The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Kenny Miller is also 10 years older than him and his knee collapsed from trying to turn at Easter Road last season...

It was more that people seemed keen to dismiss Miller as definitely going to cause problems in the squad, yet that concern seems lessened with Stokes. I wasn't really aiming for a 'like for like' comparison.

FWIW, just hypothetically, if it was a 'like for like' I'm not sure which would end up scoring more goals for us. Miller has, as you say, injuries catching up with him. Stokes, I'd suggest would be missing for other reasons. You'd expect both to dip into the double figures over a season.

Edited by Buddist Monk

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

It was more that people seemed keen to dismiss Miller as definitely going to cause problems in the squad, yet that concern seems lessened with Stokes. I wasn't really aiming at a like for like comparison.

FWIW, and just hypothetically, and it was a like for like I'm not sure which would end up scoring more goals for us. Miller has, as you say, injuries catching up with him. Stokes, I'd suggest would be missing for other reasons. You'd expect both to dip into the double figures over a season.

Miller scored 3 league goals in 18 appearances last season and 5 in 23 overall. 

A year older and with a smaller club I'd be surprised if he hit double figures.

If Stubbs signs either or both of Stokes / Miller, then fine, welcome to St Mirren, hope you do well and become a bit of a cult hero who did us a turn. If Stubbs decides not to pursue interest in either player, then fine, on we go to A.N. other target.

Should either sign, then personally, clean slate, what can you do for US next season is all that concerns me.

16 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Just for any St Mirren stattos out there, the lad Jim Kellerman from Aldershot has a commonly given DOB of 10/11/97 online, I've seen that on the stmirren.info fansite too. However he was a 1st Year Pro (what they call down there a Scholar) at Wolves in 2011-12...

http://www.player.wolves.co.uk.p.preprod.performgroup.com/page/AcademyProfiles/0,,10307,00.html

He has to be about 3 years younger therefore, as a '97 birth would have been too young to sign pro (have to be 17 in England). The initial signing news gave him as being 23 and that would appear correct. Not seen the correct figure though for what it's worth, FM17 said 11/12/94! :lol:

Big weight off all of our minds, thanks for that.

38 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Big weight off all of our minds, thanks for that.

If you're a St Mirren statto, you might care. If you're not, you won't. I guess you're not, so you won't! Really don't know why you bothered to reply. May your next dump be an eye-watering one.

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

They'd be delighted to have us over.

I think it's Saints that need convincing.:lol:

I’m going on holiday to Spain this coming Thursday, our location is not a million miles away from C.D BORGONYA, so both my kids have said let’s do the visit and not bother telling my good lady.:lol:

Sunderland desperate for an £8m loan from outside investors to help pay their bills over the next month, with a further £9m expected to have to be paid by the end of the transfer window after a botched transfer a few years ago has been ruled against them. 

Jack Ross was an absolute fanny for joining them. 

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sunderland desperate for an £8m loan from outside investors to help pay their bills over the next month, with a further £9m expected to have to be paid by the end of the transfer window after a botched transfer a few years ago has been ruled against them. 

As a Newcastle United fan, I hope the Mackem shite suffer another relegation and/or a Sevco-esque financial event, no offence Jack.

As for him being a fanny for joining a basket case club? Not at all. His wages apparently are around £230,000 a year? Sweet work Jack. Also, from a playing perspective, they are likely as low as they will go. The only way is up IMHO, given the opposition in their division? If Jack gets them to the top of that division (as I think they should  be with Jack Ross, Donald Trump or Zippy fae’ Rainbow as manager), then Jack Ross looks like the hero. Big wages, big team playing much smaller opponents, big fanbase, more than decent chance of taking them back up? Hardly the actions of a fannybaws from Jack Ross. 

Only fly in the ointment would be them doing a Sevco. If they hirple through any off-the-field financial stuff, they’ll likely think the sun shines out of Jack Ross’ arse as he leads them back to the Championship. If he gets them there, then looking at their likely oppnents, including those dropping out of the land of milk and honey EPL, then I think they’ll be pretty much fcuked again.

League 2 for the Mackem shite please. That’s what I hope, but what I actually think is that he’ll get them up. If they don’t implode off the field.

Edited by pozbaird

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dont know where you have got thise figures from but you can hardly call him a fanny for joinhing them. Hes most likley got a wage several times his own. Very worst gets paid off a wedge and could easily then join a bigger scottish club than St.Mirren with no strings as getting binned by Sunderland seems to do little in they way of sullying your reputation these days, especially if you dont really have one in England.

Best case is he has joined a big club in England in a lower league with new owners and can now start seeing about a promotion charge to the championship and above. 

I dont see how he can lose to be honest.

Edited by gannonball

Worst case scenario is he makes a fortune from the pay off but is constantly and forever associated with being the guy who couldn't get Sunderland out of League One and barely gets a chance of a job there again. I'm not convinced he'll be happy to muddle about up here for the next forty years because he made a lot of money early in his career. 

Sunderland aren't even close to being the type of team who can walk that league regardless of manager. Folk have been claiming disrespectful stuff like that numerous times with the likes of Coventry and Portsmouth over the years. The gap between League One and Championship is huge aswell, so even if he does get them promoted he'll struggle 

Edited by RandomGuy.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Christ do you just thrive on negativity RG ? Give the guy a chance.