The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I really liked Willock at St Johnstone and was envious when you lot snapped him up. What happened here?

Tbf, he only played well for us against Dundee and the 5-1 game against Motherwell. 

I don’t understand St Mirren’s league position at all.

Was it not the Saints fans who told us in July that “there isn’t much between St Mirren and Kilmarnock”?

Don’t understand why you guys are so far behind.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Was it not the Saints fans who told us in July that “there isn’t much between St Mirren and Kilmarnock”?

I wouldn’t fancy walking the 25 miles but it’s hardly Paisley to Aberdeen. :P

11 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

You are being harsh on both. They both give 100% at all times. Thought Hodson was excellent today

Agree on Hodson. He's at least presentable as a footballer. 

Edwards is an abberation though. The epitome of all effort and no ability. 

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

We're just giving you a start

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

His effort alone has merited his selection at times this season. He’s absolutely of “limited ability”, but has done us a job a number of times this season.

I’d be happy for him to go in January but he’s not in the same bracket as the likes of King, Kpekawa & Heaton, who haven’t even bothered their arses.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Aye fair enough on Hodson, maybe a bit OTT from me.

Edwards though - he may work hard and put himself about but he's not great when he's got the ball.

Edited by Stu

3 hours ago, RossC93 said:

His effort alone has merited his selection at times this season. He’s absolutely of “limited ability”, but has done us a job a number of times this season.

I’d be happy for him to go in January but he’s not in the same bracket as the likes of King, Kpekawa & Heaton, who haven’t even bothered their arses.

The problem is, though, that his decent enough turn of pace (no whippet or anything but certainly not a slouch either) and workrate means he frequently finds himself in positions to be able to drive at players and really hurt opposing defences. And it's never happened.

No goals scored, no assists in his time here. His decision making is at best questionable and at worst, completely void of any sort of logic. He does not have a good range of passing, he can't beat a man....I'd be extremely interested to see his stats regarding dribbles completed in a Saints shirt and completed passes in the opposition third. I'd wager both are exceptionally low.

My issue with him is just that - he's got bags of effort but is incredibly frustrating to watch. Yeah, he's had a couple of decent games (and really, it's only been a couple) and his workrate has been the main contributing factor in that. I don't think there's ever been a game I've came away from and thought he made any real difference. I know he's had his role shifted about quite a bit but in the position he's mainly asked to play in, you really have to have some sort of stats to back up your selection week-in, week-out.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The problem is, though, that his decent enough turn of pace (no whippet or anything but certainly not a slouch either) and workrate means he frequently finds himself in positions to be able to drive at players and really hurt opposing defences. And it's never happened.

No goals scored, no assists in his time here. His decision making is at best questionable and at worst, completely void of any sort of logic. He does not have a good range of passing, he can't beat a man....I'd be extremely interested to see his stats regarding dribbles completed in a Saints shirt and completed passes in the opposition third. I'd wager both are exceptionally low.

My issue with him is just that - he's got bags of effort but is incredibly frustrating to watch. Yeah, he's had a couple of decent games (and really, it's only been a couple) and his workrate has been the main contributing factor in that. I don't think there's ever been a game I've came away from and thought he made any real difference. I know he's had his role shifted about quite a bit but in the position he's mainly asked to play in, you really have to have some sort of stats to back up your selection week-in, week-out.

So why is he in the team most weeks ? Maybe you need to give Oran a wee call.

25 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

So why is he in the team most weeks ? Maybe you need to give Oran a wee call.

I dare say because we currently have no one fit or available with the energy or running that he does. That being said, I want a smart worker rather than a hard worker. 

Why on earth would I need to give the St Mirren manager a call? Because I don't rate someone who plays every week? That's my opinion but instead of being baseless opinion, I've backed it up with facts. No goals, no assists, and very few (if any) chances created. 

If I give him a call about Ryan Edwards, maybe you should give the club a call regarding Junior Mendes given your mad diatribe a few weeks back that a sports scientist role is nothing more than to tell players to run faster and eat less and that we're wasting £60k ( :lol: ) a year on him. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, geo87 said:

Do we only have Ferdinand contracted until Jan?

2 hours ago, RossC93 said:

End of the season. 

According to our official website.

Not according to Ferdinand and Oran Kearney, though....his contract's up in January.

Let the fucking panicking commence.