The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd imagine it'd tend to be Aberdeen's form against 'the rest' that might scupper any realistic title challenge - ie dropped points here and there against the middle order. Therefore you could imagine Celtic not wanting to strengthen them against those teams. Then again, Cellic may see Sevco as their main challengers this season, in which case it'd make sense to help strengthen Aberdeen.

The best solution, of course, is to loan some decent players to St Mirren and help us take points from both of the above :thumsup2

I might be wrong, but I thought last season, it was Aberdeen’s inability to do anything in games against Celtic, and maybe the Sevco too, that really scuppered any serious title challenge. Maybe my memory playing tricks, but outwith games against the uglies, I thought Aberdeen’s results against the diddies stood up pretty well.

No matter, my concern is neither Aberdeen nor the ugly sisters, but our mega-exciting, sphincter-loosening, hard-on inducing marquee signings.... gie’s one!

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Mikey Johnstone would be an excellent loan signing for us.

Couldn't give a f**k whether he's classed as a "marquee" signing or not.

As a Celtic fan I think loaning Johnston to St. Mirren would be best for all parties.  The lad has a ton of promise and a ton of pace but isn't quite ready to push other wingers for a regular starting place.  A season in the Premiership where he will get regular first team action would be perfect for him at this stage in his career

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Rooney and Ryan Christie on loan being touted on Twitter.

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Cummings and Adam Armstrong :lol: at least a few seasons dossing about the second tier hadn't dampened the utter delusions of St Mirren fans. 

A welcome return. 

It continues :lol:

From what I can see two random folk have said on Twitter that Christie might join us. These days that seems to be enough for folk to believe it.

Disappointed me suggesting Armstrong on here hasn't made the papers.

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Latest rumour on black&white army is that Partick have accepted a bid for Doolan :unsure2: and that Ross Stewart is going in part exchange plus cash.

If this happens then Surely Doolan would be a squad player.

What age is he ?

Very good player. Just turned 53 I think.

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Latest rumour on black&white army is that Partick have accepted a bid for Doolan :unsure2: and that Ross Stewart is going in part exchange plus cash.

If this happens then Surely Doolan would be a squad player.

What age is he ?

Odd one that. That'd be two players from a relegated side last season (happy as I am with McGinn). As you say, hopefully a squad player.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Odd one that. That'd be two players from a relegated side last season (happy as I am with McGinn). As you say, hopefully a squad player.

It’s a strange one indeed, would it be fair to assume that his best days are behind him, or would he still be capable of scoring enough goals at this level if he’s fit.

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s a strange one indeed, would it be fair to assume that his best days are behind him, or would he still be capable of scoring enough goals at this level if he’s fit.

Assuming we are going to line up in a 4-3-3 as we did on Friday, and we sign this 'exciting' striker, and we keep Mullen, you'd assume Doolan would be third choice for the central striker slot, and we've already got Cooke, too. I'm simply not sure we'd need him.

(Then again, I wonder if we'll shift to more of a 4-2-3-1 just to get the best out the players we've got - I liked the look of King so him, Smith, plus A.N. Other in the three behind the striker would be promising.) McGinn and Flynn at the base of midfield.