The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

38 minutes ago, McG said:

I spoke to somebody lastnight and I asked would gus have any say In team selection, the reply was “no chance”.

He will be watching opposing teams and I believe he will have a lot to do in the scouting side of things.

That's good news to be honest i doubt OK would be happy with anyone getting involved with team selection surely that's just undermining a manger

now if you could get some transfer activity updated soon we'd appreciate it 

That's good news to be honest i doubt OK would be happy with anyone getting involved with team selection surely that's just undermining a manger
now if you could get some transfer activity updated soon we'd appreciate it 
Gus was never going to interfere with the team selections, the only folk who thought that are the fans with an axe to grind with him.

This should be a huge benefit to Oran.

Onto something completely unrelated now. This civil war between some online fans and GS has to end.

5 hours ago, McG said:

I spoke to somebody lastnight and I asked would gus have any say In team selection, the reply was “no chance”.

He will be watching opposing teams and I believe he will have a lot to do in the scouting side of things.

Gus will be prefict for such a role we are lucky to have a guy with so much experience in the game. 

Gus doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy to come in and try and undermine anyone. As has been said, if he plays his cards right he’s got a job for life with Saints, why try to upset the apple cart! I think it’s a decent appointment, lots of knowledge about the Scottish game for OK to use if required.

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Gus will be prefict for such a role we are lucky to have a guy with so much experience in the game. 

A role that we have no idea what the remit is and a role he has never carried out before - perfect fit. I have no grudge against Gus MacPherson,I enjoyed going to the games when he was manager. This new role specially created just seems like a waste of money to me. Money which could be better spent elsewhere. 

The only thinking I could possibly see behind it would be that Fitzpatrick is heading for retirement and they are looking for Gus to transition into that role.   

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

A role that we have no idea what the remit is and a role he has never carried out before - perfect fit. I have no grudge against Gus MacPherson,I enjoyed going to the games when he was manager. This new role specially created just seems like a waste of money to me. Money which could be better spent elsewhere. 

The only thinking I could possibly see behind it would be that Fitzpatrick is heading for retirement and they are looking for Gus to transition into that role.   

First you write we have no idea what remit. So what do we know so far ? Gordon Scott has said we need someone to identify talent. That means someone who will watch talent identified by Gus and the scouting network. Someone to watch the opposition in both cases reporting to the manager. Only my opinion for me it's a fantastic role for our club to adopt that Gus has many years in the game as such will fit this appointment perfectly. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

10 hours ago, McG said:

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Yes we do.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shame as he is definitely good enough. 

The fitness and lack of pre-season is going to be an issue with a lot of free agents. We simply can't afford to carry any more passengers who need a pre season, even if only for a few weeks. 

Agree that we can't be carrying anyone, but that's also to admit that we're probably not bringing anyone else in at this stage. Ferdinand will be an exceptional case in that he arrived fit (ish).

It's going to be a long autumn.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agree that we can't be carrying anyone, but that's also to admit that we're probably not bringing anyone else in at this stage. Ferdinand will be an exceptional case in that he arrived fit (ish).

It's going to be a long autumn.

Just depends really. Some people keep themselves in top shape and just need match sharpness. Think that's about best we have hope for. 

If someone is coming in needing weeks of basic cardio like a pre season, unfortunately they won't be right for us at this point. 

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Just depends really. Some people keep themselves in top shape and just need match sharpness. Think that's about best we have hope for. 

If someone is coming in needing weeks of basic cardio like a pre season, unfortunately they won't be right for us at this point. 

On the plus side, Edwards did ok out wide, I thought, and Hodson/McGinn got forward well Vs Celtic (first half, at least). Maybe we'll get away with playing narrow and relying on the FBs for width until January.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

On the plus side, Edwards did ok out wide, I thought, and Hodson/McGinn got forward well Vs Celtic (first half, at least). Maybe we'll get away with playing narrow and relying on the FBs for width until January.

We have plenty players who can go out wide you rightly point out Paul McGinn has put in some great crosses. Hodson on the opposite side. You can utilise Kyle and Flynn out wide also. I don't see width as a problem. The problem was Stubbs that problem has now gone. Sure a winger would be good as would another striker.