The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Why does he say shit like this? 
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4336464/st-mirren-tony-fitzpatrick-top-four-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559888094
Also, you played two top six teams in your last ten games (lost both). Awful argument from the guy. 
All hail Stubbsy x 
f**k Stubbs.

32 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
6 hours ago, Zing. said:
Why does he say shit like this? 
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4336464/st-mirren-tony-fitzpatrick-top-four-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559888094
Also, you played two top six teams in your last ten games (lost both). Awful argument from the guy. 
All hail Stubbsy x 

f**k Stubbs.

49D5196A-6FF8-42A0-A92E-071C8A3A0C15.gif.1b9a2c46dc1a677ba66100d113299c32.gif

6 hours ago, monthelie' said:

There's no way he should be the chief exec. He hasn't a clue.

Club legend, but not a chief exec.

What should our Chief Exec be doing if not talking passionately about the Club? Lawwell runs Scottish football obviously and Milne wanted 3 leagues of 8 but that apart what do the rest do?

2 minutes ago, waverleytales said:

What should our Chief Exec be doing if not talking passionately about the Club? Lawwell runs Scottish football obviously and Milne wanted 3 leagues of 8 but that apart what do the rest do?

Talking sense. 

Would we like to have a long term aim for top 4 or 6? Of course. 

SHOULD we be top 4 or 6? No. To even publicly state that is stupid. There is not a single metric that has us in the top 4 or 6 clubs in the country to back up his assertion that it's our rightful place. Not even close. 

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Talking sense. 

SHOULD we be top 4 or 6? No. To even publicly state that is stupid. There is not a single metric that has us in the top 4 or 6 clubs in the country to back up his assertion that it's our rightful place. Not even close. 

We are shite but our long term aim is top 6.

Thank you.

maxresdefault.jpg

47 minutes ago, waverleytales said:

He can say what he wants, but it's been confirmed by Neilson and Stubbs that he involves finishing in the top four as part of his actual club strategy, which is just ludicrous, and harmful.

Theres absolutely no benefit to him coming out to the mass media and saying what he does, it just piles pressure on everyone at the club and sets them up for a fall.

It's not ambition to talk about prospective achievements, just delusion of where you are.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Talking sense. 

Nail on the head. It would be nice to get into the top six but we've never even been close to it since the split was introduced. It's going to take a hell of an improvement on our best ever SPL/Premiership season (whatever that was) to push for it. In a normal season there's probably only one, at most two, top six slots up for grabs as you'd imagine the Old Firm, the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen to take five of the places. It's not unachievable though as plenty of other clubs have shown.

Talk of the top four is just nonsense and has no basis in reality or fact. How many times have we managed it? I know we finished third once in the 1980s but if that's what he's basing it on he's delusional. 

He is a great guy and it's nice hearing positive stuff after the negativity under the old board but we've gone from one extreme to the other. Ambition is also very well but it needs to be slightly realistic. Someone should maybe have a word and ask him to tone it down a bit. I still have my doubts as to whether or not he's qualified for his job - I think the previous board might have taken advantage of him because they'd have known they were getting a guy who would work far more hours than he was contracted to and they wouldn't have to pay him extra due to his love for the club.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He can say what he wants, but it's been confirmed by Neilson and Stubbs that he involves finishing in the top four as part of his actual club strategy, which is just ludicrous, and harmful.

Theres absolutely no benefit to him coming out to the mass media and saying what he does, it just piles pressure on everyone at the club and sets them up for a fall.

It's not ambition to talk about prospective achievements, just delusion of where you are.

Stubbs moaned at the board for showing too much ambition with top four/six talk then, in the same interview moaned about a lack of ambition from the board so his mumblings are almost as nonsensical as Tony's.

Also, on this occasion he didn't say it to the mass media - he said it to the club's TV channel, which is behind a paywall, and the Sun have ripped off the quotes (without having the good grace to mention that, as they usually do). I appreciate that doesn't change the fact he said it though!

I take it @jaybeeeis related to 'Fitzy'?

