The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Who is it, just out of interest?

It'll be Steven Maclean who's taken on that role as well as being assistant. As you'll see from our lackluster strikers and woeful finishing stats, it's clearly working.

6 minutes ago, ulysses said:

AD “Brophy has said he doesn’t want to be here anymore......it’s disappointing....so up to the clubs to agree a fee, otherwise he will be asked to continue training but won’t be playing or in squad......”

Training on his own ?

20 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

AD “Brophy has said he doesn’t want to be here anymore......it’s disappointing....so up to the clubs to agree a fee, otherwise he will be asked to continue training but won’t be playing or in squad......”

Training on his own ?

Given Accies' claim on a percentage of any fee, you'd have to say a swap deal represents the best value for your guys at this stage. Assuming it's Erwin, you'd at least get a player who will want to play and who will almost certainly score a few. The alternative - paying the lad to train on his own - seems a waste of time and money all round.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Given Accies' claim on a percentage of any fee, you'd have to say a swap deal represents the best value for your guys at this stage. Assuming it's Erwin, you'd at least get a player who will want to play and who will almost certainly score a few. The alternative - paying the lad to train on his own - seems a waste of time and money all round.

Are you sure about that?

Dyer in a press conference saying Brophy wants to leave Killie for St Mirren this January  [emoji4]

Not surprising, he’s our player now. I bet Killie don’t want him hanging around for the next five months when he doesn’t want to be there. I’m sure the clubs will come to a sensible arrangement.

21 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Are you sure about that?

He's scored two for us and has been in and out the team. I don't think it's crazy to imagine him scoring a further three this season with more time on the pitch.

Edit: he's played 18 games, of which he started 9. Admittedly, many of those starts were absolutely baffling to me. I'm not saying sub appearances don't count, but 2 from 9 starts isn't a terrible ratio.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Erwin and think he's mainly been an absolute carthorse for us. The embodiment of a no-trick pony. But I do stand by my point that he's a five-goal-a-season kind of guy.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

16 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Dyer in a press conference saying Brophy wants to leave Killie for St Mirren this January  :)

This indicates how unhappy he's been , for one reason or another, at Kilmarnock. Whether it's justified or not, it would be better for both parties to get it sorted quickly. It would allow Killie to free up a wage and us to get Brophy bedded in.

Contrast this to Kirk Broadfoot when he signed his pre-contract with the Blue bigots all these years ago. He was absolutely outstanding for us from January onwards and played a huge part in our survival. Although, based on more recent events, he's blotted his copy book somewhat.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

This indicates how unhappy he's been , for one reason or another, at Kilmarnock. Whether it's justified or not, it would be better for both parties to get it sorted quickly. It would allow Killie to free up a wage and us to get Brophy bedded in.

Contrast this to Kirk Broadfoot when he signed his pre-contract with the Blue bigots all these years ago. He was absolutely outstanding for us from January onwards and played a huge part in our survival. Although, based on more recent events, he's blotted his copy book somewhat.:rolleyes:

Broadfoot's conduct during his last 6 months is textbook and should be the template for all players on a PCA. He was guaranteed a start though and had been playing well, so it's not like he had baggage to contend with - other than where he was going, of course.

PCAs are a bit of a nightmare for all involved really, unless the player, manager and supporters are all very professional about things. That's not to say Brophy/Dyer/Killie fans aren't being here. Dyer is in a bit of a no-win situation in many ways especially if Brophy is the one that's put down his tools - and while it may not benefit us (should he stay will Killie until the Summer) you sort of want to see him continue to fight for his place in the team and play well, if only because that would show a maturity of character that you'd want to see in him when he does arrive at Greenhill Road.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting that Alex Dyer is saying Kilmarnock 'can't compete budget wise' with St. Mirren.

We have the 3rd or 4th smallest budget in the league.

There's a difference between saying you don't have the cash to compete with other clubs because of budgetary limitations, and not being able to compete because they've already spent that budget and can't stretch it further. ;) 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting that Alex Dyer is saying Kilmarnock 'can't compete budget wise' with St. Mirren.

We have the 3rd or 4th smallest budget in the league.

Callum Davidson made reference to "other Scottish clubs" "offering big pre-contracts" yesterday aswell, so presumably the chat amongst managers is that you've given Brophy a large wage.

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson made reference to "other Scottish clubs" "offering big pre-contracts" yesterday aswell, so presumably the chat amongst managers is that you've given Brophy a large wage.

Changed days eh?

When the likes of Nigel Hassebaink jumped ship to a club offering him significantly more money.

That the chat amongst the managers then too.:rolleyes: