The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Always a temptation to see JG as another Jack Ross but that isn't the case. A huge chunk of his success at Alloa was built on inheriting a terrific set of part-time players and top pros from Ross. Those players stuck with him during a very mixed first year when he made some baffling decisions and struggled with recruitment. Going back to what worked under Ross and adding the best loans possible then made Goody at Alloa. Questions remain over his recruitment (permanent rather than loans) and still has the odd brain fart (shrinking our park while sticking with the expansive passing style, resulting in us having a home pitch which didn't suit us at all), but he has learned and grown in stature. 

His great strengths are his leadership and the respect players have for him. He got the best out of people and they developed under him. He is an eloquent guy and can get his message across. A calm head too, despite his playing persona. Whatever the other weaknesses (and I do wonder about him inheriting a bit of a mess in comparison to what he had at Alloa), those strengths give him a good chance at succeeding. I doubted him for a good while at Alloa but he ended up doing really well for us and gave us some great times. Also appreciate him staying for a decent spell and not jumping ship to full time at the first opportunity. That's another sign of a clever head. Hope he continues to develop and makes a real success of this. 

Good post, good insight, cheers.

Re the bold bit, I don't actually think we're in as much of a mess as our boardroom-based fuckwittery makes it appear, though perhaps the next few weeks will confirm that either way. We have a solid basis of a squad that was reasonably competitive since February or so. 

Of the players we've lost, there's only a couple I'd desperately want back (McAllister and Muzek; I'm assuming Popescu is staying). We do need to start making some headway in the market, asap, and we urgently need to add some more quality around the edges. We've no left back, no wide players, and we need at least one more striker depending on what formation we're gonna play, but our defence and midfield are sound.

Fair play to the Alloa fans for the way they are taking this. If something like this had happened with us I'd be more than a bit miffed, and not just because it's the second time inside three years that we've pinched your manager.

Putting aside the ins and outs of the Kearney mess, we've booted him and replaced him with a manager who was in work in the space of a week. I'd be very surprised if we'd have binned Kearney if we hadn't at least had an inkling that Goodwin would take the job as we'd have looked even stupidier if he'd turned us down, so I'm guessing some sort of enquiries were made before we officially approached Alloa on Wednesday.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fair play to the Alloa fans for the way they are taking this. If something like this had happened with us I'd be more than a bit miffed, and not just because it's the second time inside three years that we've pinched your manager.

Putting aside the ins and outs of the Kearney mess, we've booted him and replaced him with a manager who was in work in the space of a week. I'd be very surprised if we'd have binned Kearney if we hadn't at least had an inkling that Goodwin would take the job as we'd have looked even stupidier if he'd turned us down, so I'm guessing some sort of enquiries were made before we officially approached Alloa on Wednesday.

You implying skulduggery has taken place? 😋

It was inevitable that Goody would go , so no big upset for our wee band of followers, I am glad he has went home to St mirren it is the best option of all that he had  for me

and wish him all the best.

will be looking at your results very closely this season coming , good luck hopefully get you in a cup game again ...

Good luck to Jim I have worked with him over the last 3 years and its been great to watch him developing into a fine young manager but be warned he is his own man .will take no shite from Scott or Fitzpatrick . he has a great relationship with Gus and I see that not being a problem. at Alloa the Chairman pays a Manager to Manage the footballing side of the club hope that continues at St.mirren . he is great with the staff around the club and treats everyone great from top to bottom . his management skills are second to none knows when to kick and cuddle your young players will love him so much time for them .Good luck to him PS thats the second manager in 4 years you have taken from us

Absolutely delighted with the appointment of Goodwin. Everything about it fits & it just seems the right move at the right time.

When he was rumoured to be going to Dundee, I did feel a bit gutted as I believe he’ll be a huge influence around our club & if he had went to Dens & did a good job he may of got a bigger move & the chance to get him in would be gone. It’s not though, he’s here & I’m really looking forward to the season ahead.

