The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

Jack has released a statement via the club website.

He's staying. emoji1303.png

Are you kidding. There's absolutely no confirmation of anything in this statement. In fact I'd be more worried if I was a St Mirren fan after reading it. 

Following speculation regarding my position as the manager of the club, I can confirm that I remain focused on continuing to build on the momentum we created in the second half of last season. 

"James and I have put in a lot of hard work already and will continue to do so as we strive to prepare a squad capable of challenging in what will be a hugely competitive and demanding Championship.

"It remains my responsibility to reward the loyalty and passion of our supporters with a team which they can be proud of."

Jack Ross has issued the following statement to St Mirren supporters on the back of speculation linking him to the Dundee job. 

"Following speculation regarding my position as the manager of the club, I can confirm that I remain focused on continuing to build on the momentum we created in the second half of last season. 

"James and I have put in a lot of hard work already and will continue to do so as we strive to prepare a squad capable of challenging in what will be a hugely competitive and demanding Championship.

"It remains my responsibility to reward the loyalty and passion of our supporters with a team which they can be proud of."

Good enough for me :thumsup2

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

He could have said I will not be leaving the club this summer or even I am not interested in the Dundee job.

He didn't.

Correct. It skirts round the whole subject totally. What the fans needed to hear was I will categorically not be leaving St Mirren to join Dundee. Instead he just confirmed what you'd expect him to be doing at the club.

In fact whilst he says they will provide you with a team which you can be proud of he says feck all about whether he'll be managing it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Wholly and deliberately ambiguous I'd agree. Jack is simply hedging his bets which he's exactly correct to do. That he has even agreed to release this statement implies that he's swaying towards staying where he is but this of course could change. 

I'd find it strange that any statement is released at all if the intention is to bail though. 

He's clearly been asked by the chairman to release a mealy-mouthed statement to imply that he might be staying so that season ticket sales don't take too much of a hit.

It's littered with clichés you hear managers come out with shortly before they leave.

"I can confirm that I remain focused..."

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Are you kidding. There's absolutely no confirmation of anything in this statement. In fact I'd be more worried if I was a St Mirren fan after reading it. 

Following speculation regarding my position as the manager of the club, I can confirm that I remain focused on continuing to build on the momentum we created in the second half of last season. 

It's an odd comment that really doesn't say much. It looks an awful lot like St Mirren have said you HAVE to say something so he's come with a statement which fundamentally doesn't confirm or deny anything. It certainly doesn't resoundingly say he isn't interested.

It sounds like it's more likely to happen than not to be honest. Certainly if press reports of a fairly low buyout clause and a very large wage increase are accurate there's not a great deal St Mirren will be able to do to stop it happening if he wants to go. His stock is high now, it may never be as high again. It would be a big shout to turn the opportunity down.

Reading it again it is pretty wooly, don't know why he'd bother issueing a statement at all though if he was going to leave.

He still works for St Mirren so he has to do whatever he is told. Looks to me as if he's been told he has to release a statement.

Regardless of what Ross is thinking, it's clear to see that your chairman is worried.

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

He still works for St Mirren so he has to do whatever he is told. Looks to me as if he's been told he has to release a statement.

Regardless of what Ross is thinking, it's clear to see that your chairman is worried.

:lol: I agree that it's deliberately vague but I love CSI Dundee here going through the statement and coming to the conclusion is that he's clearly been told to issue it under duress. 

:lol: I agree that it's deliberately vague but I love CSI Dundee here going through the statement and coming to the conclusion is that he's clearly been told to issue it under duress. 

That's not what I'm saying at all. FWIW I think he'll stay, but it's a strange statement to release through choice. I'd imagine that if he 100% knew he was staying he'd come out and point blank deny any interest in him. That's why it seems forced to me.