The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The Sun on twitter :whistlesays we are in for Johnston from Celtic Stokes and Lee Hodson from Rangers.......

That would be one of the nicest things that anyone's ever done for us, if it happens.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I would take all three. I know Stokes patched us but Stubbs takes no crap and will sort him out. 

Hodson is an interesting one, he’s been told by Gerrard that he won’t be in his plans, so is free to find another club.

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think that's shaping up pretty well, tbh. Growing talk of interest from south of the border, which can only bump up the price.

It may come down to Meatball's personal ambitions. Not sure if any of his family have Celtic links - surely it would have been mentioned by now if they had :lol: - but he's obviously keen on moving there. The biggest danger is him sitting tight and waiting for a big fat PCA.

His grandfather was a Celtic director

I wouldn’t bother about @RandomGuy. he’ll soon be back at school and we’ll get peace

I can see the logic in stubbs wanting hodson, he'd offer cover to both full back positions and I dont imagine he'd demand to high a wage.

Johnson is a no brainer, if he's available and willing to come then sign him up.

Stokes is without a doubt a risk given what's happened at his last few clubs but if he turns up in the right state of mind he'd undoubtedly score a good few goals. 

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If there is any truth in the Stokes rumour,  at least they're saying it's a short term deal in the offering. It would be madness to give him any longer than 6 months. 

The most St Mirreny thing possible at this point would be sign him on a short deal, watch him bang them in for six months then f**k off to a rival in January :lol:

Agreed, though, it'd be insanity to give him longer.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The most St Mirreny thing possible at this point would be sign him on a short deal, watch him bang them in for six months then f**k off to a rival in January :lol:

Agreed, though, it'd be insanity to give him longer.

Even then, if it's a 6 month deal it makes me think that Stubbs wouldn't be pinning our hopes on him. Even if we do sign those three, I'd still want another target man style forward and an attacking midfielder in. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Even then, if it's a 6 month deal it makes me think that Stubbs wouldn't be pinning our hopes on him. Even if we do sign those three, I'd still want another target man style forward and an attacking midfielder in. 

I think we need two centre halves as well, if Gary Mack is away. Unless we think Kpekawa is going to play there all the time. I think he looked good at CH, but you could tell it wasn't totally natural to him.

Here's the squad as it stands (players in italics are likely to be moving on, either transferred or on loan):

GK: Samson, Rodgers

Fullbacks: McGinn, Kpekawa (possibly also a CH), Coulson, Eckersley

CH: Baird, Mackenzie, Heaton

Central/holding midfielders: McGinn, Flynn, Magennis, McShane, MacPherson

Attacking/wide midfielders-cum-forward players who aren't quite strikers: Smith, King, Kellerman, Kirkpatrick*

Strikers: Mullen, Cooke, Stewart

Have I missed anyone? That leaves us looking very thin at CH, possibly at FB, and definitely in players operating behind the striker.

* I actually thought Kirkpatrick was ok on Friday night, though he did lack composure a couple of times. I am just assuming he'd be going back to Alloa, but if he's impressed, then great.

Several people have commented about some link between Johnston and the McGinn deal. I simply do not see how that can be the case. We have a deal with Hibs, if Hibs sell the player we get 1/3 of the money. It's got nothing to do with Celtic what we get from Hibs, only Hibs can determine the money we get based on what fee they accept.

As for Stokes, a 6 month deal is 6 months too long. If that is the deal being suggested then really what is the point? Stubbs clearly can't trust him to either screw the nut or is worried about an injury, why take that gamble, why throw away the good he's generated by trying to bring in a player generally disliked by the fan base?

Edited by Buddist Monk

30 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Several people have commented about some link between Johnston and the McGinn deal. I simply do not see how that can be the case. We have a deal with Hibs, if Hibs sell the player we get 1/3 of the money. It's got nothing to do with Celtic what we get from Hibs, only Hibs can determine the money we get based on what fee they accept.

As for Stokes, a 6 month deal is 6 months too long. If that is the deal being suggested then really what is the point? Stubbs clearly can't trust him to either screw the nut or is worried about an injury, why take that gamble, why throw away the good he's generated by trying to bring in a player generally disliked by the fan base?

Disliked ? If he comes in and does the business we should all be delighted , and BTW if Stubbs "clearly can't trust him" then Stubbs wouldn't be trying to get him in  , would he ? :blink:

42 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

What is our deal with hibs got to do with Celtic offering a player as part of the deal albeit it on loan.  whatever money they get we'll get our cut of the profit that being a 1/3

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think we need two centre halves as well, if Gary Mack is away. Unless we think Kpekawa is going to play there all the time. I think he looked good at CH, but you could tell it wasn't totally natural to him.

Here's the squad as it stands (players in italics are likely to be moving on, either transferred or on loan):

GK: Samson, Rodgers

Fullbacks: McGinn, Kpekawa (possibly also a CH), Coulson, Eckersley

CH: Baird, Mackenzie, Heaton

Central/holding midfielders: McGinn, Flynn, Magennis, McShane, MacPherson

Attacking/wide midfielders-cum-forward players who aren't quite strikers: Smith, King, Kellerman, Kirkpatrick*

Strikers: Mullen, Cooke, Stewart

Have I missed anyone? That leaves us looking very thin at CH, possibly at FB, and definitely in players operating behind the striker.

* I actually thought Kirkpatrick was ok on Friday night, though he did lack composure a couple of times. I am just assuming he'd be going back to Alloa, but if he's impressed, then great.

I believe Kpekawa is here as a Centre Half. After the game he said he was lucky if he was 70% fit and very rusty as he hadn't played for months and we should expect to see a big improvement.

EDIT TO ADD PART OF AN INTERVIEW AFTER THE GAME:

"I think right now I'm only probably, I would say, 70% fit, maybe even less. When I'm fully fit I can be way more athletic than I showed today.

"I'm a ball playing centre half, I want to play, I want to keep clean sheets as well. I just want to do well really and help the team as much as I can and push on in this league."

Edited by NorthBank

Just now, NorthBank said:

I believe Kpekawa is here as a Centre Half. After the game he said he was lucky if he was 70% fit and very rusty as he hadn't played for months and we should expect to see a big improvement.

If that’s him 70% fit then we’ve got a player on our hands then.