The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

44 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I expected something like a suspended fine - and a warning to ALL clubs that from here on in, don't play the game, and it's a 3-0 forfeit.

Actually doling out 3-0 forfeits for a first offence is about as stern a warning as you can get.

I suppose the alternative was to set a dangerous precedent whereby every club gets a free hit - a bit like playing the joker in "It's a Knockout". 

We can mump and moan about the punishment all we like. End of the day we've made a rip roaring c**t of this with no one to blame but ourselves.

Whether the rules seem a bit ridiculous or not they were set out for a reason. And players car sharing? Ffs.

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The hiring of two H&S regulators after sanctions were brought we as clear and admission of guilt as you'd see.

We didn't have a position to defend from after that.

Regardless of people's feelings on severity of punishment, fairness etc., we've wronged and admitted being wrong so unfortunately we need to suck it up and get on with it. There's no point in appealing at this point, there is no way would they hand 3 x 3-0 wins out to clubs and then rescind that.

However, any future breaches need to be seriously looked at and investigated. The argument that a club are responsible for players breaching rules for players carsharing together off their work premises but not responsible for them going out to a pub together after work simply doesn't stack up for me. Either both are chargeable or neither are.

We admitted to breaches of the Covid protocols on the coach and at a pre-match meal! We also admitted our liability. Aberdeen players got together and went to the pub, FFS!

This is utterly infuriating. It would never be applied to the Old Firm. I'd absolutely love it if one of them cock up now.

5 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

We admitted to breaches of the Covid protocols on the coach and at a pre-match meal! We also admitted our liability. Aberdeen players got together and went to the pub, FFS!

This is utterly infuriating. It would never be applied to the Old Firm. I'd absolutely love it if one of them cock up now.

8 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Actually doling out 3-0 forfeits for a first offence is about as stern a warning as you can get.

I suppose the alternative was to set a dangerous precedent whereby every club gets a free hit - a bit like playing the joker in "It's a Knockout". 

They should have laid out the penalties at the start of the season.

People said this when Aberdeen and Celtic transgressed.

After that happened, they should have used THAT as a warning, and then set out the future stronger penalties.

They had two opportunities to warn clubs that the ultimate sanction would be used if you didn't fulfil a fixture. They didn't.

So to then do this the way they have seems excessively harsh.

And there's just no way the first club to be hit this way would have been Celtic or Rangers.

Edited by Bobby_F

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

They should have been forced to play the games behind closed doors.

With our fanbase, that's not a punishment.. ;)

6 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Sometimes you’ve just got to Take your medicine!

Of course, one upside about all this is that those over in Gorgie are still permaraging.

Edited by Ric

11 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

I mean, take a look back through the thread - that's exactly what most of us are doing but don't let that hinder you making an arse of yourself as per.

Hilarious to see that you're still not over it though, 4 or 5 months down the road. You're so angry you've highlighted a quote that wasn't even attributable to anyone at our club but said by the Ross County manager. :lol: 

Edited by djchapsticks

The club are bang to rights. I don’t think anyone is denying the club is in the the wrong.

The frustration is that there are no guidelines as to what punishments would be in place for breaches. That should have clearly been set out before a ball was kicked - that way no club could complain when hammered.

Match forefeits puts us on a slippery slope. They really need to outline why this was the conclusion reached and come out with formal protocols for future breaches.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

42 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

They appear to be taking it with far more grace that a certain other club and its fans did it would seem. One clubs fans have shown a bit of humility, another’s just came across as arrogant knobs.

Edited by Yorky

Usually the expression 'taking it well' on here is straight sarcasm, but I have to say the majority of Midden fans are taking this pretty well...

It's pretty straightforward: if protocols are in place, you breach them, and nobody gets Covid... you probably get away with it (and I'm sure a few clubs have). If you're unfortunate enough to have an outbreak, though, you're done.

Huge wake-up call for everybody.

Yes, the club really fucked up and, unluckily, were caught.  I think we all agree in being punished but I dont think other clubs should be benefiting from it.

The punishment was extremely severe. If the SPFL wanted to flex its puny wee muscles, then why not a 3 point deduction.? 

They have really set out their stall now. Let's what happens when it's not a couple of diddy clubs that get caught. 

7 minutes ago, Blaze said:

...then why not a 3 point deduction.?

A points deduction would have been worse imo. With a forfeiture it's only really Hamilton, of the clubs around us, who have benefited whereas us being docked points would have benefited Livi, County and St Johnstone as well.

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not doing very well out of this whole Covid thing are you lads?

While I get it's intended as a bit of light banter, it's not a great line considering the government have just announced that as a country we've passed the 60,000 deaths grim milestone.

Edited by Ric

Just now, Ric said:

A 3 point deduction would have been worse imo. With a forfeiture it's only really Hamilton, of the clubs around us, who have benefited whereas us being docked points would have benefited Livi, County and St Johnstone as well.

While I get it's intended as a bit of light banter, it's not a great line considering the government have just announced that as a country we've passed the 60,000 deaths grim milestone.

So you’ll not be commenting further on anything football related to do with Covid because of that I assume?

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

So you’ll not be commenting further on anything football related to do with Covid because of that I assume?

No, I just won't be making the joke that we're having "bad luck" due to a virus killing tens of thousands of people.

As I said, I took it as you trying a bit of light hearted banter and your somewhat defensive reply shows you know it was not in great taste too. So we're all good.