The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

First bid is really just a grouse beat to force the hands of anyone else who is interested.

We'll see another bid from them probably today or tomorrow, but by then they will know if they have any competition from down South.

Anything approaching £3m will get him IMO.

I'll come back to quote my previous reply as I am pretty sure that's what the deal will be.

However, don't you love football? Stubbs was the manager who "took" McGinn from us and here he is waiting for the potential windfall coming from that deal.

15 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Reilly off to Bristol Rovers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44698668

Genuinely hope he does well with them.  Always a good punt for first goal scorer when the Freddos were up for grabs.

Strange letting such a prolific finisher go after such a successful season.  Good luck to the lad.

From what I've seen of him on Twitter, Brizzle will suit him down to the ground.  :thumsup2

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

On paper thats a decent move, lets see in 12 months time if he'll regret not staying with us, look at Rory Loy as an example of that.

A big move for him regarding, both on the playing side and his personal circumstances. A big upheaval moving from Scotland to the south west of England, with a newly born child.

Hope it works out for him.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Cole Kpekawa ex QPR and Colchester Utd left sided defender will play as a trialist against Bolton on Saturday.

Don't know if he's any good but reading his wiki and it's quite impressive that he's only made 34 league appearances in his career but has played in English Premier League, Championship, League 1 and League 2.  In fact he managed to do this after only 12 professional appearances. 

Gary McKenzie, Adam Eckersley, Ross Stewart (Gk) and Ian McShane have all been told they are free to find another club. 

Interesting bit of clearing out from Stubbs. He clearly still feels that Eckersley let him down by being so injury prone in his Hibs spell and Gary Mac has not had his injury troubles to seek. 

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Cole Kpekawa ex QPR and Colchester Utd left sided defender will play as a trialist against Bolton on Saturday.

Ah, the mystery guy from the photo :lol:

He can strike a ball, tbf.

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gary McKenzie, Adam Eckersley, Ross Stewart (Gk) and Ian McShane have all been told they are free to find another club. 

Interesting that the other Ross Stewart isn't being chopped. Either Stubbs sees something in him (the fact he's seven feet tall, perhaps), or he's off to Alloa on loan for another season.

Edited by Coventry Saint

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I can see why McKenzie is being released, shame but understandable.

Eckersley might be injury but I have a feeling it's personal and that Stubbs doesn't like the player.

Stewart is a bit of a shame, as we've never seen if he can develop.

McShane is an odd one, he is more than capable of playing in the Premiership.

I can only presume that Stubbs has replacements lined up.

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

6'3"

He's a defender so they tend to be larger but it looks like we'll be a land of giants when the season gets under way - I have to say I'm not against that.

MacKenzie would get rings ran round him in this league, I thought Ross was maybe a bit too loyal in signing him for another season. As it stands he’s decent enough backup. It’s hard on him as he done us a turn over the past 18 months (before that he was crap). Leaves us short at the back and quite inexperienced.
McShane I can understand decent footballer but not good enough for this level and shirks a challenge.
Eckersley - I’d have kept him for the season even if Stubbs does plan to bring in another full back. He could a job.
Surprised Hippolyte isn’t on the list.

Really disappointed to see Eckersley going. I appreciate that he’s injury prone but he was brilliant last season and would do a good job in the Premiership. I think that leaves us with an entirely new defence apart from Baird.

Hate to be negative, but the mass upheaval and random signings from the English non-league is hard not to compare to Danny Lennon’s first season.