The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think people are getting at you because it's incredibly difficult to judge if someone is average when they come on for less than 10 minutes.

20 hours ago, FTOF said:

As DJ says, why not give him more than nine minutes before posting a negative comment on his abilities?

19 hours ago, Stu said:

I suppose judging Kellerman based on nine minutes is something of an improvement.

Come on lads, ffs, it's not like I was slating the guy, I just said he was a bit average, which he was. Within 9 minutes Kpekawa and Coulson looked like players with something about them - both looking pretty good. Kellerman came on late in the game when everyone else was tired and didn't stand out in any way.

Did I say he was terrible? No, however that seems to be the way people have taken the comment. I just said he looked average, that's all, yet it's somehow that is enough for people to take one sentence out of a positive post and claim I am somehow slaughtering the team.

Do people think I am some sort of exile from B&WA who just posts negative nonsense? It's quite the opposite, I am generally quite optimistic about the team. Not a happy clapper but some distance from a knicker wetter.

:unsure:

19 hours ago, Stu said:

One of the reasons you got that response last season was you passed comment on Dale Hilson when he wasn't even playing.

That really isn't the reason at all. However for those wondering what that was about, I mistook Kirkpatrick and Hilson, two players who had just signed and playing their first games and two players who look similar. Kirkpatrick came on late, on the far side against Stranraer, and I said it was Hilson. A fairly simple mistake especially as there was no tannoy to announce who it was and where they were playing I couldn't see the name on the back of the shirt.

It didn't change the fact that at the time people were giving it "you are too negative" chat, yet a few games in and the same comments by others were taken with no negative feedback.

Edit: It's nice to see you have such a pachydermian memory of my posts though.. ;)

Edited by Buddist Monk

To flip this around from me defending my comments to something I think we will all agree on...

MacPherson... I did not know he had that in him. It's early in the season, and he'll get far harder tests than a pretty lackadaisical Killie team, but he was superb.

Sigh!

Seems that many others find your comment overly critical too.

Since you can't find it within yourself to admit your error of judgement, which says more about you than me, then here's what you should have posted:

"O.K. It seems I was a bit hasty on Kellerman based on his nine minutes on the pitch. I'll make a more informed opinion of him when he starts a game and gets a significant amount of game time."

There that was easy. :)

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

"O.K. It seems I was a bit hasty on Kellerman based on his nine minutes on the pitch. I'll make a more informed opinion of him when he starts a game and gets a significant amount of game time."

I’ll make a more informed opinion on Kellerman and indeed everyone else, once I’ve seen them from July to the January 2019 window. I hold my hands up and admit I was too quick to judge Jack Ross who had an awful start, so I’m not doing it this time if anyone looks to be struggling early on, certainly no-one struggled at Rugby Park. Everyone, from Stubbs to Rice, Kellerman to King, and anyone still to arrive, should be afforded a fair go. I didn’t do it with Jack Ross last time, and I was wrong, it turned out great. 

In regard to an overall general  opinion that seems to have come out of one game at Rugby Park - that being one of feeling encouraged by what we saw in one game. It’s a good feeling. It’s called feelgood factor... and we had it in spades when Joma Jack paraded the trophy in front of a sunny Simple Twenny Digital Twenny Wan Arena. Then someone took it away. To Sunderland, to Celtic, to the four winds. Ross let 11 go, more followed. Unknowns came in. Kids, lower league guys. Guys we never knew. Stubbs, Rice and Jackson all new. Untested, untried...no warm up after Bolton stood us up. The feelgood factor disappeared as quickly as Delle Alli does when he pulls on an England shirt.

It could have all gone terribly wrong at Rugby Park. The organisation, pace, gameplan - it was all there, from what looked like a half-assembled squad in a half-baked starting line up, without Kyle Magennis.

A wee bit of feelgood factor came back, why not enjoy it? Keep the heid’ folks, but fcuk it, let’s look forward now with far more enthusiasm that we might have had prior to kick off at Rugby Park. 

Edited by pozbaird

31 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Seems that many others find your comment overly critical too.

Which is a touch odd as there is nothing critical about it, hence my surprise, but there is nothing I can do about that.

31 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Since you can't find it within yourself to admit your error of judgement...

I would have had I felt there had been an error of judgement and I've been more than happy to correct the odd error in the past.

Do people think that I am somehow damning his entire St Mirren career from nigh on 10 minutes of his first appearance? He came on, he was average, that's all. Not up, not down.

Anyway, I am sure this is all far more tedious than needs be, so I'll just leave my last comment as this...

VrgXFSG.png

:) No harm, no foul, we all have opinions.

Edited by Buddist Monk

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Any clues as to who these marquee signings may be!?

I'm certainly not ITK, but you would expect that any "marquee" signings would be based on the money from the McGinn transfer.

I'd be interested to know what level Stubbs thinks a marquee signing is. He started off saying he's be looking to bring someone in, then it became someone exciting and now he's upped it to marquee. Based on the guys he's brought in; Kpekawa, Coulson and King all look very decent but they weren't heralded as marquee.

You'd hope marquee doesn't mean Stokes.

Edited by Buddist Monk

My definition of a marquee signing at St Mirren is that the player is the sort of player who would normally go to a bigger club than us, and earn bigger wages, but Stubbs has convinced them that this is the place for them. If Stubbs gets the deal over the line, we think ‘never thought they’d sign for us’.

As to who the actual player(s) are - haven’t a scooby. Interesting times ahead.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

My definition of a marquee signing at St Mirren is that the player is the sort of player who would normally go to a bigger club than us, and earn bigger wages, but Stubbs has convinced them that this is the place for them. If Stubbs gets the deal over the line, we think ‘never thought they’d sign for us’.

Yeah. 

For me, Marquee is someone who makes our own supporters go 'how have we managed to pull that one off?' and other fans take notice that he's a potentially cracking signing before a ball is kicked. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

39 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. 

For me, Marquee is someone who makes our own supporters go 'how have we managed to pull that one off?' and other fans take notice that he's a potentially cracking signing before a ball is kicked. 

Aren't these everyone's definitions of marquee signings?

Random name to throw out there but I would love it if it was Adam Armstrong from Newcastle. Clearly not going to make the grade there but I think he'd be fantastic up here - although that may be based mainly on his exploits for me in Football Manager.

It will probably be a young player from a biggish club down south that few folk have heard of - although such is the player hoarding at some clubs now that players that fit that bill these days are already internationalists!

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Well, yeah. But it's quite subjective. 

Some would see for example, Stokes as a marquee signing given his history and scoring record. 

I wouldn't say it was though due to his last couple of years meaning he's a train wreck. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Nope. A marquee signing for Real Madrid would be Mbappe. A marquee signing for Alloa might be a loanee from St Mirren. A marquee signing for Dundee might be any cnut daft enough to want to live in Dundee.

Jason Cummings and Adam Armstrong :lol: at least a few seasons dossing about the second tier hadn't dampened the utter delusions of St Mirren fans. 

A welcome return. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Cummings and Adam Armstrong :lol: at least a few seasons dossing about the second tier hadn't dampened the utter delusions of St Mirren fans. 

A welcome return. 

It’s only being utterly delusional that got us through Tommy Craig and Ian Murray’s reigns without calling on the services of the Samaritans. Cut us some slack FFS.