The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

41 minutes ago, McG said:

We will be waiting a wee while before anymore signings I think...

That will cause panic and nickerwetting by the usual moaners. At least it should  put the Stokes deal to bed. Just hope these deals can be done if not we will be scrambling for the crumbs. 

1 hour ago, Paul Cicero said:

Stokes will score more goals than entire team when he signs and add creativity and cody cooke  will hopefully be out the door before xmas !

Bit harsh on him given we've hardly seen him play. Surely it's better to say 'hopefully he improves and turns into a player than say 'Hopefully he's out the door' 

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Main problem I think is the new players don't look any better than the ones we no longer have. We really missed Davis and Morgan last night.

Any team at our level would miss Morgan tbf, he was a terrific talent and could unlock defences. Not sure about Davis, although he'd have been a good option. 

I've seen nothing so far to indicate that Stubbs was wrong with any of the players he's let go to be fair.

9 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Ffs Paul, Cooke has been at the club for a couple of weeks. Get a grip. Once fully fit and playing in a settled team, you can judge him.

Garbage if Cooke was even 70% fit he should have had a field day against that shite as it was he contributed hee haw and never even tested the keeper rabbit in headlights or James Marwood springs to mind  . . . 

Edited by Paul Cicero

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

From non league English football to the Scottish Premiership is a bit of a Jump in standard, some of these guys like Cook and Kellerman will need game time and a chance to see if they are capable of adjusting. 

League games are where they will stand or fall.

Tbf, there are a few gems to be had from the English non leagues..... we picked up Alan Power from Lincoln City last closed season, he took a few weeks to settle but ended up winning our POTY.

2 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Tbf, there are a few gems to be had from the English non leagues..... we picked up Alan Power from Lincoln City last closed season, he took a few weeks to settle but ended up winning our POTY.

This is it. The players were shocking as a collective last night. I'm happy to let these guys adjust to the pace and expectations. Cooke and Kellerman are getting it the hardest from the fans as they didn't show anything last night. Doesn't mean there's not something there once they are settled. 

39 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

For the record King looks pish anaw and Heaton the big Cole lad looks solid though.

King looked decent on Friday, I thought. 

My suspicion is that you can get away with dropping any one of these guys into an established side and they'll be fine, but four or five at once is too much.

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

King looked decent on Friday, I thought. 

My suspicion is that you can get away with dropping any one of these guys into an established side and they'll be fine, but four or five at once is too much.

Exactly.

These are players who are adapting to a step up in the level of football that they're used to playing.

There's no way on earth that Stubbs' squad on the first day of the season is going to include any more that a couple of these players at most.

The likes of Cooke, Heaton and Kellerman will take time to adjust. Sadly, it looks like many of our fans simply don't have the patience for this.

Maybe if we do make some more "established" signings the abject panic will subside somewhat.

Edited by FTOF

Our problem is that we are integrating a lot of new players, with a new manager, new assistant and new first team coach. In the past, this would happen through numerous preseason friendlies before any competitive match was played. Players would get the benefit of the doubt, managers would make 10 or 11 subs per match and we'd ease new players into the team.

The current format of the League Cup - and more importantly the timing of it - removes that luxury, with fans frothing at the mouth over what are basically preseason friendlies.

Saturday will be our only preseason friendly, and we've already played two competitive games. Expect us to be better against Queens Park next midweek, better still against Dumbarton and as ready as we can be for the league opener.

4 hours ago, Soctty said:

Our problem is that we are integrating a lot of new players, with a new manager, new assistant and new first team coach. In the past, this would happen through numerous preseason friendlies before any competitive match was played. Players would get the benefit of the doubt, managers would make 10 or 11 subs per match and we'd ease new players into the team.

The current format of the League Cup - and more importantly the timing of it - removes that luxury, with fans frothing at the mouth over what are basically preseason friendlies.

Saturday will be our only preseason friendly, and we've already played two competitive games. Expect us to be better against Queens Park next midweek, better still against Dumbarton and as ready as we can be for the league opener.

