The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Maybe St Mirren knew they were talking without permission but rather than step in and have them ask, they wait until the deal is almost done then ring Sunderland dry for extra compo for not following the rules.

The comments of the St Mirren chairman do seem like that is the case.

Or could it not simply be the case that Ross's agent is doing everything for him and then passing the info on to him if he's on holiday.  Its not as if Sunderlands new owners don't know how football works so I'd be surprised if they were doing something this bluntly.

Edited by Shodwall cat

17 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

I will hang fire on this until the full story comes out,but if Jack Ross and his agent were negotiating with Sunderland without the common courtesy to inform Gordon Scott (as it would appear from Gordons comments) then i will be absolutely disgusted.

Jack Ross is his agent 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's funny, your board who appointed Ian Murray didn't deem it necessary to give a call of courtesy to our Chairman when you wanted Ian Murray. You spoke with him unofficially and once the deal was done the official approach was made. No tears from me, he'd have gone anyway, but it's funny that you're disgusted with such actions.

Some might call it karma, eh @Div?

I think the six months that followed were karma enough, thank you.

Managers and players talk to other clubs all the time, it’s a business at the end of the day. It’s only fans who remain loyal to clubs, managers and players come and go. I’ve got no issue with Jack Ross leaving for a bigger gig down south as he’s earned it. The man has done a magnificent job with Saints and I’ll always be grateful for the work he’s done.

We move on and quickly appoint his successor, hopefully Robbie Neilsen.

Glad Ross has gone. 

Just wish he had fecked off sooner. 

Before he gave Samson that disgrace of an enhanced contact. 

Ross's compensation of 50 grand should cover Samson's wages for the next 2 years. 

Or maybe the new Manager will use the money to pay the duff goalie off. 

Or 

Ross might purchase him for Sunderland 

Shambles :lol:

I'd hope not! Far too early for Goodwin. If it was anyone else with similar managerial career stats with a similar sized club nobody would be entertaining the suggestion.
You mean like, erm Jack Ross?

Glad this has been sorted out, now we have the whole summer to sort out a replacement, look forward to the compensation (and possibly an extra whack not to report them for tapping up) and the money from the McGinn transfer. Combine that with the extra revenue from the top league with the club currently having first division budgets and we are looking pretty sweet.

Bit of a shame Ross has gone, but that's just football. Not sure if he's timed the Sunderland option right, we will need to wait and see, but it's fair to say he won't be out of pocket no matter what happens.

Funnily enough though, in the Ross chasing statistics, Sunderland seems to be more of a dodgy club than Dundee. Not a statement I'd expected to have written.

Some interesting quotes:

Sky Sports...

Spoiler

Sunderland are paying St Mirren £50,000 in compensation for their manager, and are believed to have offered Ross five times what he is being paid in Scotland.

Gordon Scott...

Spoiler

"been no contact from Sunderland".

"Jack is on holiday. So unless there is some major skullduggery going on then it's nonsense."

"To hold talks with Jack, we would have to grant permission, but we've had no contact from Sunderland at all."

This should be fun. 50K is laughable you would looking at least 4 or 5 times that value and as he's under contract to us that is entirely reasonable, so I'm guessing Sky have probably asked Sunderland how much they are going to pay when they finally get round to asking us and they threw out a derisory figure.

Of course, there could be something in Ross' contract that allows for him to move for nominal compensation if "a bigger club" comes in. Even if that is the case could you argue that a club languishing 3 levels below their top division be considered "a bigger club" than on that is in the top division in another country. While we all know the sensible answer is "yes, it's fucking Sunderland of course it's bigger", legally though that is a tough one to get past a judge.

Why is Jack Ross so desperate to leave St Mirren?
He is a man that has never made any secret of his ambition.

Desperate might be the correct word though once you realise Sunderland are in the mix. Sevcoesque shambles of a club.