The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, FTOF said:

Although, I get the feeling, that in amongst the euphoria of surviving the play off, he was elevated to a better player than he actually was.

Reading some of the comments, that is how I see it. Certainly a capable player, and should easily deal with the Championship. I'd take him back at the club, but he wouldn't start before either Shaughnessy or McCarthy (for me, at least).

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Alnwick and Lyness had to self-isolate for 10 days, the Utd game will be outwith that 10 day period so they should both be available.

They won't have been training though, ok they might have been doing some sort of circuits at home, assuming they had mild/no symptoms but it's not ideal to put them straight in against Utd. That said, nothing about this situation is ideal. 

As for Popescu, absolute cult hero material, will throw himself in front of everything and charge up the field when he gets the chance. I agree with FTOF though as I always felt there was a mistake in him. 

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

A good, solid player.

Although, I get the feeling, that in amongst the euphoria of surviving the play off, he was elevated to a better player than he actually was.

This. Would have happily taken him back, but his form dropped quite significantly when we hit the playoffs.

He did for us in the top league what Stelios did for us in the Championship - passionate player that lifted those around him and connected with fans.

23 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

I see on Twitter that there are calls for us to release a statement and ‘make a stand’ against Willie Collum and the SFA. Is this really the level we’re at now for f**k sake? We’re very very close to being aligned with the paranoid old firm fans and it’s utterly embarrassing. We’ve got one of the worst twitter fanbases in the Premiership and statements and calls to refuse to play games are only making us more of a laughing stock.

Some of the stuff grown men are posting is utterly cringeworthy. 

I'm pleased our fan base is passionate enough to protest against decisions that are clearly wrong. We've been hard done by recently, and we shouldn't just lube up our arsehole and bend over and spread our cheeks...

Edited by Ralstonite

I see Goodwin is in The Sun today (going on the BBC gossip page, not that I read the rag)..

Spoiler

_114393237_dfsaf.jpg

..personally I think he needs to stop bumping his gums. Now, as I say, I've not read it so perhaps it's from an interview given a few days ago, but our point has been made (as well as by others) and to continue on making the same claims lessens the impact. We don't want to be one of those clubs who endlessly whine to the press (OF, Hearts, etc).

He could, of course, be doing a Fergie "controlling the narrative" in the press. Talk about something else rather than focus the pressure on the players for the up coming game but I doubt it.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I see Goodwin is in The Sun today (going on the BBC gossip page, not that I read the rag)..

Reveal hidden contents

_114393237_dfsaf.jpg

..personally I think he needs to stop bumping his gums. Now, as I say, I've not read it so perhaps it's from an interview given a few days ago, but our point has been made (as well as by others) and to continue on making the same claims lessens the impact. We don't want to be one of those clubs who endlessly whine to the press (OF, Hearts, etc).

He could, of course, be doing a Fergie "controlling the narrative" in the press. Talk about something else rather than focus the pressure on the players for the up coming game but I doubt it.

Yeah, we need to leave it behind. When the news first came out at the back end of last week, I thought we were going for 'dignified slience' and I liked that. We accepted the misfortune and got on with it. Do our complaining in private if required. Continual whinging is all a little bit Heartsy. (No offence, great bunch of lads, thanks for the keeper, etc.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

It'll be from the pre-match press conference yesterday. It was always going to be the major - potentially only - talking point.

Fair point, I never thought about the pre-match interview.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

It'll be from the pre-match press conference yesterday. It was always going to be the major - potentially only - talking point.

True, but the fact remains he could have nipped it in the bud very easily. There is a chance he's doing it to take some pressure off the players. Bad result on Saturday, though I do believe 3-0 was very, very harsh. Let's keep focus on the perceived injustice until the Celtic game's out the way. Maybe.

40 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

True, but the fact remains he could have nipped it in the bud very easily. There is a chance he's doing it to take some pressure off the players. Bad result on Saturday, though I do believe 3-0 was very, very harsh. Let's keep focus on the perceived injustice until the Celtic game's out the way. Maybe.

I'd hoped Goodwin would use that to have the players fired up for the game against Hibs. Sadly not.