thrived at a higher level. 

Have there been guys that you do feel have adapted well to the Premiership? 

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

There are always surprises with players that can or can't step up a level. I remember when we were promoted, Saints had a wee bit of a job getting Gary Irvine to sign on again amid interest from England and he only signed for a year, with the expectation being he'd be down south after a year in the SPL. 

To the surprise of most, he just never looked up to the standard required. We had other good players from the title-winning squad in the same boat, yet others like Liam Craig and Chris Millar thrived at a higher level. 

There's hardly any of the squad still here! Stephen McGinn and Jack Baird are the only regulars from last season who are playing this season. Magennis and Mullen would both have played more if they were fit. McGinn has done ok, had a few decent games. Baird hasn't been our worst performer by any stretch but, put it this way, there won't be a queue of Premiership teams wanting to sign him if he was to leave.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Magennis has adapted really well as most of us expected he would but he's taken two bad knocks already this season so only played maybe 8 games.

Jack Baird will have a career at this level, he's solid enough.

Stephen McGinn is coming onto a game these last 4 weeks or so but before that was very hit and miss amid rumours of carrying a knock.

Apart from that? Not really much left to pick from. Guys who were very much on the fringes last season like Cammy MacPherson and Ethan Erhahon have had more decent games than bad games but both are still only 18 and 17 respectively and have been all over the team in terms of position. 

Edited by djchapsticks

9 hours ago, Radford said:

Unlike some compatriots I think Steven McGinn is easily a Premiership player. I reckon he has been extremely frustrated at the dross playing along side him (our midfield has been shit)  making it difficult to play his own game as he spends most of his time mopping up for others. Give him some decent team-mates and he will shine.

Sammy was Premiership class for us although others club supporters may have their doubts. Lyness has also looked very decent in the few games he has played since Sammy left but looks like he is off as his good displays have attracted attention and he is out of contract.

Magennis is top class and Paul McGinn has never let us down. Bairdy can be decent but sometimes has a lapse that costs us. Hammill was also decent but he's away.  Ferdinand reads a game brilliantly but is pretty slow but could hack it for the rest of the season if he stays.

Two young guys have been doing very well Ethan Erhahon and Cammy MacPherson and should develop into decent players, especially Ethan. Both are still teenagers.

We actually signed two players on loan who have a decent pedigree in the Premiership - Edwards from Hearts and Hodson from Sevco - and they have been very disappointing and personally I would send both back as they offer very little to the team.

So at the moment we only have McGinn x 2, Magennis (injured), Baird and two young boys Erhahon and MacPherson - just enough for a five-a-side team (out of a squad of 28 only a couple of weeks ago)! Grim stuff.

Edited by NorthBank

Just now, glenburn bud said:

The Sun on twitter ( I apologise) has a story that Celtic have knocked back a loan bid from Saints for Anthony Ralston.

Don't know why we'd need another right back, McGinn is perfectly decent there. It's a left back we need.

Expect some transfer news inbound over the next day or so. 

I trust the work behind the scenes by Gus and co has us in a position to bring in strong additions to replace the already departed. The club have taken a different approach on how we identify and approach players coming in since Stubbs left. Remember, the last window was such a disaster that the club want to make sure we are doing things correctly this time round.

KTF

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Don't know why we'd need another right back, McGinn is perfectly decent there. It's a left back we need.

We don't really have any cover there if McGinn gets injured though. I don't think OK fancies Hodson as a full back.   I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next loanee out the door.

3 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

We don't really have any cover there if McGinn gets injured though. I don't think OK fancies Hodson as a full back.   I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next loanee out the door.

Hodson has played 18 games for us since arriving, every game he was eligible to play by my reckoning - my flabber will be gasted if he leaves.

53 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Expect some transfer news inbound over the next day or so. 

I trust the work behind the scenes by Gus and co has us in a position to bring in strong additions to replace the already departed. The club have taken a different approach on how we identify and approach players coming in since Stubbs left. Remember, the last window was such a disaster that the club want to make sure we are doing things correctly this time round.

KTF

Statistics correct ? Oran has said as much this much we know. We also know Saints are the second lowest salary payers in the League.  Players play for £'s  not the badge so unless we have found gems from lower leagues  it won't happen that is our reality. A signing was to take place on Friday it fell through how many times has that happend ?  Hope I'm wrong I fear the worst. 

Alfie Jones away back to Southampton now as well. 

Did the signing on Friday actually fall through or has it possibly just been held up. Not seen McG or Div ( the 2 who are genuinely ITK)  actually say the deals now off. 

58 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Statistics correct ? Oran has said as much this much we know. We also know Saints are the second lowest salary payers in the League.  Players play for £'s  not the badge so unless we have found gems from lower leagues  it won't happen that is our reality. A signing was to take place on Friday it fell through how many times has that happend ?  Hope I'm wrong I fear the worst. 

I'm remaining confident all will be fine. 

The chairman has came out publicly and said he would back the manager. I still reckon there could be at least another 5-6 players out, that's including Kpekawa and King. That would allow OK to work with a squad of his new signings plus the existing players to a more manageable 21/22 players, which was the plan all along.