The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Firstly, Easton’s goal was undoubtedly a “hopeful hit from outside the box”, total fluke (not that I’m bitter). 

What do you think Easton was aiming to do as he struck the ball?

That's right he did EXACTLY what he was trying to do. Great technique rather than fluke imo.

2 hours ago, McG said:

Expect another signing in today or tomorrow.

You know, this kind of comment use to get me really excited.

But the signings have been by and large underwhelming. 

And that no doubt is why our performances have been by and large underwhelming. 

Still got to keep the faith and hope in the next 11 days we can somehow pull together a squad that gives us a chance in this league.

6 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Still got to keep the faith and hope in the next 11 days we can somehow pull together a squad that gives us a chance in this league.

If it's Hodson prepare to be underwhelmed 

7 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I believe we have made some decent signings so far, the manager’s tactics have been very questionable though with certain players getting played out of position.

Im still scratching my head at us trying to play that diamond midfield against Aberdeen when they have wingers like Mackay Steven in there team, played right into there hands.

I hope Stubbs can sort things out, the less said about Darren Jackson the better.

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I would still prefer natural width, but Hodson surely a decent signing? Experienced in Scottish leagues which is what some posters have been crying out for! 

Yeah, though I'm not sure fullback was top of anyone's priority list. Unless he's being brought in to push Coulson forward*.

*This is a move I'm wary of. Football is littered with failed experiments to move attack-minded fullbacks into midfield. We tried it with Stelios recently, and it didn't work. England once played with Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge in the same team. Didn't work.

6 minutes ago, Silvio said:

If it's Hodson prepare to be underwhelmed 

Not sure what sort of calibre of player you are expecting us to bring in mate but I think a wee reality check might be in order for some of our fans.

This boy has played at a decent level and has been capped at international level a number of times and he is still on only 27.

4 minutes ago, McG said:

I believe we have made some decent signings so far, the manager’s tactics have been very questionable though with certain players getting played out of position.

Im still scratching my head at us trying to play that diamond midfield against Aberdeen when they have wingers like Mackay Steven in there team, played right into there hands.

I hope Stubbs can sort things out, the less said about Darren Jackson the better.

Agree about the signings, some really good quality in there, though i thought we would be better building our team around our best performers who Stubbs inherited, with the likes of Cammy Smith off the striker as an example. It seems as it stands, we have a few problems in defence that they are trying to rectify, though we are actually just as weak up top if we don't play to our strengths with the players at our disposal.

Is this definitely a loan? Looked at the SPFL rulebook and you can only have one player over 23 on loan at a time. By the definition in the rulebook, Danny Rogers is over 23. Hodson would be a second.

8 minutes ago, McG said:

Not sure what sort of calibre of player you are expecting us to bring in mate but I think a wee reality check might be in order for some of our fans.

This boy has played at a decent level and has been capped at international level a number of times and he is still on only 27.

Listen, I have no delusions of grandeur - I'm expecting a tough season. Suppose I'm basing my reaction off the comments from Rangers fans both online and who I know. All the ones I know are absolutely pishing themselves about it.

However, perhaps I am being too hasty so I'll give him a chance.

Just frustrating we are signing a full back after watching Liam Smith sign for Ayr last week.

I agree not going in for Smith was disappointing, and while I'm less that enamoured by Hodson, he is an experienced player and someone who is definitely a full back.

Coulson is not, and I get that after Stellios people will be wary of the "don't worry he just needs to be pushed forward to get the best out of him" when it clearly wasn't the case. We are playing Smith there just now and while he certainly provides a cutting edge you feel he is wasted a little being played out wide.

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is this definitely a loan? Looked at the SPFL rulebook and you can only have one player over 23 on loan at a time. By the definition in the rulebook, Danny Rogers is over 23. Hodson would be a second.

Rodgers would still be counted as 23 for this season based on the age cut off isn't he?

26 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Rodgers would still be counted as 23 for this season based on the age cut off isn't he?

Nah, I was sad earlier and looked at the rulebook - it's under 23 at the end of December. He was already 23 by then. No exception for goalies either.

So is it a loan then, or a permanent deal. He's free to go as far as I'm aware but I doubt Rangers will let him go for nothing, especially as he'll have at least a season of Rangers wages to earn. We certainly won't be paying what they are.

Or have we made idiots of ourselves and not properly checked out the rulebook resulting in a quick climbdown and another target identified.

I'd like us to give the below a try. Get the ball on the deck and play between the lines a bit.

Mullen

Smith

McGinn               Magennis

Hodson                                 Jones                                           McGinn

Kpekwa Baird Heaton

Samson

33 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So is it a loan then, or a permanent deal. He's free to go as far as I'm aware but I doubt Rangers will let him go for nothing, especially as he'll have at least a season of Rangers wages to earn. We certainly won't be paying what they are.

His contract expires with us at the end of this season and it is a loan deal by all accounts.

He is better at right back than left back but I'll still be glad when he's gone.