Jim Goodwin’s black & white army [emoji835]️[emoji836]️

Absolutely delighted with this.

Think most Buddies felt it was a bit written in the stars that Jim would go out, make a name for himself at Alloa and come to manage us eventually but as said above, the Dundee interest and  OK apparently being settled at the time meant that it didn't look like it would happen.

It's the perfect appointment at the perfect time. He's always been onside with the fans and absolutely loved, he's earned himself a very good reputation as an up and comer and given the events from the last week. there's no better name and face who realistically would bring a bit of feel good factor back to a support who lost it quite quickly there. One that could have easily been played as a pandering move to the support if he wasn't building himself such a reputation, we seem to get the best of both worlds in this one....striking when the iron is hot on a young manager and one with a massive affinity for the club to boot.

Can't wait to see what he can do for us.

Edited by djchapsticks

Waspie has nailed it with his post.I always felt Jim was too defensive minded for my liking but as time went on he got more progressive and we benefitted from this.His loan signings were excellent and complimented our core squad and for me his three permanent signings this season are as good as a club our size can realistically expect.If he carries on like he has recently and gets a bit of time and believe he can take St Mirren to the next level of being a solid top league club instead of constantly fighting relegation.All the best to him and yourselves.

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely delighted with this.

Think most Buddies felt it was a bit written in the stars that Jim would go out, make a name for himself at Alloa and come to manage us eventually but as said above, the Dundee interest and  OK apparently being settled at the time meant that it didn't look like it would happen.

It's the perfect appointment at the perfect time. He's always been onside with the fans and absolutely loved, he's earned himself a very good reputation as an up and comer and given the events from the last week. there's no better name and face who realistically would bring a bit of feel good factor back to a support who lost it quite quickly there. One that could have easily been played as a pandering move to the support if he wasn't building himself such a reputation, we seem to get the best of both worlds in this one....striking when the iron is hot on a young manager and one with a massive affinity for the club to boot.

Can't wait to see what he can do for us.

We thought the exact same with Richie Foran.  The glaring difference of course. is that Goodwin has proven he is a good manager.  Our daft fucking board just went simple and gave it to Foran as they couldn't be fucked with the process required apparently.

Pleased with the appointment of Jim, just wondering what would have happened had a ‘ready made’ replacement like him not been available, and willing to jump into our madhouse. No real time to advertise, to do due dilligence on serious contenders, or to do in-depth interviews.... would most likely have handed the keys temporarily to Alan McManus and Gus, until due process played out.

Jim ticks the boxes, best wishes to him and Lee.

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Pleased with the appointment of Jim, just wondering what would have happened had a ‘ready made’ replacement like him not been available, and willing to jump into our madhouse. No real time to advertise, to do due dilligence on serious contenders, or to do in-depth interviews.... would most likely have handed the keys temporarily to Alan McManus and Gus, until due process played out.

Jim ticks the boxes, best wishes to him and Lee.

Oran Kearney would still be in a job.

43 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Oran Kearney would still be in a job.

Oran Kearney has departed with the season almost upon us. I am merely pondering what GLS & Tony would have done, had Jim Goodwin not accepted the gig. Where would the club have went next? What is your opinion?

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What is your opinion?

I reckon they’d have stuck with the idea of a promising manager from the lower leagues. The Clyde manager, for example. Or the young guy at Airdrie.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Oran Kearney has departed with the season almost upon us. I am merely pondering what GLS & Tony would have done, had Jim Goodwin not accepted the gig. Where would the club have went next? What is your opinion?

I think if JG hadn't accepted the job, there's a very good chance Ok would be taking us into the new season. 

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

He would have commuted like he done last season when it was not a problem. Goody putting himself in the press I'm now ready for a full time gig come and get me swung it in my view. Glad we got our man The turnover in staff is going to make the accounts interesting reading I have been hearing. 

28 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I think if JG hadn't accepted the job, there's a very good chance Ok would be taking us into the new season. 

Which does make you wonder if Saints played OK rather than the other way round.