The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's out of contract at Sevco now, so hopefully he can be persuaded to take a pay cut and join the good guys permanently.

Times like this that managerial continuity, combined with having a manager that players actually want to play for, really comes in handy. 

Nitpicking but if he's out of contract then it wouldn't be a pay cut, I don't think we were to far out of line with what the other diddy clubs in the top flight here were paying last season so it would more likely be down to whether a club down south is interested in him

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He did after the match... but it wasn’t entirely convincing. He said he was having issues commuting away from his family, but that he had known that when he signed up.

He’s bought a house in Bridge of Weir and is moving his family over this summer. 

I think MacKenzie is definitely worth another deal - we'd have lost the play-off without him.

Popescu didn't play well in the play-offs but still well worth signing, though not for a big fee. I liked his passion at the end on Sunday. Hodson would be great, too, if we can afford him. 

We need good players all over the park, though. Goalkeeper is just about the only one that there are no question marks over.

30 minutes ago, bendan said:

I think MacKenzie is definitely worth another deal - we'd have lost the play-off without him.

Popescu didn't play well in the play-offs but still well worth signing, though not for a big fee. I liked his passion at the end on Sunday. Hodson would be great, too, if we can afford him. 

We need good players all over the park, though. Goalkeeper is just about the only one that there are no question marks over.

We would be winning the League, Scottish Cup and League Cup if there were no question marks over any of our players.

We have only lost 1 of the last eight games and that was against Celtic. And while I do not think we are anywhere near great we have a decent nucleus to build on. The McGinns, Baird, Muzek, Magennis, Flynn and Mullen have all made a solid contribution this season as well as the 4 mentioned above. But that only gives us a squad of 11. We need 7 or 8 decent pros with 2 or 3 being above average. No way will we have a pool of 18/20 where there are no question marks over any of them.

3 hours ago, geo87 said:

Meant to add Hodson to my list as well, thought he was excellent over the 2 legs.

Big decision for McAllister over the summer, he’s no where near fit enough to even get close to that Derby side - he should be aiming to go out and get regular first team football, whether that be us or someone else

That's a good point and given we retained our status we may just be given the option of another loan; especially since Derby didn't get promoted and Frank Lampard is probably going to try to aim for an automatic promotion next season, in which case he will possibly favour a more experienced team with less likelihood of the likes of Kyle forcing his way in. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:
2 hours ago, govansaint said:

Good news if true. Are you ITK Glenburn ?

I wouldn’t say ITK just a good pal who knows a director.

Excellent, nice to hear positivity. Thanks.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Agree entirely with big Mac, didn't like an earlier suggestion where somebody suggested offering him a pay as you play deal, unfair as he literally put his body on the line on Sunday.

Popescue I thought was playing on his wrong side, it seems he is very one footed (which a lot of footballers are) so Sunday he was out of position and normally has had a much better game. Having said that, a lot would depend on exactly how big a fee is required, but if reasonable I would keep him.

On GaryMac, I thought the guy was absolutely immense towards the end of the season.

Given the bad luck he's had with injuries - and then getting assaulted against Accies and United - to play the way he did was superb.

If he can stay fit next season he'll be a huge asset to us.

Oh, and a wee word on Ferdinand.

He hardly played in the last 2-3 months, but always seemed to be in good spirits when warming up with the subs, and keen to interact with young fans.

Something I thought was great given how many players in his position could have had a completely different attitude.

That said, I was bricking it when he had to come on on Sunday. No matches for months, and coming in to such an important game.

I couldn't have been more wrong - never put a foot wrong, despite smoking a pipe and wearing big bunny slippers.

Class. I doubt we'll seem him next year, but thanks for everything Anton.

10 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

On GaryMac, I thought the guy was absolutely immense towards the end of the season.

Given the bad luck he's had with injuries - and then getting assaulted against Accies and United - to play the way he did was superb.

If he can stay fit next season he'll be a huge asset to us.

Love the big man but that would be my main worry about resigning him, he'll be a target for sure on the whole I'd say no.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

Was the only reason he wasn't playing injury?

Always thought he was a bit unlucky not to go a bit higher in his career. I'd definitely take him back at Dundee if he was free and would take a years deal, he just seems to win absolutely everything.

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Always thought he was a bit unlucky not to go a bit higher in his career. I'd definitely take him back at Dundee if he was free and would take a years deal, he just seems to win absolutely everything.

Yeah, just injured a lot. Stubbs tried to bomb him out in the summer, too.

If we didn't extend his deal (I hope we do) then he'd be perfect for a top-end Championship club.

Just now, harry94 said:

Aye. He done in his Achilles at the start of the season and only returned during our recent unbeaten run. Considering we nearly got relegated I do not think we lost any games when Gary played. Solid as a rock and a threat at corners.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

Aye. He done in his Achilles at the start of the season and only returned during our recent unbeaten run. Considering we nearly got relegated I do not think we lost any games when Gary played. Solid as a rock and a threat at corners.

Alex Rae used to have him stay back and take free-kicks instead of going forward.....

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Alex Rae used to have him stay back and take free-kicks instead of going forward.....

No surprise there.

I would have no fear giving Gary another contract but if we don't then he would be a fantastic acquisition for any Championship team. Far better than anything the DABS have. :)

Going by his latest Instagram post, Ferdinand is offsky.
Not much of a loss from the playing side point of view but i've heard he was brilliant for the dressing room and around the place in general.
Yes he's gone a top pro in my opinion.