The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Stubbs has underestimated just how difficult it is to attract quality to a team like St.mirren, was a lot easlier for him at Hibs with there budget.

He should still be able to sign players good enough for Scotland's top division.  Maybe he should be looking at the market up here instead of the lowest English leagues.  My worry is the one's on show against Spartans struggled.  whether it was attitude or something else i don't know but it wasnt good to watch 

3 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Would love Stokes to be off the radar, but knowing him he'll be kicked out of the club within 6 months and we'll be discussing him coming to us in the January window - the debate then will centre purely on where we are in the league at the time.

How about before this transfer window closes? I'd be amazed if Stokes is in Iran for more than a few months.

17 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

How about before this transfer window closes? I'd be amazed if Stokes is in Iran for more than a few months.

That would be the most diddy thing ever.

Stubbs loses out to Stokes because he couldn't be fucked travelling, then he loses him because he doesn't have the cash, he then goes "all in" when Stokes is papped out of Iran for something "Stokesian" and we end up spending all our budget on a man who is not capable of keeping the club in the league, and even if he was he'd be injured or banned and unable to play anyway. Quickly followed by some toys going out of the pram and a "mutual consent". Shortly after Stubbs walks because he feels he's not being backed in the transfer market.

I really, really hope that isn't the way things shake out, but honestly.... I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, yes, surprised, no.

2 hours ago, McG said:

Stubbs has underestimated just how difficult it is to attract quality to a team like St.mirren, was a lot easlier for him at Hibs with there budget.

Quite why Stubbs would have underestimated that is a mystery to me. He’s been in Scottish football as a player and manager. He will be perfectly aware of our place in the food chain. He must have been aware that we are somewhere below five or so clubs, and on a par with five or so others. He was interviewed. GLS and Fitzy will have given him the budget and talked to him. Rice and Jackson know Scottish football and St Mirren. Stubbs has spoken at length apparently with Jack Ross.

If, and I say if, Stubbs has underestimated the difficulty of getting players here, then he frankly needs a slap in the ashet.

I don’t think he has. I think he has been labouring under the impression that four or five deals were more or less done deals, and were happening. I then think he’s opened his gob and gabbed about it.... then, right in front of his eyes, it’s all gone Ian Harte. It’s also possible he gabbed because he believed a John McGinn windfall was coming his way. Again, if this possible windfall prompted the talk of signings and excitement, let’s make it two ashet slaps.

St Mirren fans have been here before. Until we see the player wearing a Saints shirt, standing in front of the big club crest logo, and Norrie Jamieson put it up on the club website, we believed nothing. If Stubbs simply gabbed with absolutely nothing signed, sealed and delivered, then I’ll quite happily administer the required slap in the ashet if he now starts running around like a demented rabbit in the headlights seeking more kids, loanees and non-league unknowns. The signings so far all deserve a chance, and I’ll give every one of them a chance, but before we get to the Dundee game, by Christ, we need the four or five, and the couple of ‘exciting’ ones we’ve been hearing about.

Edited by pozbaird

23 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

That's exactly my point, some players were treating it as a friendly. It was in no way, shape or form a friendly and that for me is what's so frustrating. I can fully understand a team needing to gel and taking time to work as a unit. I can't tolerate players not being up for competitive games. I couldn't care less if it was Spartans or Barcelona, the players can't be excused giving 100% every game and I'm pretty confident that's what Stubbs would of said to them. From his interview and pitch manner, same goes for our Captain. 

The players treated the Thistle game last season as a friendly then went on to win the title. It's what teams do when they don't have time to prepare properly.

The passing was very lazy IMO. Night and day between Friday and Tuesday, for me it just confirms they didn't approach the game with the determination I would expect. 

You're right, but the players had the motivation of proving they were good with to compete against a good Premiership outfit. Tuesday was kick up the arse, just as the Thistle game was last season.

I agree players need a reality check sometimes and that'll be why Stubbs shouldered some of the blame in his interview. He should of been making it completely clear he demands 100% focus. 

