The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

50 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

End of August optimistically seems to be the general view.It is superb to see him back,just pray he stays injury free when he becomes available to play.Now all we need

are two creative midfielders,a new goalie and two free scoring forwards and i think we could have a great season.

So nearly a full new team and you'll be ready to go?

Can I ask, what joy do you get out of absolutely hating the team you support?

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

So nearly a full new team and you'll be ready to go?

Can I ask, what joy do you get out of absolutely hating the team you support?

He's a fucking mentalist. Had he said we need a forward - two if Sutton goes - he'd have been about right. 

Instead he stomps about the forum telling all and sundry how bad we have it. 

I fucking love Harry Davis.
That is all.

Don't know much about this guy other than he appears to have spent much of his career playing for his father at Crewe and appears to be latterly injury prone.

However the general consensus here appears to be that he's a great signing. Why so much optimism?

End of August optimistically seems to be the general view.It is superb to see him back,just pray he stays injury free when he becomes available to play.Now all we need
are two creative midfielders,a new goalie and two free scoring forwards and i think we could have a great season.

At least you're not asking for too much.

A centre forward that can play as a lone striker and we'll have a reasonably well balanced squad. Nothing hugely exciting but also nothing that will be causing huge concern either.

A season that doesn't include a Relegation Express bonanza would be nice, even a wee flirt with the promotion places. Also if McG could provide another successful signing tip off that'd be smashing [emoji57]

13 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

I absolutely love St Mirren,attended my first game in 1977 and had the sickness ever since,i dont need to justify myself to anyone in that regard.The only problem i have is that i take the words of the chairman and manager 

at face value.If promotion is the aim this season then sign four or five players to at least make a realistic attempt at it.I know i should get aboard the happy bus and join

the other clowns in predicting a top four finish ,its not going to happen,we are going to finish the season 6th at best

Bookmarked L.P. or TopCat not many others go about with a big cross over the shoulder. 2 signings are unbound would think it's a striker and midfielder one could be before Saturday. That's all that's needed to compete for top four mate.  

13 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Of course he gets a chance,i would love him to bag us 20 goals.Why is it always us giving strikers a chance ? There are at least six first division teams with 

proven goalscorers leading the line this season,promotion contenders St Mirren are giving a guy a "chance" If it wasnt so pathetic it would be amusing

Is there? Falkirk with Loy, Dundee Utd with McDonald, Dunfermline with Clark and QotS with Dobbie all have proven goalscorers. Baird at ICT is grouped in to a bracket of guys who have done it in the past but probably won't be the same player they were a few years back, much same sense that John Sutton was also very much a 'proven goalscorer' at this level. Aside from that, there's no team who has more a 'proven goalscorer' in this league than the four mentioned.

For the record, I agree. We need another centre forward. I'd enjoy someone like Brian Graham or Chris Kane coming in on loan and even in spite of his shoddy performance on Saturday, I still wouldn't even be averse to see Andy Ryan in the stripes.

The hand-wringing that comes from you is absolutely pathetic at times, though. Aside from Mallan (who is a our biggest loss but very possibly replaceable with the excellent talent of Magennis) and Loy (again, was good last season but by no means irreplaceable), you honestly don't think the squad is only one or two decent signings from being in a better overall shape than last season?

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Is there? Falkirk with Loy, Dundee Utd with McDonald, Dunfermline with Clark and QotS with Dobbie all have proven goalscorers. Baird at ICT is grouped in to a bracket of guys who have done it in the past but probably won't be the same player they were a few years back, much same sense that John Sutton was also very much a 'proven goalscorer' at this level. Aside from that, there's no team who has more a 'proven goalscorer' in this league than the four mentioned.

For the record, I agree. We need another centre forward. I'd enjoy someone like Brian Graham or Chris Kane coming in on loan and even in spite of his shoddy performance on Saturday, I still wouldn't even be averse to see Andy Ryan in the stripes.

The hand-wringing that comes from you is absolutely pathetic at times, though. Aside from Mallan (who is a our biggest loss but very possibly replaceable with the excellent talent of Magennis) and Loy (again, was good last season but by no means irreplaceable), you honestly don't think the squad is only one or two decent signings from being in a better overall shape than last season?

Its Lord look at me from black & white army doing what he does best, trolling the f**k out of his own support. At least the likes of Virgin ton does it to the opposition.

11 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Don't know much about this guy other than he appears to have spent much of his career playing for his father at Crewe and appears to be latterly injury prone.

However the general consensus here appears to be that he's a great signing. Why so much optimism?

He was a major factor in our turnaround from the brink last season when he came in in January. On paper at least, him and Mckenzie are the best CB pairing we've had in years.

14 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

He was a major factor in our turnaround from the brink last season when he came in in January. On paper at least, him and Mckenzie are the best CB pairing we've had in years.

Agreed. There was enough in 9 games to see that Davis was a fantastic reader of the game, good in the air in both boxes and was always assured looking. It's no coincidence that his arrival was the spur for Gary Mac to up his game too. The night he got injured was when we beat Dundee Utd 3-2. At the point of injury we were 1-0 up and absolutely cruising. As soon as he went off around the 35th minute, we looked all over the shop defensively. 

He brings that assuredness to the entire defence. He'll be a huge asset for us when he's fit. 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We've just signed Ellis Plummer who was apparently with you guys for a short while. What's the script with him? Any good?

Not really. IIRC we had two Man City lads at the same time. Neither had much of an impact, TBH. Plummer played a few times in one of our shittest ever teams and got sent home early. Go figure.

I literally can't remember the name of the other guy. Petite winger-cum-number-10, which are basically ten a penny in England.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We've just signed Ellis Plummer who was apparently with you guys for a short while. What's the script with him? Any good?

I thought he looked pretty decent but did a bad injury not send him back down South? He was only a young lad with us but read the game well and his passing was good but too young for the position and the responsibility.