The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Trump said:

You said Hartley had taken them as far as he could. I'm telling you he could have taken them further if he hadn't signed absolute dug meat. I'm sure when Ross goes he will sign better and have Dundee challenging.

Perhaps, book mark it and gloat when Dundee are in the Champions league.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

What exactly is over the top about saying our manager has genuine promise and that in the last 25 years none of our previous managers have gone on to bigger jobs?

You're definitely at it. Or you've forgotten that it was the Scottish Championship St Mirren were playing in last season and not the Champions League. 

So since last few seasons under Hartley like I said. Thanks for clearing that up.:lol:

I'm pretty sure you said Shankly. It's okay, though, your confusion is understandable given the absolute mess you are in just now.

St Mirren have issued two statements tonight.
Chairman Gordon Scott has said 'Dundee can f**k off'.
And Jack Ross said 'Dundee are too wee a club to even considering moving to.'
The matter is now closed.

Just now, Jimmy85 said:

You're definitely at it. Or you've forgotten that it was the Scottish Championship St Mirren were playing in last season and not the Champions League. 

Regardless of the league, we were fucking dead and buried at the end of January, gone. 2 defeats in our last 13 games, 25 points from the seemingly irredeemable mess we were in is some going, I don't give a toss what league it's in. It was a remarkable turnaround.

Shankly and then Hartley how many years in between.

Several.

As for Ross, I think that might be the end of it. What an absolute state St Mirren fans managed to get themselves into when we only wanted to speak to him and the media had listed him as our 'main candidate'.

Imagine if there was something a bit more substantial to this. Oft. The seethe is strong in you lads.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Regardless of the league, we were fucking dead and buried at the end of January, gone. 2 defeats in our last 13 games, 25 points from the seemingly irredeemable mess we were in is some going, I don't give a toss what league it's in. It was a remarkable turnaround.

You're shifting the goal posts with every passing minute. I don't think anyone will dispute that it was a remarkable turnaround but the cliche ridden hyperbole posted earlier was clearly someone getting a tad excited about winning some games in quite possibly the worst Championship ever. 

Edited by Jimmy85

39 minutes ago, K.T said:

I'm not trying to imply you're insane for thinking Jack Ross won't go to Dundee. I'm not bothered either way. But the absolute state you've all got yourself into on this thread (and div on twitter) at the mere suggestion of it, off the back of a column in the pishy evening telegraph. Deary me. You're more deluded than the Falkirk fans. One guy has been leafing through Dundees accounts to try and justify why he would stay at St Mirren ffs.

TopCat found, sorry Lex LOL ! 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Several.

As for Ross, I think that might be the end of it. What an absolute state St Mirren fans managed to get themselves into when we only wanted to speak to him and the media had listed him as our 'main candidate'.

Imagine if there was something a bit more substantial to this. Oft. The seethe is strong in you lads.

I'm quite sure you never wanted him anyway:lol:

I think the most likely explanation is that you were unwilling/unable to pay compensation. If Ross wanted to go he'd have gone. As another poster said it's all about money. 

Ross will move on at some point if he's a success and get booted out if he's not. That's football. I doubt I'll be seething either way.

Hartley was in the same position. He was booted out because he stopped winning. 

Just now, Jimmy85 said:

You're shifting the goal posts with every passing minute. I don't think anyone will dispute that it was a remarkable turnaround but the cliche ridden hyperbole posted earlier was clearly someone getting a tad excited about winning some games in the quite possibly the worst Championship ever. 

Again, I'm not saying that we were the best St. Mirren side I've ever seen. Far from it. In terms of attacking football, creating chances, pace, width and actually putting the ball in the net, it's some of the most exciting stuff I've seen in many, many years.

We were relatively successful under Gus MacPherson whilst shitfesting our way to 1-0s but it wasn't great to watch the vast majority of the time, similarly with Danny Lennon. The football over the last few months was exciting, fast and thoroughly enjoyable.

Again, I'm not saying that we were the best St. Mirren side I've ever seen. Far from it. In terms of attacking football, creating chances, pace, width and actually putting the ball in the net, it's some of the most exciting stuff I've seen in many, many years.
We were relatively successful under Gus MacPherson whilst shitfesting our way to 1-0s but it wasn't great to watch the vast majority of the time, similarly with Danny Lennon. The football over the last few months was exciting, fast and thoroughly enjoyable.

That's the point. It was the most I've enjoyed watching us since 99/00. Like then you felt we could score in every match and did it by being very attacking. Although that year was obviously better.

I'm quite sure you never wanted him anyway[emoji38]
I think the most likely explanation is that you were unwilling/unable to pay compensation. If Ross wanted to go he'd have gone. As another poster said it's all about money. 
Ross will move on at some point if he's a success and get booted out if he's not. That's football. I doubt I'll be seething either way.
Hartley was in the same position. He was booted out because he stopped winning. 

I'd have liked him, he'd probably have been my first choice but it was getting to the point where I was beginning to want him just to see you guys reaction. I won't cry over spilled milk if we don't get him because at the end of the day, he's not proven anything and we both know that IF Dundee wanted him, we'd come back to your board and take him from you.

As I said though, you lot got yourselves into such a state over us just wanting to speak to him, nevermind try and appoint him. [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah but you're shifting the goal posts even further now. The original post stated Ross has you believing that it's your turn to overachieve like Thistle and St Johnstone, two top clubs currently in the top six in the top flight. 

That's not a reference to the style of football played, that's a direct comparison to the 4th best side in the country. 

Just now, Jimmy85 said:

Yeah but you're shifting the goal posts even further now. The original post stated Ross has you believing that it's your turn to overachieve like Thistle and St Johnstone, two top clubs currently in the top six in the top flight. 

That's not a reference to the style of football played, that's a direct comparison to the 4th best side in the country. 

I also included Hamilton in there who you conveniently omitted. Could also make an example of Ross County as well. 

For what it's worth, overachievement in my eyes for a club like ourselves would to be 7th or 8th in the top flight given it's a position we haven't reached in a long time. 

Again, what is wrong with believing we have a gaffer who could potentially do something a bit special with us, comparatively speaking? 

So Gordon Scott has told Dundee to GTF, surely if Jack makes it clear he wants to leave this means f**k all? Have Dundee even officially pulled out of negotiations?

Like I said before, I'd be surprised if Dundee were willing to really push the boat out on a relatively unproven manager anyway,