The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

As far as I'm aware, a director of football is directly involved in signing players and renewing contracts and has the final say of a manager's playing squad. 

I don't think a technical director has a say in the playing squad in any way.

Anywho, I'm sure no one will be losing sleep over the critique of a guy whose legacy as a football manager was booting a dressing room door off its hinges 25 years ago. 

I don't think there is any strict definition of what a Technical Director/DoF actually is. It depends entirely on how  whoever writes the job description decides to define it. They might end up having a say in playing squad if asked to, or not. Although I'm not against having an extra layer of scrutiny for transfers considering Rae/Stubbs approach to the transfer market.

8 hours ago, TomPainesBones! said:

Appointment of Jimmy Nicholl imminent!

@Stu will be disappointed.. :rolleyes:

On the surface it makes sense. Kearney will have a limited experience of Scottish football, Nicholl has a shit ton of it and although it's not necessary for him to be from the same country, but I'm guessing that helps too.

All in all, we've got rid of an unsuccessful manager who had been out of work for years and a very unpopular assistant and replaced him with a manager at the top of his game in his country who has won silverware and an assistant (or Director of Football, whatever position Nicholl is officially determined to be) who has decades of experience. We've also kept a coach who equally has an extreme depth of experience.

It's a shame Stubbs didn't work out, but we've moved quickly and at this moment it looks like we have ended up with a better option rather than having to compromise from one of "the usual suspects".

14 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's Miller's constant dismissal of anything that isn't Aberdeen that rustles my jimmies. He's the least professional person in the BBC Sport team, and that's saying something.

Absolutely this. Detest his 'reporting' as he is often so negative and has a complete bias to Aberdeen which is much more noticeable than other presenters who have a team.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If Kearney had been appointed in the summer you'd maybe be welcoming Stubbs as your new manager now...

11 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Tell you what, I hadn't heard Kearney speak until his recent interview and I can see how he impressed the first time around.

That was kinda my point...

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

That makes your point even less clear.. :unsure:

I actually thought your point was that no matter who we brought in, we'd have sacked him in a matter of weeks.

No, Kearney, by all accounts, did a very good interview in the summer, and was pipped at the post by Stubbs. However, if he had made the start that Stubbs has made, he would have probably been out the door by now, and the new man unveiled (not necessarily Stubbs). No matter who you appointed in the summer, if he had made the start Stubbs did he'd have been out.

If you give Kearney time, he'll turn things round, but it might take him a season or two. He had 7 seasons at Coleraine, which is a considerable length of time in the Irish League where instant improvements are nearly mandatory. David Jeffrey is being given time at Ballymena and I'll nearly guarantee you he will bring them success, given another season or so.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I think you probably should have added that into your first post, as I certainly took it in the way I described it in my last post.

I thought it was obvious, quite frankly.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I thought it was obvious, quite frankly.

Obvious possibly but correct I don't think so...….the results have been poor but it is more the recruitment shambles and the destruction of morale, enthusiasm and general feel good around the place that did for Stubbs. That said, had Kearney achieved all of that he'd have been on his way too!!