The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Making a rip roaring c**t of yourself and having people pointing and laughing at you isn't  the same as getting people worked up really.

I would understand if he said something like this but the comment in the article quote is ‘This club is a top-four, at the worst, top-six club.’

History shows this doesn’t exactly happen often. It also puts unneeded pressure on the coaches, players and him as well. 

Tbh most Saints fans take Fitzy's quotes with a shovel of salt. 

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

Why does he say shit like this? 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4336464/st-mirren-tony-fitzpatrick-top-four-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559888094

Also, you played two top six teams in your last ten games (lost both). Awful argument from the guy. 

All hail Stubbsy x 

Cos he's an absolute clown.

I think he's actually lost his marbles, talks shite for fun.

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Is Tony back on the drugs ? 

I had a conversation with Brian Caldwell once who said that Tony “ doesn’t live in the real world “ when it comes to St Mirren . As a Killie supporter whose fans were , jokingly right enough , talking about winning the league last  year , I understand hyperbole , but this is embarrassing surely ? 

It's far from ideal. I mean, on the face of it, it does no real harm, but then you hear that Robbie Neilson's reasons for pulling out the interview process last summer* were related to unrealistic expectations, and you begin to wonder.

I just can't shake the feeling that he perhaps shouldn't be our chief exec. I want a role for him at the club - ambassador, or something - but he has to tone this stuff down.

I don't get why he can't say 'the aim has to be to start challenging for a top-six finish', which would be a perfectly reasonable ambition (but not an expectation), albeit one not based on any league tables from the past 35 years. 

* Obviously with hindsight I'd rather be where we are than where he is, but still, he'd have been a much better shout than Stubbs.

40 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Making a rip roaring c**t of yourself and having people pointing and laughing at you isn't  the same as getting people worked up really.

I would understand if he said something like this but the comment in the article quote is ‘This club is a top-four, at the worst, top-six club.’

History shows this doesn’t exactly happen often. It also puts unneeded pressure on the coaches, players and him as well. 

History has also shown that Killie have been in Europe 5 times in the past 20 odd years whilst St Mirren have been yo-yoing around the leagues..

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't get why he can't say 'the aim has to be to start challenging for a top-six finish', which would be a perfectly reasonable ambition (but not an expectation), albeit one not based on any league tables from the past 35 years. 

* Obviously with hindsight I'd rather be where we are than where he is, but still, he'd have been a much better shout than Stubbs.

I don't think anyone would have even batted an eyelid at that.

It's a fair expectation/target for a club like St Mirren (or Killie)

51 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If Killie can finish 3rd,  then there's no reason why St Mirren can't.  

Fitzy is God. 

Even though we're punching above our weight to finish 3rd, we're not punching above it quite as much as St Mirren would have to be.

Killie have finished in the top 8 of the league in 17 of the last 25 seasons, in the top 6 in 9 of the last 25 and the top 4 in 5 of the last 25. For St Mirren, the equivalent numbers are 2, 0 and 0.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think anyone would have even batted an eyelid at that.

It's a fair expectation/target for a club like St Mirren (or Killie)

I mean, if you cut out the faux-bravado you get on forums (there are examples on this thread...) then very few Saints fans have got unrealistic expectations. Most of them know our natural place is somewhere between 9th and 16th depending on how badly we've fucked up our latest managerial appointment, with an occasional cup run chucked into the mix.

Aiming higher than that is fine; expecting higher than that is batshit.

5 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

You think St Mirren are as a big a club as Kilmarnock? :lol:

Do you think Kilmarnock is as big as Paisley. To be honest I never understand these debates. Yes Kilmarnock have had more success than St Mirren in recent history. Killie will probably go through a period of changing management trying to find the Steve Clark formula seen it happen before at other clubs. 

8 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Yes Kilmarnock have had more success than St Mirren in recent history. 

killie were in the bottom league in the 80s and last won a trophy in 97,hardly more successful than st mirren.

1 good season and they think they are barca.

8 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

killie were in the bottom league in the 80s and last won a trophy in 97,hardly more successful than st mirren.

I’m guessing them beating us in the league cup 2012 final was a figure of my imagination. We also beat Barca that year therefore Killie > Barca.

Oh god now Killie fans are gonna pester us all season saying we said we are a bigger club [emoji23].

Tony is Tony. Great guy, club legend but shouldn't be let near the media. We stopped taking him serious when he said Ricky Gillies was good enough for AC Milan.

The gripe is he will be on good money talking like this, but that is StMirren's problem.

‘This club is a top-four, at the worst, top-six club.’
History shows this doesn’t exactly happen often.

You're right.

Next season will be Saints 100th in the top flight. The number of times they've finished in the top four is "fingers of one hand" material.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Do you think Kilmarnock is as big as Paisley. To be honest I never understand these debates. Yes Kilmarnock have had more success than St Mirren in recent history. Killie will probably go through a period of changing management trying to find the Steve Clark formula seen it happen before at other clubs. 

Kilmarnock have had more success full stop.

Even through the 60s when we won the league, we were runners up 4 out of the previous 5 seasons.

1 hour ago, Buddie Holly said:

We were in the bottom league for one season and last won a cup in 2012 beating a treble chasing Celtic in the process.

We've not played out with the top league in over a quarter of a century, whereas you have jumped from SPL-Championship for fun.

Let's not make up facts, eh.

Anyway, we can all agree that Tony is opening his mouth and letting it rumble.

If you guys make top 6 it would be a decent achievement and one you should strive for. We've shown it's not nearly impossible with right manager but saying you are in top 6 biggest clubs in Scotland (never mind 4th) is just plain daft. I'd say that about us too.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Kilmarnock have had more success full stop.

Even through the 60s when we won the league, we were runners up 4 out of the previous 5 seasons.

. Who cares who is bigger than who it is success we all crave. Killie had a magnificent season I was happy for you. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's far from ideal. I mean, on the face of it, it does no real harm, but then you hear that Robbie Neilson's reasons for pulling out the interview process last summer* were related to unrealistic expectations, and you begin to wonder.

I just can't shake the feeling that he perhaps shouldn't be our chief exec. I want a role for him at the club - ambassador, or something - but he has to tone this stuff down.

There's no way he should be the chief exec. He hasn't a clue.

Club legend, but not a chief exec.

Said for a long time, Tony as a club ambassador or some similar role would be ideal. He's the biggest living club legend and should always have a place in our club in some role. 

Tony as a chief exec, though? Not for me. Not even close. 

He shouldn't be saying daft, heart on the sleeve stuff like this in his role, as it's patently not true and potentially damaging to recruitment. Top 4 club you say? The means you should be matching Hearts or Hibs for wages. 

Aiming high is acceptable and vastly different from expecting high.