The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 departures confirmed today, all 9 loans coming to an end plus Eck, Ferdinand and Jackson not being offered new deals.

No real surprises but Muzek and MacKenzie not being mentioned suggests that they have been offered new contracts.

Full list of departures;

Anton Ferdinand (end of contract)
Adam Eckersley (end of contract)
Simeon Jackson (end of contract)
Anders Dreyer (end of loan)
Brad Lyons (end of loan)
Danny Rogers (end of loan)
Duckens Nazon (end of loan)
Jordan Holmes (end of loan)
Kyle McAllister (end of loan)
Laurentiu Corbu (end of loan)
Lee Hodson (end of loan)
Mihai Popescu (end of loan)

Still expect Kellermann and Heaton to join that list.

29 minutes ago, Div said:

12 departures confirmed today, all 9 loans coming to an end plus Eck, Ferdinand and Jackson not being offered new deals.

No real surprises but Muzek and MacKenzie not being mentioned suggests that they have been offered new contracts.

Full list of departures;

Brad Lyons (end of loan)
Lee Hodson (end of loan)

12 gone, and I'd say eight played a significant role this season, if not necessarily as a first choice player.

We just don't do boring transfer windows, do we?

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

12 gone, and I'd say eight played a significant role this season, if not necessarily as a first choice player.

We just don't do boring transfer windows, do we?

I'd hope we'll at least try to get some of those guys back.

Would love to see Popescu, Hodson and McAllister at the club next season.

31 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I'd hope we'll at least try to get some of those guys back.

Would love to see Popescu, Hodson and McAllister at the club next season.

Yeah, agree on them. I'd say there's a 9/10 chance Hodson will come back, 5/10 for Popescu and 3/10 for McAllister*. But I hope Kearney is battering Lampard's door down as we speak.

*If Jack Ross is still at Sunderland, I bet they'd go in for him.

7 hours ago, btb said:

Isma :wub:  tough one, six years on and it's all been a bit meh for him!

Don't want to spoil those memories and I'm not sure he's the sorta player OK will be looking for.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Agreed, since leaving us he's been at more clubs than Leigh Griffiths on a night out. Good player but always thought his attitude could be better.

5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

He's not really set the heather on fire at any club since leaving. Think we got the best of him!

Hard to agree. He's been pretty much a standard goal in every 3 games since leaving us. Including at Hearts. 

He's definitely be a fantastic signing for a club of our stature. 

6 hours ago, Div said:

Full list of departures;

Brad Lyons (end of loan)
Lee Hodson (end of loan)

Think you can add in the very real possibility of Tansey throwing in the towel as well.

Looking at what is left in positional terms:

image.png.7d8722fa7afb57d792818e2c82fed5ce.png

That's 15 remaining. Kellermann and Heaton will surely not be here by start of the season and Tansey will be lucky if he kicks a ball again apparently.

That would leave us with 12 (on basis that Gary Mac and Muzek stay).

So from that 12, we'd add another 8 - 10 in close season to get to that magic number of 21-22.

For me, we definitely need:

1 x Backup Goalie
1 x RB for cover (Hodson would be ideal due to versatility on both sides and can play in midfield if needed)
1 or 2 x CB
1 x CM (attacking)
1 x RM
1 x LM
2 x CF

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, agree on them. I'd say there's a 9/10 chance Hodson will come back, 5/10 for Popescu and 3/10 for McAllister*. But I hope Kearney is battering Lampard's door down as we speak.

*If Jack Ross is still at Sunderland, I bet they'd go in for him.

Wouldn't be overly surprised to see Ross go in for Carey. Already seen Burton Albion linked with him but he should be going to a top League One club or even someone in the bottom part of the Championship. Out of our range these days sadly.

Shows how much has changed at the club that Carey and Isma left six years ago yet there's sod all people left at the club from their time here - both on the playing and non-playing side.

Why does he say shit like this? 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4336464/st-mirren-tony-fitzpatrick-top-four-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559888094

Also, you played two top six teams in your last ten games (lost both). Awful argument from the guy. 

All hail Stubbsy x 

Edited by Zing.

7 minutes ago, Zing. said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4336464/st-mirren-tony-fitzpatrick-top-four-scotland/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559888094

Also, you played two top six teams in your last ten games (lost both). Awful argument from the guy. 

All hail Stubbsy x 

Hes not even right, I'm sure the form table for the last ten games has them 5th, no idea how he thinks it has them "top four at least", when it takes literally two seconds to check and can't be debated.

Is Tony back on the drugs ? 

I had a conversation with Brian Caldwell once who said that Tony “ doesn’t live in the real world “ when it comes to St Mirren . As a Killie supporter whose fans were , jokingly right enough , talking about winning the league last  year , I understand hyperbole , but this is embarrassing surely ? 

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not even right, I'm sure the form table for the last ten games has them 5th, no idea how he thinks it has them "top four at least", when it takes literally two seconds to check and can't be debated.

And 5 of those games are after the split, yes Tony if we could just play most of our games against the shite of the league we'd all do quite well, boy's a zoomer.

47 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Is Tony back on the drugs ? 

I had a conversation with Brian Caldwell once who said that Tony “ doesn’t live in the real world “ when it comes to St Mirren . As a Killie supporter whose fans were , jokingly right enough , talking about winning the league last  year , I understand hyperbole , but this is embarrassing surely ? 

If Killie can finish 3rd,  then there's no reason why St Mirren can't.  

Fitzy is God. 

32 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Fitzy is a fucking legend and can say what he wants. Won’t meet a nicer guy either.

Glad to see he’s got you lot worked up though!

Making a rip roaring c**t of yourself and having people pointing and laughing at you isn't  the same as getting people worked up really.

13 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If Killie can finish 3rd,  then there's no reason why St Mirren can't.  

Fitzy is God. 

I would understand if he said something like this but the comment in the article quote is ‘This club is a top-four, at the worst, top-six club.’

History shows this doesn’t exactly happen often. It also puts unneeded pressure on the coaches, players and him as well. 

Edited by gannonball

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Making a rip roaring c**t of yourself and having people pointing and laughing at you isn't  the same as getting people worked up really.

I would understand if he said something like this but the comment in the article quote is ‘This club is a top-four, at the worst, top-six club.’

History shows this doesn’t exactly happen often. It also puts unneeded pressure on the coaches, players and him as well. 

Tbf his expectations are lowering, two or three years ago he had them winning the league by 2019...

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

All hail Stubbsy x 

None of our fans take Tony seriously. Personally I would rather have a chief executive who is a realist.  We wont have a budget to compete for a top six place. Our manager might pull off a great achievement but that's an outside chance not one you would put on at the bookies.