The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, my very reasonable post suggesting that no St Mirren fans officially know whether he's staying or going certainly points to me being bothered.

Repeatedly replying on something you couldn't care less about suggests you care enough to repeatedly post. Or are you just bored?

Just now, RawB93 said:

Gonna be some serious heads gone on here if he does go.

While you're absolutely right, for me it's a bit like our relegation last season. I came to terms with it around Xmas time and just bit the pillow, ready. It made it so much easier to take when Morton finally sent us down at Cappielow... :whistle

Yesterday I was sure Jack was going. Now... He's almost certainly not. It's pleasing. 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

One minute he's on holiday the next he's actively signing players.  The whole shebang is full of contradictions.

Let me alleviate your confusion. Jack doesn't have to be physically present to guide said players' hands in the signing of a contract. Most of them are able to do this for themselves. :angel

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

See above - believe what I've said or believe it not. I totally understand your mistrust of a faceless poster on a football forum. New contract will be announced in due course I believe (not totally certain on that, but 90% certain.)

A new contract might well be announced and he may well stay, but if you're working off information in the public domain then it's easy to see why folk might doubt that he's staying.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

All sorts of folk using this thread to show how little they care about St Mirren's dealings, right enough.

You don't need to care about something to comment on it. It's close season and there is very little news, of course folk will jump all over stuff like this. Plus, the meltdown Div was having on twitter and some of the heads gone on here (kanyewestbank/Demented Zebra, I'm looking at you) meant this thread was well worth the watching.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

A new contract might well be announced and he may well stay, but if you're working off information in the public domain then it's easy to see why folk might doubt that he's staying.

You don't need to care about something to comment on it. It's close season and there is very little news, of course folk will jump all over stuff like this. Plus, the meltdown Div was having on twitter and some of the heads gone on here (kanyewestbank/Demented Zebra, I'm looking at you) meant this thread was well worth the watching.

Yer spot on to be fair. All part of the fun...

ETA: New contract will be signed next week. ;)

Edited by Soctty

Just now, Soctty said:

Let me alleviate your confusion. Jack doesn't have to be physically present to guide said players' hands in the signing of a contract. Most of them are able to do this for themselves. :angel

I do realise that but it's not much of a holiday if your still trying to get players signed while your away. My idea of a holiday is 2 weeks without worrying about work. I mean it's not as if there's going to be a queue for the likes of Reilly anyway.

Until he's sitting pictured with a pen in his hand signing a contract extension I'll remain a wee bit concerned that he's still technically liable to jump ship. 

Even following that, he could still duck out at any time. However, I hope that any club that can splash the money to take him on after that point would represent a huge move forward for him and one we'd be genuinely powerless to stand in the way of. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Plus, the meltdown Div was having on twitter and some of the heads gone on here (kanyewestbank/Demented Zebra, I'm looking at you) meant this thread was well worth the watching.

I'll give you that.

I think at the end of the day whatever happens st mirren haven't exactly done much to appease their fans. The club statements have confirmed nothing and if he's that keen to stay why are they wasting some of the budget by throwing  more cash at him.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

I do realise that but it's not much of a holiday if your still trying to get players signed while your away. My idea of a holiday is 2 weeks without worrying about work. I mean it's not as if there's going to be a queue for the likes of Reilly anyway.

James Fowler is still around - he was on hand when we signed Buchanan and Stewart on Friday. As you know, football managers don't really get to switch off during the summer - too much going on.

Reilly deal was dependent on Hearts agreeing a pay off with him, but is all but done I think. All players have suitors at different levels - once you've identified the ones tou want, best to get it done early just in case.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It would be incredibly naive of any manager to go away and completely forget about his team at this stage. Players can make up their minds quickly so if you f**k off for 2 weeks you could miss out on a target, there's no way they go away and completely ignore their work.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Until he's sitting pictured with a pen in his hand signing a contract extension I'll remain a wee bit concerned that he's still technically liable to jump ship. 

Even following that, he could still duck out at any time. However, I hope that any club that can splash the money to take him on after that point would represent a huge move forward for him and one we'd be genuinely powerless to stand in the way of. 

Chill. New contract will be signed - the meltdown era is over - for a while at least...

Daily Ranger ...

Ross STAYING at St Mirren

St Mirren manager Jack Ross
St Mirren manager Jack Ross (Photo: SNS Group)

St Mirren boss Jack Ross has confirmed he will stay on as Buddies manager despite an approach from Dundee .

It comes after Dens chief John Nelms flew out to Spain in a final bid to convince Ross to become their new manager – after Saints bosses issued a statement refusing permission for the Dark Blues to open talks with their boss.

It’s understood the American travelled abroad armed with a lucrative wage offer as well as plans to build a new purpose-built stadium in a bid to entice Ross to make the move.

But the 40-year-old this afternoon confirmed to Record Sport that he will remain at the Championship club.

BBC ...

St Mirren: Jack Ross reaffirms commitment to club despite Dundee interest

St Mirren manager Jack Ross
Dundee had a formal approach for manager Jack Ross rebuffed by St Mirren

St Mirren manager Jack Ross insists he remains "focused" on his position at the club despite interest from Dundee.

The Dens Park club had a formal approach for Ross rebuffed by St Mirren and the manager says he is committed to the Paisley side.

"I remain focused on continuing to build on the momentum we created last season," Ross said in a statement.

"It remains my responsibility to reward the loyalty of our supporters with a team which they can be proud of."

Ross became a target for Dundee after interim manager Neil McCann decided to leave Dens Park at the end of last season.

The St Mirren manager guided his team to safety in the Championship after taking over in October last year when they were bottom of the division.

"James [Fowler, the assistant manager] and I have put in a lot of hard work already and will continue to do so as we strive to prepare a squad capable of challenging in what will be a hugely competitive and demanding Championship," Ross added.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think at the end of the day whatever happens st mirren haven't exactly done much to appease their fans. The club statements have confirmed nothing and if he's that keen to stay why are they wasting some of the budget by throwing  more cash at him.

They've appeased the non-knicker wetters. Some are still a little nervous, but that's a hangover from the previous board's inactivity at times. They're giving him a new contract because there was a lucrative deal on offer at Dundee, which he's snubbed. His stock is rising, and his salary will go up to reflect that. He's of the utmost importance to the club at this point.

As said surely u would tell your assistant what needs done and then go on holiday. Fowler is experienced enough to sort everything out whilst he gets a few days peace on holiday.

Yo be honest if my manager was wanting to sign Gavin Reilly I'd drive him to Dundee myself.

If he's snubbed Dundee it's obviously not down to money so why bother paying him more when u don't have to.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Two things on this...

1. Reckon whatever way this ends up, Loy will not be at Saints next year.

2. If Ross stays will virginton be able to handle two such humiliating setbacks over such a short period of time?  Only just looked at this thread, and started at Page 32. No idea what was happening earlier, but VT's posts look pretty much identical to those for all but the last few weeks of the Saints relegation thread.  Will the poor moron never learn.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

As said surely u would tell your assistant what needs done and then go on holiday. Fowler is experienced enough to sort everything out whilst he gets a few days peace on holiday.

Yo be honest if my manager was wanting to sign Gavin Reilly I'd drive him to Dundee myself.

Jack has the trust of the fans - if he wants Reilly, I'm confident he'll get the best out of him. A guy who has a record of scoring at our level. Took the step up and didn't work out. Now a fresh start with two guys in Fowler and Ross who know what he's capable of.

Good managers don't rest on their laurels, or leave it all to others. Plus, a lot of the players we are signing have specifically talked about Jack as being one of the reasons they were keen to come to the club.