I think the problem on Tuesday was a massive lack of determination and effort, not integration. I was very disappointed in the attitude to the game by a number of our players. Could see it in the lazy passing. Seen it when Spartans put the ball out due to an injured player at 1-0 and even after he was off the field, we still mucked about for close to a minute before taking the throw in. 

You could tell it was a lack of effort and determination when McGinn came on. Players changed almost instantly, was like yer Da catching you do something you shouldn't.

4 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

You could tell it was a lack of effort and determination when McGinn came on. Players changed almost instantly, was like yer Da catching you do something you shouldn't.

McGinn bollocking everyone after five minutes of that Dunfermline game at EEP will stay with me forever. What a guy :wub:

17 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

I think the problem on Tuesday was a massive lack of determination and effort, not integration. I was very disappointed in the attitude to the game by a number of our players. Could see it in the lazy passing. Seen it when Spartans put the ball out due to an injured player at 1-0 and even after he was off the field, we still mucked about for close to a minute before taking the throw in. 

It was a glorified friendly. Easier to get fired up against a team who were the form team in the league above for most of last season as there is a point to prove, but against non league opposition there would have been a few who thought it might be a bit of a stroll.

Regarding lazy passing, I saw it more as some passes just not coming off. Numerous times we looked like carving them open only for the final ball to just come up short. Players need time to get fitness and sharpness, but also to get a bit of rhythm in their play. All three were missing, which I'd expect to be present in droves come Saturday after the disappointment of Tuesday night.

McGinn demonstrated why he is so important to the club. Regardless of the goal he scored, he was getting torn into all of his teammates about the lack of intensity and tempo, as well as the other factors that were lacking. We need others to step up to the plate and show a similar degree of fire in their belly and will to win. Again, the level of opposition possibly lulled some into the false sense that they could coast by in first gear.

I saw similar in the 5-0 drubbing by Thistle last season at this point. Players sometimes need a reality check to get them working as hard as they should be early in the season, and without friendlies to play they need to be on it from the word go.

ETA: Integration was definitely also an issue - it couldn't fail to be with so much change in personnel on and off the pitch this summer.

Edited by Soctty

9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It was a glorified friendly. Easier to get fired up against a team who were the form team in the league above for most of last season as there is a point to prove, but against non league opposition there would have been a few who thought it might be a bit of a stroll.

Regarding lazy passing, I saw it more as some passes just not coming off. Numerous times we looked like carving them open only for the final ball to just come up short. Players need time to get fitness and sharpness, but also to get a bit of rhythm in their play. All three were missing, which I'd expect to be present in droves come Saturday after the disappointment of Tuesday night.

McGinn demonstrated why he is so important to the club. Regardless of the goal he scored, he was getting torn into all of his teammates about the lack of intensity and tempo, as well as the other factors that were lacking. We need others to step up to the plate and show a similar degree of fire in their belly and will to win. Again, the level of opposition possibly lulled some into the false sense that they could coast by in first gear.

I saw similar in the 5-0 drubbing by Thistle last season at this point. Players sometimes need a reality check to get them working as hard as they should be early in the season, and without friendlies to play they need to be on it from the word go.

ETA: Integration was definitely also an issue - it couldn't fail to be with so much change in personnel on and off the pitch this summer.

That's exactly my point, some players were treating it as a friendly. It was in no way, shape or form a friendly and that for me is what's so frustrating. I can fully understand a team needing to gel and taking time to work as a unit. I can't tolerate players not being up for competitive games. I couldn't care less if it was Spartans or Barcelona, the players can't be excused giving 100% every game and I'm pretty confident that's what Stubbs would of said to them. From his interview and pitch manner, same goes for our Captain. 

The passing was very lazy IMO. Night and day between Friday and Tuesday, for me it just confirms they didn't approach the game with the determination I would expect. 

I agree players need a reality check sometimes and that'll be why Stubbs shouldered some of the blame in his interview. He should of been making it completely clear he demands 100% focus. 

I would generally say as well, no disrespect to Spartans but those professional footballers should of been able to meet on Monday and still win comfortably, given the gulf in teams. I'm willing to draw a line under it and hope they pick up in the next competitive game but I assure them, fans won't tolerate that level of drive for long.