The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is Jack Ross really worthy of all this quite staggering fawning over?

The main reason for all the reaction is that Ross has completely galvanised the club. He's got the fans players and everyone else involved buying into something that we haven't seen since Sir Govan was at the helm.

Doesnt happen very often for Diddy clubs and we all want him to at least stay for a couple of years to see if he can finish the job.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Probably. It's the way of football these days. I am not having a go at him.

Me neither. I'll be disappointed if goes but not too bothered. He's a promising young manager just like Hartley was once. 

2 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Slavering mess ^^^^^^

When the last 30 years have you done better? I had to google to check. Because outside of Dundee no one cares. When did you last win a major trophy? When was the last time you were out of united's shadow. Big team my arse. 

AinsleyHarriotYouSeemUpset.jpg

LoL. 
What has Ross done that Hartley hasn't? Do you think it was just by luck Hartley got Dundee into the top six. Next you'll be saying that Falkirk would have won the playoff if only they never had Houston in charge.

Dundee had Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart which masked a lot of Hartley's weaknesses, two players that would have walked into any team except Celtic at the time. Yes he got lucky. He signed a lot of shite and was found out eventually.

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about Falkirk, it makes no sense in any way whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is Jack Ross really worthy of all this quite staggering fawning over?

Indeed he is. We don't often/ever get a manager who is genuinely a breath of fresh air who we believe could make us overachieve for a bit. Clubs like St. Johnstone, Accies, Partick Thistle all get their turn. We thought we had it with tom Hendrie and he went a bit sideways awfully quick.

St. Mirren has been a gaffer's graveyard for the best part of 30 years now. Forgive us if we get excited when a guy with genuine promise comes along once a generation! :P

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably not. 

He's the first decent manager we've had for a while and don't want to lose him. Other decent managers are available

Slavering mess ^^^^^^
When the last 30 years have you done better? I had to google to check. Because outside of Dundee no one cares. When did you last win a major trophy? When was the last time you were out of united's shadow. Big team my arse. 

"Outside United's shadow" hahaha that's a belter I'll give you that. That'll be the same United that's stuck in the second tier of Scottish football whilst we comfortably survive in the top flight?

Your posts get better and better. I'd tell our to take a minute to calm down but this is fucking hilarious.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Indeed he is. We don't often/ever get a manager who is genuinely a breath of fresh air who we believe could make us overachieve for a bit. Clubs like St. Johnstone, Accies, Partick Thistle all get their turn. We thought we had it with tom Hendrie and he went a bit sideways awfully quick.

St. Mirren has been a gaffer's graveyard for the best part of 30 years now. Forgive us if we get excited when a guy with genuine promise comes along once a generation! :P

Fucking settle :lol: 

Just now, RossDee01 said:

"Outside United's shadow" hahaha that's a belter I'll give you that. That'll be the same United that's stuck in the second tier of Scottish football whilst we comfortably survive in the top flight?

Your posts get better and better. I'd tell our to take a minute to calm down but this is fucking hilarious.

I'd tell you to take a minute to proof read. 

I said when was the last time you were out of united's shadow. When was it? When Shankley was your manager?

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I can understand it to a certain extent as Alex Neil was that kind of manager for us. It just seems like an awful lot of hyperbole from some Saints on here.

And rightly so to be honest. The turnaround from what was the outright worst St. Mirren side I've ever seen, to the most exciting, attacking side in 20 years was quite astonishing. It's gotten a lot of folk carried away a bit with what he can do with a full season under his belt. Fact of the matter is though, I did and still do rate Alex Neil massively as he seems to be something a bit different and I still think he'll go out and carve a massively successful career in England, irrespective of how it all ended at Norwich. Jack certainly has the potential to follow the same sort of route Alex Neil went.

7 minutes ago, Trump said:

Dundee had Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart which masked a lot of Hartley's weaknesses, two players that would have walked into any team except Celtic at the time. Yes he got lucky. He signed a lot of shite and was found out eventually.

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about Falkirk, it makes no sense in any way whatsoever.

My point is that we give managers credit for things like signing Hemmings and Stewart if we like them and don't give them credit for that if we don't like them. 

We had a similar situation when we signed Thompson, Teale, Tesslar, Carey and McGowan. Those fans that like Lennon gave him credit for signing the players those than never liked him gave the credit to others. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Fucking settle :lol: 

What exactly is over the top about saying our manager has genuine promise and that in the last 25 years none of our previous managers have gone on to bigger jobs?

1 minute ago, Trump said:

Let's not forget St Mirren avoided the relegation playoff on goal difference last season, that's joint ninth place. You'd think they'd won the treble the way they are going on about it. Achieving what Morton done last season would be success for the buddies next season.

In quite possibly the worst Championship ever. I mean Greenock fucking Morton finished in a play off spot. 

My point is that we give managers credit for things like signing Hemmings and Stewart if we like them and don't give them credit for that if we don't like them. 
We had a similar situation when we signed Thompson, Teale, Tesslar, Carey and McGowan. Those fans that like Lennon gave him credit for signing the players those than never liked him gave the credit to others. 

You said Hartley had taken them as far as he could. I'm telling you he could have taken them further if he hadn't signed absolute dug meat. I'm sure when Ross goes he will sign better and have Dundee challenging.

3 minutes ago, Trump said:

Let's not forget St Mirren avoided the relegation playoff on goal difference last season, that's joint ninth place. You'd think they'd won the treble the way they are going on about it. Achieving what Morton done last season would be success for the buddies next season.

Agreed, When Ross was signed I thought we'd escape relegation, I never thought we'd do the fucking ridiculously hard way. For all we had a great run at then, we were shite under Ross up until the last 15 games.