The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Actually, I'm not laughing, never really expected it. More surprised than anything. Don't be so defensive. 

What do you guys think though? It's a bit of a gamble.

Yeah thought it was done and dusted in May.  Was a decent manager, could motivate and we certainly seemed to up our game transfer wise after Stubbs left (although that might be more due to just not being Stubbs).  Not any great evidence that he was much of a coach or tactician. A bit like Lenny. Good conection to the fans.

I think he's certainly not the worst manager we've had in recent years. Stubbs wins that one hands down closely followed by Alex Rae and Tommy Craig. But I'd also say not as good a manger as Danny Lennon, Jack Ross, Gus, or even Gary Teale.

In terms of replacement I'd rather take a gamble on Goodwin than pick some tried and failed shite like those the media tried to push on to Killie.

15 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Actually, I'm not laughing, never really expected it. More surprised than anything. Don't be so defensive. 

What do you guys think though? It's a bit of a gamble.

What's not to like: club legend, shortlisted for manager of the year, well-spoken, ambitious, fans' favourite, fucking handsome as hell, previous for winding up Neil Lennon (though who hasn't?).

I honestly can't imagine who would be available/in our price range/willing to come to St Mirren* that we'd go for instead of him at such a strange point of pre-season.

* who isn't sodding Yogi Hughes

Actually, I'm not laughing, never really expected it. More surprised than anything. Don't be so defensive. What do you guys think though? It's a bit of a gamble.

Surprised, eh? I assume that you’re also shocked about Frank Lampard being in talks with Chelsea. Who would have thought it? Jim Goodwin to St. Mirren is such a wacky, far-fetched managerial appointment.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Is it not the other way round it's more of a gamble going to the buddies as a manager?

Not any more than any other club. Clubs have expectations that you're gambling you can achieve.  For Example, Lenny is gambling he can win two more league titles at Celtic.  

Surprised, eh? I assume that you’re also shocked about Frank Lampard being in talks with Chelsea. Who would have thought it? Jim Goodwin to St. Mirren is such a wacky, far-fetched managerial appointment.
I'm not sure anyone expressed any views on Lampard getting that job on the SPFL forum.

59 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Not any more than any other club. Clubs have expectations that you're gambling you can achieve.  For Example, Lenny is gambling he can win two more league titles at Celtic.  

I get there is different reasons for managers leaving the buddies but too many in a short time isn't good for any club.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I get there is different reasons for managers leaving the buddies but too many in a short time isn't good for any club.

Correct , however we have had quite a few bad ones. Jack Ross was good left for bigger things. Oran was good gutted he left now Gordon Scott will be under the microscope with most fans. Wont be long now before we are a fan owned club maybe that will be worse time will tell. Meanwhile St Mirren legend Jim Goodwin will take over and will have the backing of the majority of the supporters. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Lyness returns on a two year deal.

He was unlucky to be cut loose last season. We obviously couldn't get rid of Rodgers who then got injured so by time we needed another goalie, Lyness was already at Raith. 

Yeah, I liked him. Very good back-up... Or decent number one if we cash in on The Wall.

[emoji23]
You never did properly explain your irrational hatred of Kearney. Nor did you front up after he kept us up.
Funny he has been a bit quiet lately.

Now that he is away after a short stint I will try to review his time in charge as even keeled as possible.

Positives - He kept us up, albeit via the play offs but we were the better team over the 2 legs and should have won before extra time.

Defensively we were much more solid, didn't lose as many stupid goals, especially from set pieces.

Our form over the last 12 or so games of the season was brilliant. Fair enough mainly against teams in and around us but we finally showed some guts and built up some momentum.

Built the relationship up between the fans and club again. Our support was absolutely rocking most weeks, especially in the run in.

Negatives - He was a bit conservative in his team selections. 3-5-2/5-3-2 was a bit negative, a lot of the time we didn't have enough attacking threat but we didn't really have Premiership class attacking options.

That brings me onto January. Our turnaround in players, The Czech wall, Popescu, McAllister and Muzek aside, the signings didn't work out. Dryer looked as if he was coming onto a game then got injured.

His win rate, think it was about 19% i seen on twitter. That isn't great. Obviously the squad was in some state but we should have picked up more points from September to January.

Keeping us up was all he was asked to do. He managed that, so i have no qualms with him.

Bring on the Goody [emoji7].