Thats a few times on here in the past couple of weeks he's been getting slagged on here by a load of posters and he's went around red dotting all the posts. :lol:

Edited by Dele

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Fitzpatrick sounds like a lovely guy with all the off pitch stuff etc but surely it doesn't help St Mirren to have senior figures coming across as totally delusional in the press constantly?

Some might say Tony was delusional believing he could be a top footballer but he made it. Nothing wrong with having big dreams - costs nothing. Tony is the perfect antidote to Tom English and Chris Sutton.

Edited by waverleytales

Kearney confirms he's staying with us. 

Interesting to see him be so open about how much he's struggled being away from his family and he doesn't want to be selfish by upping his kids and unsettling them by moving them over unless he knows it's the 100% right thing to do. 

It suggests he did genuinely think about going home to be closer to them which is fair enough. I hope there is a solution that sorts everything out for all members of his family. It's clear when his kids are out on the park when they come over for matches, how much they dote on their dad and love being out there. The W7 guys also love involving his boy with the drum. 

Hope there is a solution which is beneficial to everyone. 

"We were always in the top four, that's what I was used to at this club".

Going by the excellent stmirren.info, Tony played for us between 1973 and 1989 we finished third in 1979/80 and fourth in 1980/81 (there's two other top four finishes much earlier in our finishes when the top level was in the first division. And just to completely blow Tony's claim out the window, those two top four finishes came during the two years he was at Bristol City :lol:

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

"We were always in the top four, that's what I was used to at this club".

Going by the excellent stmirren.info, Tony played for us between 1973 and 1989 we finished third in 1979/80 and fourth in 1980/81 (there's two other top four finishes much earlier in our finishes when the top level was in the first division. And just to completely blow Tony's claim out the window, those two top four finishes came during the two years he was at Bristol City :lol:

Self publicising shite. :lol:

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Nail on the head. It would be nice to get into the top six but we've never even been close to it since the split was introduced. It's going to take a hell of an improvement on our best ever SPL/Premiership season (whatever that was) to push for it. In a normal season there's probably only one, at most two, top six slots up for grabs as you'd imagine the Old Firm, the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen to take five of the places. It's not unachievable though as plenty of other clubs have shown.

Talk of the top four is just nonsense and has no basis in reality or fact. How many times have we managed it? I know we finished third once in the 1980s but if that's what he's basing it on he's delusional. 

He is a great guy and it's nice hearing positive stuff after the negativity under the old board but we've gone from one extreme to the other. Ambition is also very well but it needs to be slightly realistic. Someone should maybe have a word and ask him to tone it down a bit. I still have my doubts as to whether or not he's qualified for his job - I think the previous board might have taken advantage of him because they'd have known they were getting a guy who would work far more hours than he was contracted to and they wouldn't have to pay him extra due to his love for the club.

Stubbs moaned at the board for showing too much ambition with top four/six talk then, in the same interview moaned about a lack of ambition from the board so his mumblings are almost as nonsensical as Tony's.

Also, on this occasion he didn't say it to the mass media - he said it to the club's TV channel, which is behind a paywall, and the Sun have ripped off the quotes (without having the good grace to mention that, as they usually do). I appreciate that doesn't change the fact he said it though!

Our problem for the past 20 years has been budget 1p in 1p out. Of course it's the right way to run a club so we need to generate more income not just from gete recipients.  I would move Tony over to big Campbell's position get out there to local businesses which are plentiful in the Paisley area. We have a International airport on our doorstep.  The funeral section is large these are the kind of areas to get involved. Campbell is a nice big bloke but he has been doing it for too long he has burnout no new ideas.  Edit to add. First you need to get the basics right. Our catering contractors are bad everything they serve is cut to the bone in the name of profit. Their contract should not be renewed.  I have been in catering all my life I know what I'm talking about. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He can say what he wants, but it's been confirmed by two completely shite managers Neilson and Stubbs that he involves finishing in the top four as part of his actual club strategy, which is just ludicrous, and harmful.

FIFY.:)