The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Got to say the more I think about this the more the financial penalty is pretty shitty.

In normal times, sure, but considering all clubs are at the mercy of Covid with little or no revenue streams coming in, hitting either club with a fine is pretty shocking considering the SPFL itself has delayed the payment they were due to hand out.

Edited by Ric

19 minutes ago, Munoz said:

What was the punishment of Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers? 

I'd go for something similar to that.

Tbf you've got a point.

Two of our players disregarding the rules, thankfully the club found out before they could mix with the squad. Only players punished. 

celtic playing a player who should have been in isolation.  Slap on the wrists.

Sheep players out on the bevvy, slap on the wrists.

The spfl aren't being very consistent here.

Got to say the more I think out this the more the financial penalty is pretty shitty.
In normal times, sure, but considering all clubs are at the mercy of Covid with little or no revenue streams coming in, hitting either club with a fine is pretty shocking considering the SPFL itself has delayed the payment they were due to hand out.

We also won't be bringing in any money from the PPV for those 2 games. I'm not sure how much that would be, but it's another indirect financial penalty.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Got to say the more I think out this the more the financial penalty is pretty shitty.

Is the fine not suspended though? We will only get the fine if we do it again.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
40 minutes ago, Munoz said:
We should be appealing against the severity of the punishment. 

Not sure you could award teams points then at a later date reverse that.

No team should be getting deducted points. A fine would have more that sufficed. 

Sorry, not a deduction- forfeit games.

Edited by Munoz

7 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
11 minutes ago, Ric said:

We also won't be bringing in any money from the PPV for those 2 games. I'm not sure how much that would be, but it's another indirect financial penalty.

This. And what about the 2 games that season ticket holders should be getting access to? Will that be offered back as a partial refund, or will we get offered a Scottish Cup game in exchange? Either way, a further potential financial penalty

Edited by dublin_bud
Spelling

Seriously did not expect this.  

3-0 awards for games in the group stages of the BetFred understandable as you can't really postpone those games.

3-0 awards in the league - with no prior indication that this was likely - a completely different thing.

I expected something like a suspended fine - and a warning to ALL clubs that from here on in, don't play the game, and it's a 3-0 forfeit.

The hiring of two H&S regulators after sanctions were brought we as clear and admission of guilt as you'd see.

We didn't have a position to defend from after that.

Regardless of people's feelings on severity of punishment, fairness etc., we've wronged and admitted being wrong so unfortunately we need to suck it up and get on with it. There's no point in appealing at this point, there is no way would they hand 3 x 3-0 wins out to clubs and then rescind that.

However, any future breaches need to be seriously looked at and investigated. The argument that a club are responsible for players breaching rules for players carsharing together off their work premises but not responsible for them going out to a pub together after work simply doesn't stack up for me. Either both are chargeable or neither are.

On a deeper level as well, someone or several people at the club need their positions seriously called into question here.

If the club admitted wrongdoing (which they have) then it's either wilful negligence to not only not put correct measures in place but to let players continue to car share and turn a blind eye.

If giving the benefit of the doubt and it's not wilfully been ignored then it's complete incompetence and is every bit as bad.

The buck has to stop somewhere and with someone - who that person or those people are, I've no idea but there needs to be a full enquiry and disciplinary action if need be. The decisions made here have cost the club a fortune, a chance at two matches that we very realistically could have taken something from and could be the difference in what league we end up in next season.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

On a deeper level as well, someone or several people at the club need their positions seriously called into question here.

If the club admitted wrongdoing (which they have) then it's either wilful negligence to not only not put correct measures in place but to let players continue to car share and turn a blind eye.

If giving the benefit of the doubt and it's not wilfully been ignored then it's complete incompetence and is every bit as bad.

The buck has to stop somewhere and with someone - who that person or those people are, I've no idea but there needs to be a full enquiry and disciplinary action if need be. The decisions made here have cost the club a fortune, a chance at two matches that we very realistically could have taken something from and could be the difference in what league we end up in next season.

Traditionally it used to stop at the top...

5 minutes ago, btb said:

Traditionally it used to stop at the top...

If that's the case so be it.

The admission of guilt was there for all to see when we hired two new people to set protocols in place AFTER being charged.

A clear case of the horse having already bolted.