Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2021/22 thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I'm reading his Twitter page have you read his reply's ? All very strange if you have read them. 

I have read them, I've also heard whats going on with regards to this. I don't know if it's 100% true so won't pass further comment.

There is nothing really strange in there, he's said himself there is 'more to it' than just being frozen out or exiled and he himself can say no more. Take it as read.

Edited by djchapsticks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I have read them, I've also heard whats going on with regards to this. I don't know if it's 100% true so won't pass further comment.

There is nothing really strange in there, he's said himself there is 'more to it' than just being frozen out or exiled and he himself can say no more. Take it as read.

Fair enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:
4 hours ago, Drooper said:

So it would appear.

I would much prefer a more business savvy CEO, with TF as some kind of club ambassador.

Never sure what to make of GLS, to be honest.

Well, the Dundee United ‘spitting’ incident, and the Oran Kearney departure handling doesn’t say anything bar amateur hour.

Well I certainly can't claim to be ITK regarding anything so the following is simply my thoughts based on GLS as a businessman.  There is no doubt in  the business world he was / is very successful, however as a director in the clubs previous administration I have no idea how much; if any clout he carried, but for whatever reason, he did step up to the plate and take control. of the club whereas others didn't.   I would imagine early doors he would have been advised this or that would be the way to go and there would have been some time involved in finding his feet.............. shall we call that Rae time, which was not too successful.  Being a businessman he quickly discovered things were not progressing as he wished and so moved on to Ross time, fairly successful, but this is football and whilst it is a business it is not one that he can control the way he did with his building company and ........................ my thoughts are he is doing the best he can, he is a fan, he has input a lot of time energy and cash into the club and I venture to suggest that there are not very many of us (fans or otherwise) who could have done very much more; given the nature of football today.   As for TF?  He too is doing what he can ; you can't really ask more, he even bleeds black and white. 

Like I stated this is just my thoughts and observations on GLS, as a long standing supporter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jaybeee said:

Well I certainly can't claim to be ITK regarding anything so the following is simply my thoughts based on GLS as a businessman.  There is no doubt in  the business world he was / is very successful, however as a director in the clubs previous administration I have no idea how much; if any clout he carried, but for whatever reason, he did step up to the plate and take control. of the club whereas others didn't.   I would imagine early doors he would have been advised this or that would be the way to go and there would have been some time involved in finding his feet.............. shall we call that Rae time, which was not too successful.  Being a businessman he quickly discovered things were not progressing as he wished and so moved on to Ross time, fairly successful, but this is football and whilst it is a business it is not one that he can control the way he did with his building company and ........................ my thoughts are he is doing the best he can, he is a fan, he has input a lot of time energy and cash into the club and I venture to suggest that there are not very many of us (fans or otherwise) who could have done very much more; given the nature of football today.   As for TF?  He too is doing what he can ; you can't really ask more, he even bleeds black and white. 

Like I stated this is just my thoughts and observations on GLS, as a long standing supporter. 

Nice attempt at defence. You might be right, just guys doing their best but its the competency level that people are looking at.

The positives are that the crowds are up. Season ticket sales are up; transfer income is up; and the club is a division higher than it was when Gordon Scott took over. Those are all the positives.

The negatives are that the board under Gordon Scott have managed to aggravate and alienate sections of the support; the recruitment of players, coaches and managers looks panicked, frantic and desperate; and there's a trail of broken promises and half truths whether it's about regular monthly updates; a published strategy for growth; free tickets for athletes who beat the Chairman in the Paisley 10k; or the pledge to keep Old Firm fans out of the St Mirren end if sufficient season tickets were sold for the West Stand.  There is also the (valid) concern that the board may have blown large sums of club money buying out contracts and issuing non disclosure agreements. 

Many, like me, will look at the new regime with at least an element of disappointment. After the last board had tired there was a feeling of great optimism that the new regime would come in with loads of new ideas and innovations and that with fan ownership there would be a strong sense of community with the collective talents amongst the support being tapped. I'd love to see Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott succeed, but I'd also like to see them do so not just with short term success, but by putting a legacy in place that lifts the whole of the business to a new level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Nice attempt at defence. You might be right, just guys doing their best but its the competency level that people are looking at.

The positives are that the crowds are up. Season ticket sales are up; transfer income is up; and the club is a division higher than it was when Gordon Scott took over. Those are all the positives.

The negatives are that the board under Gordon Scott have managed to aggravate and alienate sections of the support; the recruitment of players, coaches and managers looks panicked, frantic and desperate; and there's a trail of broken promises and half truths whether it's about regular monthly updates; a published strategy for growth; free tickets for athletes who beat the Chairman in the Paisley 10k; or the pledge to keep Old Firm fans out of the St Mirren end if sufficient season tickets were sold for the West Stand.  There is also the (valid) concern that the board may have blown large sums of club money buying out contracts and issuing non disclosure agreements. 

Many, like me, will look at the new regime with at least an element of disappointment. After the last board had tired there was a feeling of great optimism that the new regime would come in with loads of new ideas and innovations and that with fan ownership there would be a strong sense of community with the collective talents amongst the support being tapped. I'd love to see Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott succeed, but I'd also like to see them do so not just with short term success, but by putting a legacy in place that lifts the whole of the business to a new level. 