I would generally say as well, no disrespect to Spartans but those professional footballers should of been able to meet on Monday and still win comfortably, given the gulf in teams. I'm willing to draw a line under it and hope they pick up in the next competitive game but I assure them, fans won't tolerate that level of drive for long. 

It's still preseason, like it or not. Players need a kick up the arse, which they got. They'll be glad you're willing to draw a line under it. Sensible fans know it's early days and know things will improve on terms of application, tempo and desire. 

A repeat on Tuesday and I'll be a little worried, but I'm not expecting a repeat.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

It's still preseason, like it or not. Players need a kick up the arse, which they got. They'll be glad you're willing to draw a line under it. Sensible fans know it's early days and know things will improve on terms of application, tempo and desire. 

A repeat on Tuesday and I'll be a little worried, but I'm not expecting a repeat.

Re thistle game. Just because we do it once doesn't mean we'll do it again. It isn't an excuse for lack of effort. I hope you're right it's the kick up the arse but no one can deny drawing with a non-league side is a concern. 

Sensible fans will also be aware that there is zero tolerance for not giving 100% effort in any competitive game, regardless of what time of year it is. To stress, I'm not saying the world will end after the performance but we have a right to be frustrated. 

the draw a line under it comment was meant as a collective. As you've eluded to you'll be more concerned if it happens again Tuesday. I don't see fans being very patient if it becomes a trend.

On a seperate note, Stubbsy is playing a risky game with so many new signings and telling players like Mac, McShane and Eck they can go. Great if it works out but if it goes wrong, I don't think a lot of fans will give him a lot of time. 

15 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Don't feel any need to worry just yet I'm confident Stubbs will bring in the right players and the squad will be ready for August the 4th. 

Sensible fans aren't worried on the basis of a game that is basically preseason. :thumsup2

The fact that we look as though we're short of quality up front is worth further consideration though 

Edited by Soctty

16 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Re thistle game. Just because we do it once doesn't mean we'll do it again. It isn't an excuse for lack of effort. I hope you're right it's the kick up the arse but no one can deny drawing with a non-league side is a concern. 

Sensible fans will also be aware that there is zero tolerance for not giving 100% effort in any competitive game, regardless of what time of year it is. To stress, I'm not saying the world will end after the performance but we have a right to be frustrated. 

the draw a line under it comment was meant as a collective. As you've eluded to you'll be more concerned if it happens again Tuesday. I don't see fans being very patient if it becomes a trend.

On a seperate note, Stubbsy is playing a risky game with so many new signings and telling players like Mac, McShane and Eck they can go. Great if it works out but if it goes wrong, I don't think a lot of fans will give him a lot of time. 

I've literally denied it, so yes they can.

Fans will be as patient as they like, regardless of your thoughts. I think he'll get plenty of time and would be concerned if he didn't. 

Can’t see anything other than a comfortable win for Sunderland tbh. There’s to be an unofficial minutes applause for young Saints fan Ben Thomson who tragically died in a drowning incident the other day. This will happen in the 14th minute to signify his his young age.

20 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Can’t see anything other than a comfortable win for Sunderland tbh. There’s to be an unofficial minutes applause for young Saints fan Ben Thomson who tragically died in a drowning incident the other day. This will happen in the 14th minute to signify his his young age.

We pumped them 2-0 in Portugal. Pressure's on. 

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

A victory for the Saints on the sausage sandwhich game today. Stubbs is doing a fine job.

While I wouldn't have wanted Danny Baker to suffer from his cancer diagnosis, he is an odious fat wee English p***k though.

As for the sausage sandwich game, it's a bogey in Scotland as they refuse to allow lorne sausage as a derivation.

46 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

If Ross really wanted to help us out, he could put in a fly £5m bid for McGinn, then pull out of it once it had forced Celtic's hand.

You feel a friendly will not go well for us, but who knows, maybe we'll Killie it rather than Spartan it.

0-4 with 15 mins left. 

The lack of basic ability in the 2nd half has been worrying at best. 

We need 5 quality players in ASAP. Knickerwetting or not, this squad will struggle to see us anywhere other than comfortably in 12th.