Yeah I mean, we  pulled off a great escape,  won the championship, then dramatically survived in the premiership after being completely written off, crowds are massively up and we are selling more season tickets, but apart from that it's been shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah I mean, we  pulled off a great escape,  won the championship, then dramatically survived in the premiership after being completely written off, crowds are massively up and we are selling more season tickets, but apart from that it's been shit.

Absolutely. But what you fail to deal with is the fact that the "Great Escape" squad was widely tipped by fans everywhere to be play off place challengers at that start of that season. Instead the club went till mid December without a league win and finished in the clubs lowest position in over 40 years. Whilst last season the CEO was telling everyone, including prospective managers who ran a mile at his nonsense, that St Mirren's squad was good enough to finish top 4 to top 6! 

There are positives as I outlined but the negatives are just as clear and just as plentiful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Absolutely. But what you fail to deal with is the fact that the "Great Escape" squad was widely tipped by fans everywhere to be play off place challengers at that start of that season. Instead the club went till mid December without a league win and finished in the clubs lowest position in over 40 years. Whilst last season the CEO was telling everyone, including prospective managers who ran a mile at his nonsense, that St Mirren's squad was good enough to finish top 4 to top 6! 

There are positives as I outlined but the negatives are just as clear and just as plentiful. 

The problem you have are that the positives massively, massively outweigh the negatives, and the manager who assembled that "great escape" squad was swiftly punted and replaced by one who took us to the premiership. Yet another positive for Scott.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GAD said:

The problem you have are that the positives massively, massively outweigh the negatives, and the manager who assembled that "great escape" squad was swiftly punted and replaced by one who took us to the premiership. Yet another positive for Scott.

Why would that be a problem for me? 
The jury is out on Scott and Fitzpatrick because of the negatives. The annual accounts will show how much or how little of the John McGinn money was spent overhauling the squad yet again in January. We'll see if that goes in the positive or negative side when it happens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Whilst last season the CEO was telling everyone, including prospective managers who ran a mile at his nonsense, that St Mirren's squad was good enough to finish top 4 to top 6! 

At no point did he say that the St Mirren squad was good enough to finish top 4 or 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TQM said:

At no point did he say that the St Mirren squad was good enough to finish top 4 or 6.

In 2016 he said St Mirren would be Scottish Champions by 2019. Last year he said, and repeated often, that St Mirren were a "top 4 - top 6" club. This season he's repeated it again although this time he tempered it saying it would take some time to get there. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45476353

Edited by Malky3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Nice attempt at defence. You might be right, just guys doing their best but its the competency level that people are looking at.

The positives are that the crowds are up. Season ticket sales are up; transfer income is up; and the club is a division higher than it was when Gordon Scott took over. Those are all the positives.

The negatives are that the board under Gordon Scott have managed to aggravate and alienate sections of the support; the recruitment of players, coaches and managers looks panicked, frantic and desperate; and there's a trail of broken promises and half truths whether it's about regular monthly updates; a published strategy for growth; free tickets for athletes who beat the Chairman in the Paisley 10k; or the pledge to keep Old Firm fans out of the St Mirren end if sufficient season tickets were sold for the West Stand.  There is also the (valid) concern that the board may have blown large sums of club money buying out contracts and issuing non disclosure agreements. 

Many, like me, will look at the new regime with at least an element of disappointment. After the last board had tired there was a feeling of great optimism that the new regime would come in with loads of new ideas and innovations and that with fan ownership there would be a strong sense of community with the collective talents amongst the support being tapped. I'd love to see Tony Fitzpatrick and Gordon Scott succeed, but I'd also like to see them do so not just with short term success, but by putting a legacy in place that lifts the whole of the business to a new level. 

I quite clearly said this was my personal thoughts on how GLS is dealing with the club. given that he was new to running a club.  it was not an attempt to defend his position, he needs no defence as it is his club to do with as he thinks best.  

Glad to see you pointed out the positive aspects, considering he is new surely a well done for those.

This is where I have a problem ...................... the negatives, because they all pre-suppose that GLS is there to pander to all the supporters whims,  To be fair how can anyone run a club and not upset some section of the support.  The recruitment of players, coaches and managers may look panicked, frantic and desperate; or perhaps he is finding his way in unfamiliar territory.   And to be honest I am fed up of hearing of "broken promises and half truths" just how true are these? The  issue re the old firm fans has been explained several times, people might not like it, so what! it is his club, ergo his rules, which also extends by the way to how to spend income be it gate receipts or transfer monies.  Everybody has an opinion which is fair enough but those who put their money where their mouth is are GLS and SMISA and currently GLS is in charge, if people don't like it buy him out.  I am not a particular fan of GLS; I was just offering an opinion no more valid or less valid than others .................. simply my opinion.

Remembering the last board fills me with dread, they had done their best over the years and at times were unfairly slated IMO, however they clearly wanted out and we should be glad they at least resisted the likes of Reg Brierley (cant remember the name exactly but something along those lines) or we might not have a club and indeed they also fought to get approval to get planning on the old ground to sell it or again the club might not be here.  As for new ideas and innovations well they usually take mega money and GLS doesn't strike me as someone who would gamble with large sums of money speculatively.   I have my doubts re fans running the club but that's just my opinion and I really hope I am wrong and I wish whoever is in charge every success as I am sure do all buddies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...